31.25%
1-3 years and I've hated it
3.13%
more than 3 years and I still love it
27.08%
More than 3 years and I've hated every year
0%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

How long have you had your car and how has it treated you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
3 years and I hate this POS...

I picked mine up new in August of 2002 and still love driving it every time I get in. It's probably going with me to the grave

Old 05-14-2009, 12:28 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Bought it Feb of 08. Love my car. Hate the rattles lol esp the one in my passenger seat grah

Old 05-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by G35papa

I picked mine up new in August of 2002 and still love driving it every time I get in. It's probably going with me to the grave

Wow 02! I got mine in August of 05 and still love it. No plans to get rid of it but would like to dump a lot more money in it.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
picked up my '02 skyline 300gt less than a month ago. 40,000k on the clock. love it. came from tubo skylines and was a little worried about it feeling slow. first auto ive ever owned as well. loving every minute of it. took a chance by making a change with the style of car and it has payed off.

pretty surprised by how well the power comapares to the gtst and even gts25t i had as well.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Purchased the 05 5AT Sedan in Jan. 2006 new.
Now, has 32K miles

Replaced the POS RSA tires at 20K miles. Very disappointed.

Replaced the rear brakes at 30K, they were shot. Very disappointed.

Currently, the front brakes pads are fine, but the rotors are warped. Very disappointed.

Window seal went bad causing a whistling noise. Had to be replaced. Very disappointed.

Several months ago, started the car and heard this very loud engine tick!
Infiniti replaced the timing chain tensioner. Very disappointed.

The sedan is now at the dealership due to the SES light on for the third time.
First time, they replaced the intake timing gizz-mo.
Second time, they replace the engine oil.
Now, they tell me that they need to replace the cam sprocket and y gasket...
Very disappointed.

By now, I've actually owned more Nissan/Infiniti's than Fords.
I have to say that at 32K miles this car has had more problems than any of my past Fords!!

As far as problems, it's now competing with the 1984 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z POS that I purchased new back in 1984

Did I mention that I was Very disappointed.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:31 AM
It sounds like you ^ may have a case for lemon law replacement.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Was reading about the law just last night!!
Not happy having somebody crack open my engine twice now!!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
purchased new in Aug. 05.

now have 37,000 miles.

love the car, only one big complaint i have, no F-ing Suspension for us dam X'ers.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:25 PM
this is like asking "do you guys like go-cart?" in a go-cart club..

Old 05-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
It sounds like you ^ may have a case for lemon law replacement.
Naw. Brakes wear out, especially high performance brakes like you'll find on the G. It's the price you pay. Own a high performance Benz, BMW, Porsche, etc. and you should expect to replace brakes every 20-30K miles. It's a given. The timing chain tensioner is a common problem and VERY easy to fix. The RSA tires suck, but almost all OEM tires are crap. As for his new problem, that's a rarity. I have no idea what a "y" is he's referring to.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
I've read that its hit and miss and there's probably no way for me to know if mine will be effected or not. I probably shouldn't worry too much about consumption because I don't drive all that often and the car will probably spend over 90% of its life (with me) being babied. I was really worried about this at first but I figure its like almost ever other problem I have read about on the internet. Things have a way of being blown out of proportion once the reach the net.

What issues does the 6-speed have? I've read that they can be tricky to shift smoothly but haven't seen anything else.
It's about 1 in 3 cars now. It's a major problem. If you buy one, MAKE DAMN sure it's a certified Infiniti car and still under warranty because if the car doesn't have adequate documentation of regular oil changes, you'll be the one paying the $6K bill for a new long block.

As for the tranny, the POS Asisn/Warner 6MT used in the G, Z, new Caddy CTS, and a few others is now on it's 9th redesign. It has very weak syncros, weak clutch (expect 20K-50K miles if driven decently hard), noisy throw-out bearings, lots of vibration thru the shifter, odd clutch take-up, and an unserviceable dual-mass flywheel. Nearly every review I've read of a new and long term G and Z notes that the 1st and 2nd gear syncros are on the way out and many mags note that they're diehard shift-your-own types of guys, but in the 03-08 G/Z, the automatic is a better choice. Not until the 09 370Z came out have they said the 6MT is finally worthy. Lots and lots of G and Z owners are on their 2nd and 3rd 6MTs.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Naw. Brakes wear out, especially high performance brakes like you'll find on the G. It's the price you pay. Own a high performance Benz, BMW, Porsche, etc. and you should expect to replace brakes every 20-30K miles. It's a given. The timing chain tensioner is a common problem and VERY easy to fix. The RSA tires suck, but almost all OEM tires are crap. As for his new problem, that's a rarity. I have no idea what a "y" is he's referring to.
Have owned many cars and never replaced the REAR brakes before the fronts.

I was told by the tech's that the tensioner was not a common problem.

The Y gasket (at least that's what they called it) can be seen in the engine FSM pdf between the heads
NC Lemon law comes into play when a car is returned for the same problem more than 3 times or the car is at the dealership for more than 20 days for the same problem. In my case, this would be the SES light that they can not resolve.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:07 PM
bought my x just after my son was born last may. haven't had any major complaints, although, if i had it to do again, i think that i was fine with a six speed last time, i could have done it again. i miss that. the x seems overly sackless for an awd model. oh well. next time.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:42 PM
This is really bad news because I am not planning on getting the car through a dealer There are no infiniti dealers within 200 miles. This is kind of a surprise too because all of the magazines say it is the most reliable of all the cars I am looking at

Originally Posted by DaveB
It's about 1 in 3 cars now. It's a major problem. If you buy one, MAKE DAMN sure it's a certified Infiniti car and still under warranty because if the car doesn't have adequate documentation of regular oil changes, you'll be the one paying the $6K bill for a new long block.

As for the tranny, the POS Asisn/Warner 6MT used in the G, Z, new Caddy CTS, and a few others is now on it's 9th redesign. It has very weak syncros, weak clutch (expect 20K-50K miles if driven decently hard), noisy throw-out bearings, lots of vibration thru the shifter, odd clutch take-up, and an unserviceable dual-mass flywheel. Nearly every review I've read of a new and long term G and Z notes that the 1st and 2nd gear syncros are on the way out and many mags note that they're diehard shift-your-own types of guys, but in the 03-08 G/Z, the automatic is a better choice. Not until the 09 370Z came out have they said the 6MT is finally worthy. Lots and lots of G and Z owners are on their 2nd and 3rd 6MTs.

Last edited by 01amberfirewv; 05-16-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
ISD March 05 currently 45,116 miles (deployments) love it but I still get the new car bug from time to time. I almost just bought a 08 M3 demo car with 1500 miles on it for $47K but at $800 payments if I can't fit the family and furniture in it, then it had to stay on the lot. It was my color too (silver) OMG you should feel the power. It got to 110MPH about the same time my car takes to get to 70ish. Oh well I hope someone jumped on that deal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How long have you had your car and how has it treated you?