G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

One man's quest to make his G sedan what it should have been from the factory...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
I'll look around. I've been successful in finding good stuff in the classifieds before

Old 09-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im just looking for the rear, the fronts dont fit the front X. Thats why I keep looking at the evo sway bars because they sell them seperately and they are cheap on top of that.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the evo sway is longer available....i bought one about a month back and never got anything in the mail. 2 days ago i emailed them and they refund me saying the sway is no longer in stock!!!! What the hades?!?!?

Old 09-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by elimelech12
the evo sway is longer available....i bought one about a month back and never got anything in the mail. 2 days ago i emailed them and they refund me saying the sway is no longer in stock!!!! What the hades?!?!?
Go with the Cobb RSB then.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thanx man...i'll check it out!

Old 09-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
4mer,

As promised here is my review of the HKS muffler. I'll break it into 3 parts based on different configurations (all include the HR y-pipe)

1. HKS, z tube, coupe mid
Definitely louder than stock. Deep rumble, melodic tone, nowhere near obnoxious like some other exhausts I've heard. My only concerns were a fair amount of drone between 1500 and 2500 RPM and the sound was 'loose' and 'airy'. Kind of a sloppy sound for lack of a better description.

2. HKS, coupe mid (no z tube)
IMHO much better. Lost almost all of the drone and the sound 'tightened up' a lot. Now sounds cleaner and more linear. Didn't seem to change the volume at all. Still nice deep, melodic rumble and more of what I was looking for.

3. HKS, 05 sedan mid (no z tube)
Way too quiet. HKS sound almost disappears. Sounds very similar to the stock coupe sound, not what I was looking for.

So, I sold the z tube, put the coupe mid back on and am loving my new setup. I could be totally wrong, but I feel the car drives a little bit smoother with the G tube.

Overall I'm really happy with the change. I don't think this added any HP so if that's important to you this probably isn't the way you want to go. This setup retains the beautiful sound of the VQ at a higher volume when pushed but very civil otherwise. Highly recommended for those of you who don't want to spend an arm and a leg to improve the sound of your ride.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
^ good write up! Appreciate the info.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Blue Dream, I'm right there with your findings with G-tube vs the Z-tube. I sold my Z-tube a while ago.

Today I did another auto-x event and a friend watching me said my G was far louder than the Nismo 370Z racing out there. All my G has is the RevUp airbox, MD spacer, HR y-pipe, and 05/06 sedan midpipe. That quiet 370 got me too. 57.6 to my 58.6.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Hey being only one second slower than a brand new 370 with a 6 year old sedan is nothing to scoff at!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:42 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by DaveB
Blue Dream, I'm right there with your findings with G-tube vs the Z-tube. I sold my Z-tube a while ago.

Today I did another auto-x event and a friend watching me said my G was far louder than the Nismo 370Z racing out there. All my G has is the RevUp airbox, MD spacer, HR y-pipe, and 05/06 sedan midpipe. That quiet 370 got me too. 57.6 to my 58.6.
It was actually one of your posts that got me to even try swapping them out. Probably never would have tried it if I hadn't stumbled across it. I was really surprised at the difference. You've been a great help to a lot of us on here, don't let the haters keep you from doing your thing!!

I was also surprised at how much the sedan mid muffled the HKS. I had previously said I'd try it for a week and report back, but all it took was one drive and that bi**h came right back off.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I was also surprised at how much the sedan mid muffled the HKS. I had previously said I'd try it for a week and report back, but all it took was one drive and that bi**h came right back off.
Well that makes two of us. I couldn't believe how muffled it was with the Sedan midpipe either. Talk about a huge difference!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Great feeback all...it really helps!

My review on the G37 HR y-pipe...
I slapped on the y-pipe Friday and let me just say that there IS a difference and in a very positive way. Before I put it on I honed out the opening of the downtubes just a tad with a rotozip. My theory is that it would smooth the transisition from the larger cats to the smaller downtube opening on the y-pipe. I have no idea if this did anything at all, but at least in my mind I'm content with my theory.

1) Sound... Coupled with the coupe mid it sounds exactly how I want it too. A tad bit exotic, but still throaty without any rasp whatsoever. That being said, I rode in the back on the way home from my friends while my girl drove and there was a little bit of backseat drone at certain RPM's (low - 1800 or so). It wasn't annoying, but I could tell it was there. My son (16) was clueless and said he didn't hear anything out of place. There could have been a little backseat drone before with just the coupe mid, but I've never rode in back before so I wouldn't know. On the freeway it's just as quiet as stock, you don't even notice it. Basically, I'm set with this exhaust setup, I love it! Cost = $200 total with shipping + a few cans of paint for the mid and for repainting my stock muffler.

2) Driveability... For whatever reason and it makes no sense to me, but the downshifts are much smoother. They used to be very noticeable, but now I only notice if I'm really paying attention. Shifting just seems smoother overall across the board. I think this has been consistent with what everyone else experienced.

3) Butt dyno... This is of course in no way scientific and I'm bummed that I can't do a real before and after dyno. It may be all in my head, but I can feel a slight difference in the low end TQ. I just seems to pull a tad bit harder off the line than before.

All in all, it's a great cheap mod. In my opinion and from what I can feel, the smaller downtube opening of the G37 HR y-pipe makes no difference and shouldn't deter anyone from getting one. I don't feel as if I lost anything in the power department that's for sure.

One thing that did bother me that I noticed when riding in the back was the coupe mid tapping my 350evo sway a couple times. It's never done it until I had the car loaded with peeps in the back this weekend. A couple of decent bumps in the road jarred it enough to make a slight clunk. I think the HR y-pipe is just a tad bit more flexible.??? Either way I'll keep an eye on it. I won't make a descision on whether or not I want to change it out until I get the Z/G springs in.

And last but not least I started the process of repainting my coupe 18's... I finished one last night and it looks pretty damn good for rattle can job I must say. Even my girl said it looked amazing and wanted me to paint her rims on her Sebring. Lol! The Duplicolor wheel paint is top notch in my opinion. I suck at painting and it even made my crappy skills look good!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:16 PM
John,

Glad the HR y-pipe worked out for you. Time for some Altima exhaust tips to show off the system. We'll have to hit up KCIR one Sunday afternoon and run the Gs.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
^ I'll be up for that for sure after I get my newly purchased D-Specs (THMotorsports ) on with the Z/G springs. That should be all installed in the next couple of weeks. I decided to just stop being a tight a** and go for the D-Specs because I plan on keeping this car forever. Next up I have to buy TPMS sensors for the coupe rims and new tires...

Speaking of tires, I'm kind of torn... Of course I've scoured the forum with the search feature and short of reading every thread I need some advice. And just in case it's mentioned, don't...I won't even consider running staggered.

1) 245/45/18 - This is a real meaty option at about 1 1/4 inches wider than the stock 17's... Diameter is a just bit taller as well.

2) 235/45/18 - About 3/4 of an inch wider and the same diameter as the stock 17's...

3) 245/40/18 - Same width as the 245/45/18's but the diameter is about .5 inches shorter than the stock 17's.? Makes me worrying about the wheel gap after the drop with Z/G springs.

So what's the best option for the Z/G with coupe 18's??? I'm struggling with this one since I'm having a hard time finding good pics. I'm leaning towards the 245/45/18 just to have a little more meat on the pavement. My second choice would be the 235/45/18's though, which generally are a little cheaper.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I vote for option 2.

1) Personally i don't like the meaty look.
3) I think you will having too much wheel gap with the z/g combo.

Are you running the 05-06 muffler or the 03-04?

The reason I ask is the 05-06 muffler don't look like they need to be upgraded tips, the tips are already flush to the bumper. From the pics I seen of 03-04 the tips seems smaller and do not sit flush to the bumper, hence why the Fat boys tip are a good mod.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: One man's quest to make his G sedan what it should have been from the factory...