G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

eBay Blackout headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've considered picking up a set solely for projector retro...

Old 11-11-2009, 09:21 PM
blkonblkGsedan: hahah thanks ill give it a try

Dark: i was thinking about doing the same thing, but am still worried about the HID heat on these lenses

Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by blkonblkGsedan
im not comparing reflectors on oem hids with halogen reflectors with aftermarket hids installed, you misunderstood what i said. The guy Truth was bashing the other one for getting the Ebay halogen headlights and installing hids on them saying that he probably has a ricer glare. And i said that how would it be any different than hid's installed on a G that came stock with halogen headlights which is what many people did including myself and i don't have a ricer glare
I said that because HID kits are garbage. I guess knowing Larry Wu(Litto Devil) and going to his house watching his crazy HID experiments has my views pretty extreme but I have not seen a kit that did not give off excess glare. I can't imagine HID in a non HID housing would reflect very good output.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Truth
I said that because HID kits are garbage. I guess knowing Larry Wu(Litto Devil) and going to his house watching his crazy HID experiments has my views pretty extreme but I have not seen a kit that did not give off excess glare. I can't imagine HID in a non HID housing would reflect very good output.
The reflectors on the "eBay JDM blacked-out knockoffs" are almost identical to those in the OEM HID's, the geometric facets look to be the same, the only difference I saw was that on two of the facets ( the horizontal ones just below the bulb) the OEM reflector is smooth where the eBay lights have the grid pattern that is on all the other facets. If they are not glued in there and can be removed I'll change those out too but I doubt it will make much difference in the projection pattern when using the OEM bulb assembly.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Truth
My car didn't come with hids and it has great output when I put Hids, but I got it on the low beams and fogs, 8000k each. It has some glare if you're standing in front of the car but not for oncoming drivers, only to people standing in front of it lol

Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by CAtoPA6mt
Dark: i was thinking about doing the same thing, but am still worried about the HID heat on these lenses
The ebay headlights are designed for halogens which produce more heat than HIDs anyways, there should be no issues with heat running HIDs.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
really?? well if you decide to sell them i would definitely be interested. but i only need the drivers side.. what kind of condition are they in? how much would you want for the 1 (or both if you will only sell them as a pair)?
Sorry I wont just sell one. I will take pics of them this week. Let you look at them and then we can talk price.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Dark, yea i thought HID ran cooler, but someone told me that the area on the lens that the HID hits gets white and eventually bubbles and spider cracks.. didnt make much sense to me cuz of the whole runs cooler thing, but im still tryin to cover all my bases.. thanks for the feedback

FlyingLumpia, sounds good, let me know when you have the pics. thanks, talk to you soon

Old 11-12-2009, 11:46 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Dark is right. I can tell you from personal experiance HID is cooler than Halogen. Also, CAtoPA6mt, you do realize that "JDM" stands for "Japanese Domestic Market" and means you're talking about the stock part from the Japanese version of the car, not a brand name right? JDM gets trown on tones of parts that aren't really JDM.

Everyone who decideds to get these, please post back with a review. I would like to know I have a cheap backup plan incase I mess up my stock ones doing a projector mod.

Last edited by NFSP G35; 11-13-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:36 AM
nfsp1, yea i knew what it stood for, but the ones i got had no brand name on the site and i didnt see one on the ebay site either.. so just used what they had written to describe them.. but no i didnt realize they lable non-JDM parts with JDM, still somewhat of a noob i guess

thanks for confirming the heat issue.. have you personally thrown an HID kit on halogen assemblies before?

Old 11-13-2009, 02:08 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
I haven't done that with G35 headlights, but I did do a projector retrofit on the 2000 Trans-Am I had. Projectors didn't get as hot with HIDs in them as they did with Halogens

Old 11-13-2009, 02:27 AM
aright cool thanks man

Old 11-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
HIDs always run cooler, why you might ask?

High Intensity discharge lamps fire once, to react the metal and gas salts forming a plama which then emits the lights using the arc.

Halogens on the other hand, constantly fire pumping electricity through the filament.

This is also why HID and gas based bulbs are cost efficient. Those sodium lights used in gas stations take about 10 minutes to heat up but save about 50% of the electricity a halogen would.

HIDs, going green without even knowin' it

Old 11-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by blkonblkGsedan
It has some glare if you're standing in front of the car but not for oncoming drivers, only to people standing in front of it lol
But that would also glare to people driving in their cars as well.

A few weeks ago I had an '03 sedan with aftermarket HID kit behind me on the highway...and i couldn't see crap. Even with my dimming rearview mirror and tint, the glare was bad enough i had to move over and let him pass me.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
aright cool thanks man
I did 8000k hids top and bottom on each headlight (halogen headlight assemblies) no issues

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: eBay Blackout headlights?