G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Anyone else getting that Depressed feeling from getting your G ready for winter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I've driven 10 winters with RWD and snow tires...

and 1 winter with AWD and all-seasons.

AWD was hands down more comfortable to drive than RWD with snow tires. Plenty of situations where having the front wheels able to drive helps out. Biggest difference i found was turning. Give it some power and the front wheels help bring the car around. With RWD (even with snows), i found understeering in real slick stuff to be a prob. I used to dread going out in a blizzard/nor'easter with my RWD cars. Even parking was a hassle because i'd sometimes hang the inside rear wheel up on the unplowed snow near the curb and get myself stuck. AWD just makes it more comfortable. Throw the car anywhere and it would get out easily...even with all-seasons. Stress level went WAAAAY down.

But this winter, i'm putting snows on the AWD. Can't wait!

Old 11-09-2009, 03:07 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I just have a few reasons why i am going to make the switch. Biggest reason is i am probably going to share the car with my dad and he wants the AWD.

2. I am dumb and enjoy driving during the worst part of storms as i like to explore unplowed parking lots, roads, etc.

3. I drove my sisters fiances 93 Subaru Wagon with crappy used snow tires and even that was just amazing in the snow. It was honestly like driving on pavement. You don't slip or anything. So nice.

4. If i am driving home on the interstate and there are massive drifts of snow and its blizzarding, i want to make sure i dont get hung up on anything and then stuck.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry but I love it The G is in the heated garage on jack stand were I can work on it all winter.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Aw man, a RWD G on a $500 set of snow tires will run circles around an AWD G on all season rubber.
I will admit, I get a kick out of passing Expeditions, Pilots, and other 'all-wheel drive' cars that are stuck in the snow...

Old 11-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Im starting to get depressed! We just had a 70 degree sunny weekend in Chicago, I'm pretty sure we wont see that again until May! Gave her the last handwash of the season. Snow tires will probably go on end of the month.

I dont mind driving in the snow, I actually enjoy it. I just dont look forward to the 654 trillion tons of salt they cover the streets in every year. Makes me cringe seeing my BO sedan turn IP after a couple days. Car washes only help so much

Old 11-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY21
Im starting to get depressed! We just had a 70 degree sunny weekend in Chicago, I'm pretty sure we wont see that again until May!
Yep. It was almost 80 here in KC over the weekend. Typical weird Midwest weather. Too me, unseasonably warm weather in the Fall means snow will come very soon. I won't be surprised if we see a big Artic blast in 2 weeks.

I dont mind driving in the snow, I actually enjoy it. I just dont look forward to the 654 trillion tons of salt they cover the streets in every year. Makes me cringe seeing my BO sedan turn IP after a couple days. Car washes only help so much
I don't like driving in the snow simply because there are too many yahoos in their 4WD/AWD vehicles that fail to understand that 4WD/AWD doesn't stop you faster. I trust my driving abilities, but no one else's. If it snows during the day while I'm work, I'll usually stay late (7pm+) and let all the crazy's get home first, pack the snow, and let the snow crews clear the roads a bit. There's no way I'm driving in rush hour traffic with snow falling.

As for black cars and winter, there's good reason why my black G runs anthracite painted rims in the winter

Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Its in the 50s up here in Fargo. Bring on the snow! My sister is putting new tires on the Subaru when i go home for Thanksgiving. W00t!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I envy people with good weather all year round. I would be happy with just cold winters and no snow

Old 11-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't wait for my first winter in my x. First time i have ever had an AWD car. It snowed a couple of inches in October and even on my all-seasons i was pretty impressed. I was going to buy some michelin x-ice xi2's but i think i will wait until after the first big storm and see how things go. I have been spending a ton of money after buying my first house. So much more crap to buy and i want to see what i can do without.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter its not all bad. Nothing like a good strong pull when its freezing out and no snow/ice. That cold air does wonders. I call it my winter mod good for at least a few more horses on the but dyno.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^I was actually going to mention that earlier. IDK about the G, but my 2000 Trans-Am had Ram Air, and lower temps made a huge difference. I remember the first really cold morning, a few months after I got it, going "Holy crap! Where did this extra power come from?" Then I thought about it for a min.... oh yeah, kinda like the ultimate CAI