G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

automatics...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
I can't even begin to waste my time quoting all that **** lol

But as for the last comment I read before getting lazy, I made my offer on an 04 track pack Z today. Boy Do I love driving manual cars.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL this is has been one of the funniest and entertaining forums I've read so far. IMO it really all depends on the driver who is driving the car at that moment. Auto or manual.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:29 AM
Wow, I need to start doing some research on my car, I know s*** about it compare to you guys.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:37 AM
According to Tangerine, nobody knows ****.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tangerine
Then why do most traditional manual transmission cars have faster 0-60 times than their traditional auto counterpart? Gearing plays a role, I'll give you that but we are talking about shift speeds.
It really depends on the auto. If you're talking about a car with an I4 or small/low torque V6, and/or poorly geared sluggish auto, then yes, there can be quite the difference. However, match an auto to the power characteristics of the motor and add in good gearing and a good TC, and there is hardly any difference. In some cases, the autos are actually quicker.

You have obviously never driven a manual of have experience with short shifters and different shifting methods. My offer still stands about putting my money where my mouth is, we do it at a track with timed slips. Actually I'm confident enough to wager $500 US dollars on top of the trip expense. Of course you keep failing to read my previous posts so if you ever want to reread it, it is there for you unedited.
That's pretty bold. Have you ever been to the strip before? Everyone thinks they're John Force until they get handed that first slip. I've owned both manual and auto cars over the past 20 years and have raced them all at the strip plus handfuls of other cars. Manuals are significantly harder to get off the line effectively. Riding that fine line between bog and all out wheel spin is pretty hard and takes a careful touch. Most 6MT owners on here struggle to get low 2.2 60 foots. My 5AT cuts mid/low 2.1 60 foots consistently and with barely a chirp from the tires.

I don't think the auto in this car is the end all to automatics. It's just a great automatic for daily use. I've also used it at the strip and the auto-x. I rent tons of cars, SUVs, and trucks for work which means I get to sample lots of autos/automanuals. I can tell you without a doubt, my 03 G's auto is light years ahead of 98% of the autos I've driven. Most are truely slushy, laggy, and Buick-like. The most responsive autos I've driven? They're all from Nissan (Titan, Maxima, Altima, Roque, Murano). The new GM 6ATs are pretty good too and the 6AT in the new F150 is quadruple light years better than the old POS 4AT.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:43 AM
BTW; I will say it again.

THAT IS ILLEGAL BETTING

you dumb ****

Old 11-24-2009, 01:57 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Hey Dave, you know some of the GM and Ford 6ATs are actually the same transmission? They co-designed it. They do put different programming in them though.

And what you said about some cars being quicker with an AT vs a MT, a good example is the Solstice GXP. Autos are quicker. But I can tell you from experience the manual is a blast to drive

Old 11-24-2009, 02:46 AM
That's pretty bold. Have you ever been to the strip before? Everyone thinks they're John Force until they get handed that first slip.

^-No kidding, tangerine just sounds like he is full of **** and vinegar.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by blkonblkGsedan
holy wheelie batman!. I can't believe the yellow one had such a terrible launch and almost caught up at the end

He's made some changes to the car and improved the launch. Quickest he's gone is 9.8 @ 149MPH.

Car sounds like an airplane when the turbo spools

Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
That's pretty bold. Have you ever been to the strip before? Everyone thinks they're John Force until they get handed that first slip. I've owned both manual and auto cars over the past 20 years and have raced them all at the strip plus handfuls of other cars. Manuals are significantly harder to get off the line effectively. Riding that fine line between bog and all out wheel spin is pretty hard and takes a careful touch. Most 6MT owners on here struggle to get low 2.2 60 foots. My 5AT cuts mid/low 2.1 60 foots consistently and with barely a chirp from the tires.

I don't think the auto in this car is the end all to automatics. It's just a great automatic for daily use. I've also used it at the strip and the auto-x. I rent tons of cars, SUVs, and trucks for work which means I get to sample lots of autos/automanuals. I can tell you without a doubt, my 03 G's auto is light years ahead of 98% of the autos I've driven. Most are truely slushy, laggy, and Buick-like. The most responsive autos I've driven? They're all from Nissan (Titan, Maxima, Altima, Roque, Murano). The new GM 6ATs are pretty good too and the 6AT in the new F150 is quadruple light years better than the old POS 4AT.
Yeah I've been to the track, as someone mentioned launching a manual is an art form and just takes some getting use to. Difficult in the beginning but why make it out to be impossible. There are programs out that helps with launching a manual (ie. 2 steps). But thats another discussion.

Shifting sluggish is programmed by the car maker, for comfort. I'm sure you wouldn't expect a Camry to shift 1000x fast but more for comfort.

Originally Posted by 4DGS
BTW; I will say it again.

THAT IS ILLEGAL BETTING

you dumb ****

Track with slips dummy. Highly doubt that you have never once gone over the speed limit. Thats illegal speeding mang

Originally Posted by David.A.C.
That's pretty bold. Have you ever been to the strip before? Everyone thinks they're John Force until they get handed that first slip.

^-No kidding, tangerine just sounds like he is full of **** and vinegar.
Lemme go give Infiniti a call to see if they still make a Nismo kit for the G35

BTW do you still need an airbag system? I'm selling for $15k

Originally Posted by 4DGS
According to Tangerine, nobody knows ****.
Actually, according to Tangerine 4DGS knows the most

Old 11-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
last year i took my G to the strip for the first, and only, time. it was a hot summer evening so my best run was only 14.3 @ 98, with a worst of 14.4 @ 97 after 5 runs. my RT's were anywhere between .2 -.5s which is pretty terrible, i know. the one consistent "variable" was the 60' launch: all were in the 2.1's.

i found my G very easy to launch. the OEM clutch was easy to modulate. i launched from about 2-2.5k rpms with slight wheel slippage (VDC off). and i'm certainly no pro drag guy - i've never drag'd any car at a strip. i have raced on road-circuits, however, with past vehicles.

my point is that i feel the G is a very straight forward 6MT to launch, and the first 4 gears were perfectly suited to the 1/4 mile since i was near redline in 4th at the line...

maybe the trouble some people have is with aftermarket lightened clutch components?

Old 11-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Tangerine
Yeah I've been to the track, as someone mentioned launching a manual is an art form and just takes some getting use to. Difficult in the beginning but why make it out to be impossible. There are programs out that helps with launching a manual (ie. 2 steps). But thats another discussion.
Racing a manual isn't impossible at all. It's actually quite easy once you understand the power/gearing of the car, what the tires can take, and what the strip will give you in terms of traction. But to get the most out of a manual requires a crapload more abuse on the drivetrain. With the G, you'll need to launch somewhere in the 3800-4200rpm range with a good bit of clutch slip. This is hell on the already weak OEM clutch. Then you'll need to hammer the gears (not talking about powershifting), which isn't sweetest thing to row seeing that the relatively short shift pattern is really notchy and resistant in gears 2 and 3. Short shift levers look cool, but the problem is they give up mechanical leverage. This often results in notchy and balky shifter. Every "short" shifter I've owned or driven feels this way. The G/Z shifter would be light years better if Nissan were to add about 1"-1.5" more length and a weighted ball shift ****. Yeah, it might not look as cool, but in performance driving you need a shifter you can depend on, doesn't get you hung up on the gates, nor fights back with you.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:58 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Hey look, I found a picture of 4DGS and Tangerine!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Any know why F1 no longer uses a push pedal to disengate the clutch?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Any know why F1 no longer uses a push pedal to disengate the clutch?
F1 drivers don't have left legs anymore, Jeff! Duh!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: automatics...