G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

sts turbo for 04 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sts turbo for 04 sedan

is there a sts turbo specific for a 04 sedan or does the coupe fit in it or a 350z ? i guess it will need custom piping and would it be better than a regular turbo mounted in the engine bay?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I doubt there's much difference between the coupe and the sedan kits, if any. Contact STS to make sure.

As far as whether or not a remote turbo is better than a bay mounted turbo, it depends on what the person wants.

Personally, I think that a remote turbo is horribly inefficient compared to a bay mounted turbo.

- Turbos need heat and exhaust pressure. Think of the surface area of your exhaust system as a heat sink; it cools the exhaust before it reaches the turbo.

- Consider the weight or running piping to the turbo and then back again.

- Think of all of the near misses where you might've hit a rock or brick in the road. Now image that hitting one of the pipes under the car. Cracked exhaust means that the turbo gets less pressure. Cracked compressor outlet pipe means you have boost leaks.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is someone on here running an sts turbo on his sedan, i forgot his username though

Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by itgogitrev
I doubt there's much difference between the coupe and the sedan kits, if any. Contact STS to make sure.

As far as whether or not a remote turbo is better than a bay mounted turbo, it depends on what the person wants.

Personally, I think that a remote turbo is horribly inefficient compared to a bay mounted turbo.

- Turbos need heat and exhaust pressure. Think of the surface area of your exhaust system as a heat sink; it cools the exhaust before it reaches the turbo.

- Consider the weight or running piping to the turbo and then back again.

- Think of all of the near misses where you might've hit a rock or brick in the road. Now image that hitting one of the pipes under the car. Cracked exhaust means that the turbo gets less pressure. Cracked compressor outlet pipe means you have boost leaks.
Wouldn't cooler air be more efficient for the turbo? Turbo's get very hot as is and usually lead to overheating. I would expect a cooler turbo to be safer on the oil and the bearings. As far as weight it would probably balance out instead of having all the piping in the front like a front mounted turbo.

Last edited by Bestswat; 02-03-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Less heat is better for the turbo, but if your EGT is hot enough to ruin bearings and substantially drive up motor to the point of it breaking down, the tune on the engine is WAY OFF.

Hotter air, or exhaust gas in this case, is always going to have more energy than cold air. Take a plastic water bottle, stick it in the sun, close it up with the cap and stick it in the freezer. The bottle will collapse into itself because the thermal energy from the hot air is gone. Same applies to a turbo.

There's always the debate of "a hotter turbo is more efficient" and "a colder turbo will compress denser air." That's based upon the principle that air, regardless of temperature, gets hotter as it's compressed.

It's a lesser of two evils; introduce heat into a hot situation or introduce heat into a cold situation.

If you're really concerned about heat on the bearings, get a turbo with a water jacket so you can run engine coolant and oil through it. Couple that with an oil cooler and the problem solved.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
AthensG is his name. I think.

It's not the temp perse. It's the VELOCITY of the exhaust gasses. If the velocity could be maintained with a colder temp, that would be ideal. But as the temps cool, the area it exists in gets smaller and the exhaust gas velocities start to slow down.

It's why a STS mounted turbo is usually sized smaller than one closer to the motor. But you do get an built in intercooler all the way back to the engine. I don't have a big problem with the location or pipe lengths. I have an issue with having the filter being under the car.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:49 PM
I have an issue with having the filter being under the car.
That's true too.

In the tight confines of the G35 engine bay, it's difficult to install a turbo. But I think there could be a better solution than plumbing it 10 ft away from the engine. That's gotta have significant turbo-lag.

It's the VELOCITY of the exhaust gasses. If the velocity could be maintained with a colder temp, that would be ideal.
Velocity has a lot to do with it as well, but one could argue that having smaller pipes would increase velocity. It would increase velocity, but at the expense of flow.

It simply isn't possible to have a cold turbo, unless you want to have it belt driven, a.k.a. supercharger. Even then, the intake temperatures are much hotter than ambient; this is usually rectified with an intercooler.

A combination of Jeff's answer and my answer, it's finding a balance between velocity and pressure that makes a turbo manifold efficient.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
If I could maintain a high exhaust gas velocity without it being hot, I'd jump all over this.

One can offset the lag problem by sizing it down a bit. There have been many installs on the G and Z. People have had pretty decent reviews. Then there's the GTO/Vette guys that have had success also. I think once the system gets pressured up, the lag isn't nearly as bad as one would think.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not much pics, but info i guess..

digital1986's sts setup on a sedan..

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...k-side-fi.html

Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Most people with the STS wish they had gone with a different setup. Guy here in UT sold his after he got it to work. Took the shop way too long to get it right and the things are hard to tune because you have to drive them for a while before they get hot enough to work good.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:24 AM
What's the going rate on the STS kit?