Old 02-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
you guys are making this to complicated

if it wasn't safe, they wouldn't build the car that way

I mean jeez, even my wifes Mazda Cx-7 4cyl has a manumatic

Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
But with that said, i rarely drive in MM. I just don't like it. I've driven 10+ years in a manual trans car and my weekend toy car is a stick. So the difference in MM to a car with a clutch is huge to the point where I just don't like it at all. It doesn't have that direct connection feel IMHO. I know others will disagree, but that's my opinion. It's still fun to use sometimes, so i still use it, but I still can't wait for the weekend to get behind the wheel of my clutch car and bang gears hard and grab rubber in 2nd and 3rd.
exactly, and i would argue that most people who drive a manual regulary (not I know "how" to drive a manaul or "I've driven my friend's manual") would say the same. the "direct connection" mustang speaks of can't be replaced, even on sophisticated double clutch systems.

i can see if your car only came in auto (like the x) why you would then use the mm/tip. but if you intended on doing spirited driving with the "fullest driver experience" - and i emphasize the experience, i'm sorry but the tiptronic was the wrong platform. again my 2 cents so please refrain from defending why you bought the auto b/c it doesn't make a difference to me.

Last edited by dubbedown; 02-09-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:29 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^So to boil that down.... automatic drivers shouldn't engage in spirited driving?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by petro2342
I've floored it in D mode and it never once went to redline. I believe it shifted at 6200-6400(?), but I never redlined it either. My question to you guys is if you were to floor it in MM at 3rd gear would it not shift to 4th? Would it just bounce off the limiter for some time? I know in some cars after a short amount of time it would just switch regardless. I haven't tried it yet because I don't like to beat on my car like that. Maybe someone crazy enough on here tried it already lol.
Ifi slam it in D it will redline. I do not know if it is my mods are what but i was doing before my tune.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was toying around with it today....

street cruising at about 40 in 5th was giving me about 14-1500rpms whereas that would normally have me in 2K in D

on the highway i was about 2-300 RPM lower than normal, but i would have to feel out the optimal shift points for highway cruising to achieve the best RPM range for fuel economy, but I definitely think all around MM will increase gas mileage if you go that route, and will increase performance if you choose to go that route

Old 02-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nfsp1
^So to boil that down.... automatic drivers shouldn't engage in spirited driving?
you can do whatever you want, i could care less. but that's not what i said so perhaps you should reread what i wrote.

the point of my post was focusing on the "experience." i don't think anyone can argue that an auto/tip/mm is more engaging than a manual. it simply comes down to what your left foot is doing in one vs the other.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Manual Mode + Disabling VDC = Fun

Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbedown
exactly, and i would argue that most people who drive a manual regulary (not I know "how" to drive a manaul or "I've driven my friend's manual") would say the same. the "direct connection" mustang speaks of can't be replaced, even on sophisticated double clutch systems.

i can see if your car only came in auto (like the x) why you would then use the mm/tip. but if you intended on doing spirited driving with the "fullest driver experience" - and i emphasize the experience, i'm sorry but the tiptronic was the wrong platform. again my 2 cents so please refrain from defending why you bought the auto b/c it doesn't make a difference to me.
I wish our cars came in manual mode. When I was purchasing my car at the dealership they only had automatics so I figured if I were to get one it would be an AWD. Plus I live in New England and we get snow so why not try it out as I've never owned a awd. Only had RWD (240sx) and FWD (Maxima).

I don't think he means it like that. I think he's trying to say that if you want the most fun out of your car you need a manual to do so. Trust me, I MISS, MISS, MISS my previous car which was manual. I would ALWAYS just coast on it and just pop it into 3rd from 5th gear. You honestly do have MORE control and the car sounds meaner. I keep trying to get a deeper sound with my car and it's just not the same.

Originally Posted by spinna001
Ifi slam it in D it will redline. I do not know if it is my mods are what but i was doing before my tune.
I believe it has everything to do with your mods or you should try again and see if it does reach red line because I'm a few hundred rpms away.

Originally Posted by BrOnXxBoMbAz213
i was toying around with it today....

street cruising at about 40 in 5th was giving me about 14-1500rpms whereas that would normally have me in 2K in D

on the highway i was about 2-300 RPM lower than normal, but i would have to feel out the optimal shift points for highway cruising to achieve the best RPM range for fuel economy, but I definitely think all around MM will increase gas mileage if you go that route, and will increase performance if you choose to go that route
You can actually go into 5th from 31mph and over. Tried it couple days after I purchased my car.

Originally Posted by azt108
Hell yeah!!! I love semi flooring it around corners and just hear her scream. BUT, I only do it with snow, rain, OR a little bit of sand (by the curb).

Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 PM
80% of the time. my G has more of a feel to it.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by azt108
You bet it is! Def in ice and snow.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts

No, i don't think we are saying that at all.

My entire point was as someone who has a stick car and has driven manual for a while, that the feel is just not the same. You really don't have the direct connection to the car as you do with car with 3 pedals. Part of it comes with the shift and how you finesse the clutch pedal during the shifts and during launching. An auto in manual mode just doesn't have the same feel.

Now, i'm not saying autos suck or are boring to drive. I wanted AWD, so i had no choice, but even if i bought a RWD, i think i might have chosen the auto anyway. With that said, if manual mode was an option on the 5AT, i would definitely spring for it as it's fun and does make the car more enjoyable....

..but it's just not the same as popping that clutch up on a nice 1-2 shift and getting the car sideways.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
ive never even touched M.M. lol..

Old 02-09-2010, 08:47 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Originally Posted by petro2342
I don't think he means it like that. I think he's trying to say that if you want the most fun out of your car you need a manual to do so. Trust me, I MISS, MISS, MISS my previous car which was manual. I would ALWAYS just coast on it and just pop it into 3rd from 5th gear. You honestly do have MORE control and the car sounds meaner. I keep trying to get a deeper sound with my car and it's just not the same.
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
No, i don't think we are saying that at all.

My entire point was as someone who has a stick car and has driven manual for a while, that the feel is just not the same. You really don't have the direct connection to the car as you do with car with 3 pedals. Part of it comes with the shift and how you finesse the clutch pedal during the shifts and during launching. An auto in manual mode just doesn't have the same feel.

Now, i'm not saying autos suck or are boring to drive. I wanted AWD, so i had no choice, but even if i bought a RWD, i think i might have chosen the auto anyway. With that said, if manual mode was an option on the 5AT, i would definitely spring for it as it's fun and does make the car more enjoyable....

..but it's just not the same as popping that clutch up on a nice 1-2 shift and getting the car sideways.
Maybe I misunderstood. Mustang5L5, I knew from your post that wasn't what you were saying. Just a couple of doubledown's statements made it seem like he was saying there was no point in the mm mode, maybe I just misread.

I used to drive a 6MT Trans Am WS6, I know very well the joys of driving a MT. I also used to own a 4AT Trans Am as well, so I can also tell you that the Nissan 5AT and espcially it's MM mode is much much better than a lot of slush-boxes out there.

Originally Posted by IMA-G-RIDER
ive never even touched M.M. lol..

What is wrong with y.... I mean... How have you NEVER even touched MM???? Go get your keys!!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our manual mode is a joke. I've used it a handful of times, but its so unresponsive that its more annoying than anything else. I dont care what you put it there, grounding kit or adding paddles, its still a joke. If you wanted to shift you probably should have bought a manual. The Fans of our manual mode are most likely automatic drivers who drive nothing but automatics. The pessimists, like me, most likely came from a manual car. And I am sure most of the pessimists drive X's and didnt get a manual cause they needed the AWD.

Manual Mode is great for loss of traction issues though. (like snow).

And just so everyone knows I love my G35X, i just wish it was offered in stick.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Originally Posted by Redpit10
Our manual mode is a joke. I've used it a handful of times, but its so unresponsive that its more annoying than anything else. I dont care what you put it there, grounding kit or adding paddles, its still a joke. If you wanted to shift you probably should have bought a manual. The Fans of our manual mode are most likely automatic drivers who drive nothing but automatics. The pessimists, like me, most likely came from a manual car. And I am sure most of the pessimists drive X's and didnt get a manual cause they needed the AWD.

Manual Mode is great for loss of traction issues though. (like snow).

And just so everyone knows I love my G35X, i just wish it was offered in stick.
I'm going to have to repeat myself. I used to drive a 2000 Trans Am with a MANUAL. Yes I loved it, yes it's more fun to drive a 6MT than any automatic.... however, it sounds to me like you're just hating on the MM because you haven't used it enough to appreciate how much better it is than the average automatic (notice, avg auto, not MT)
The MM has some lag to it yes, but shouldn't you really be planning your gear changes ahead of time anyway? It took some getting used to for me, but now I know to just select the gear I want before hand.
Don't get me wrong, I really miss driving the TA, but I don't miss dealing with it in traffic every day on hills or both together. But then again, the 6MT in the Zs and Gs isn't very tough anyway, and dealing with a broken transmission is no 'joke'

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone dog their 5AT in manual mode?