G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Anyone dog their 5AT in manual mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone dog their 5AT in manual mode?

Does anyone really drive a lot in thier 5AT manual mode? Have they experienced any transmission problems as a result? Before this tiptronic stuff, manually changing through an automatics gears was discouraged. Is that a myth? I like manual mode but i only use it when necessary because I fear putting wear on the tranny.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Use mine all the time.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:22 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
^Me too, I use mine all the time, no issues here.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TwilightSedan
Does anyone really drive a lot in thier 5AT manual mode? Have they experienced any transmission problems as a result? Before this tiptronic stuff, manually changing through an automatics gears was discouraged. Is that a myth? I like manual mode but i only use it when necessary because I fear putting wear on the tranny.
im sorry but this whole post is false

Old 02-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ehh, i personally think manual/tip mode is silly and see no point in it. compared to a real manual, the shifts are so painfully slow that you're not gaining any real performance, any upside of downshifting if offset by the lag in the transmission... the car's more responsive when you just mash the pedal in full auto mode, both from a dig or downshifting while cruising. the only benefit is that sense of being in "control" but in my opinion without a clutch, there's not much driver involvement to say you're in control.

^^ that's just my opinion. but to answer your question, no you won't put any excessive wear on the tranny by driving in tip mode unless you're shifting in the wrong rev range, which in that case has nothing to do with hardware and it's just driver error.

Last edited by dubbedown; 02-06-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG35
im sorry but this whole post is false
Everything I post is a lie.

For me it's not a manual wannabe thing, it's just nice to be in the right gear at the right time.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbedown
ehh, i personally think manual/tip mode is silly and see no point in it. compared to a real manual, the shifts are so painfully slow that you're not gaining any real performance, any upside of downshifting if offset by the lag in the transmission... the car's more responsive when you just mash the pedal in full auto mode, both from a dig or downshifting while cruising. the only benefit is that sense of being in "control" but in my opinion without a clutch, there's not much driver involvement to say you're in control.
I disagree. The biggest advantage for me is being able to double or triple tap my paddle shifter for a downshift when coming up to a turn, exit ramp, entrance, whatever. I also use it while auto-xing. As for the speed at which the system reacts, it's decently quick, IMO. I know I couldn't execute a downshift with a manual any quicker and upshifts are about 80-90% as quick as I could execute myself if I were pounding the gears with no love for the clutch or syncros. The reason the response of the manual mode feels so slow is because it's simply a matter of flicking your wrist. It's WAY less involved therefore our mind expects an immediate response.

As for driving in manual mode all the time, it won't cause damage. It's no different than letting the auto do it's own thing.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I disagree. The biggest advantage for me is being able to double or triple tap my paddle shifter for a downshift when coming up to a turn, exit ramp, entrance, whatever. I also use it while auto-xing. As for the speed at which the system reacts, it's decently quick, IMO. I know I couldn't execute a downshift with a manual any quicker and upshifts are about 80-90% as quick as I could execute myself if I were pounding the gears with no love for the clutch or syncros. The reason the response of the manual mode feels so slow is because it's simply a matter of flicking your wrist. It's WAY less involved therefore our mind expects an immediate response.

As for driving in manual mode all the time, it won't cause damage. It's no different than letting the auto do it's own thing.
i respect your opinion. maybe the system is better on the paddle shifters but on the x sedan (where the shifts are done via shift ****) it is painfully slow. the only auto i'd purchase for the purpose of being able to shift "manually" would be the dsg found on audi/vw.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Specifically I asked if it was a myth and wanted to hear peoples experience with the g35 manual mode 5AT use. I'm a new g35 driver and want to gain knowledge so I don't damage my vehicle. Excuse me. I like to use manual mode when I'm running someone on the highway. That's when it's most useful, it allows you to launch in the right gear, after that, I will usually switch it back to auto before the gear shift.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i've been driving in manual mode since i got the car. 100k miles and 6 years later, still going strong.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:54 AM
I had a 95 e36 M3 before this car and it didn't have the tiptronic function. It was a 5AT too as well, very responsive. I never used the shifter to shift through the gears, it slowed things down. The car had a sports mode that would hold the car in high gears and rpms under intense driving. I may just decide that letting it shift itself is the way to go once I master giving it gas.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Thanks guy, atleast I know not to worry about using manual mode which is going to make things that much more fun for me. Appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
MM 100%

The tranny is not really too slow to shift, its just some lag from the **** to the actual shift. , you can compensate. And yes you will get better performance in MM then D since MM will let you get to redline.

Also I like pushing the pedal to the floor in lets say 3rd in MM, If I was in D and did that it would downshift to like 2, or 1 lol.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 AM
really? auto mode doesn't let you to redline? Is that true? I have to test this.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:33 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 458 Likes on 237 Posts
I rarely drive in auto mode.
Manual shifting can be enhanced with one of my custom grounding kits.
Check out the reviews and PM me if you are interested.

https://g35driver.com/forums/reviews...es-review.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone dog their 5AT in manual mode?