G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

HELP! Engine Failure!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Re: HELP! Engine Failure!

I received a call from Consumer Affairs yesterday. I let them know that I was not happy with the way my situation was handled. The rep. offered me $300 towards my 30k service. I almost laughed out loud. First off, I already had my 30k service done, shortly afterward I experienced engine failure. Second, $300 was kind of insulting for the trouble I went through. So the rep. said I could use the $300 to buy accessories for my G. Jeez.

I went on to explain the only thing that would make me happy would be to make TWO monthly payments for me since they had my car for over two months. The rep. didn't sound too confident about my prospects...we'll see what happens.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Sedan

Oh, I forgot to mention that when I picked up my G the Service Mgr. said that my car was running "slightly lean". How funny since he insisted my CAI caused the A/F ratio to be too rich. I have the exact same set-up as when the engine failed. How's that for some B.S.? Those guys are clowns.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:34 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts

ok Cru, over an hour later (just finished reading through the entire post)

Glad to hear you got this nightmare over with and are enjoying your G once again

Im now thoroughly scared and will be watching my oil levels for the next few months.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Finally, did they say anything about an extended warranty for the engine? I would assume they have issued you an extended warranty to cover this "new" engine?

<font color=orange>G35papa</font color=orange>
2003 Pearl White - Premium Willow - Clear Corners (moded) - Z-tube - 18" OEMs- Tinted all around

Old 11-14-2004, 12:58 AM
Sedan

That's a great question papa, and one that I failed to ask when I picked up my G. I will make sure I follow up with that.

Old 11-15-2004, 11:29 AM
dag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cru - did they cover your monthly payments?

Old 11-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts

Let us know what they say about the "warranty" question. It would be nice to hear the final chapter to this saga you went through. At least I hope its the last one for you!

<font color=orange>G35papa</font color=orange>
2003 Pearl White - Premium Willow - Clear Corners (moded) - Z-tube - 18" OEMs- Tinted all around

Old 11-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Sedan

dag,

I just got a message on my answering machine from Consumer Affairs. They are sending me a check for two payments in the amount of $1314. Hopefully this is the last chapter to this saga.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Skeleton_cru - Thanks for your link to your thread. It was informative as I am going through my own warranty issues.

As a side note I have some back ground with engine tuning / vehicle builds.

Just wanted everyone to keep this in mind that a CAI can cause a car to run excessively rich or excessively lean. This is because many of the CAI makers on the market do not perform the necessary design testing with their components. On a MAF based car (such as the VQ35DE) a flow change will cause improper MAF voltages to be sent into the computer. While on modern OBD-II cars, the primary WB02 sensor will detect these changes, and adjust AFR to compensate, this will not occur in open loop mode (full throttle acceleration and *I think* VDC off). Say if the CAI was a bit larger and more free flowing than the stock unit. Your AFR's would be leaner at WOT, your EGT's would be hotter leading to first the destruction of your cats then potentially to engine failure.

If Infiniti did not have idiot techs (which apparently they do) they would first
1. Flow bench the stock MAF against the CAI
2. Determine what the Closed Loop AFR compensation rate is against the stock fuel map
3. Check your AFRs under load

This is primarily why I wouldn't run with a CAI intake without some form on engine management.

As a side note, installing your factory intake and resetting your ECU will place the AFR compensation back to factory specs.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:08 PM
This is the 3rd Post of Infiniti turning cars down for major engine warranty work because of MODS... Case closed no modding my car b/c if I had to buy a new G35 Coupe motor I would be brooooookkeeeeeeee....

Old 02-21-2006, 07:10 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't want to spend too much time in this old thread, but if you read it, skeleton got his car taken care of and so did CPV356MT... so really it is the dealerships that try to screw over the consumer and then infiniti consumer affairs comes to the rescue. a hassle, but doesn't look too bad.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Actually I am not taken care of yet. I just started this process and got screwed over by Infiniti Oakland.

In my particular case however (since my g/f drives the car) it is not modified at all. I would be comfortable doing basic modifications on the car, but would be careful about which CAI intake system you select. I would prefer a short ram type setup that leaves the stock MAF housing in place.

I have yet to see if Infiniti will step up and take care of the engine. The cause of my engine failure is NOT from modifications (as there were none). I would bet on the fact that the cylinder walls were improperly honed from the factory as the cause of my problem. This is not the first case of engine failure on an early 03 car.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Sedan
Originally Posted by CPV356MT
Skeleton_cru - Thanks for your link to your thread. It was informative as I am going through my own warranty issues.
I hope it helps with your situation. You may be in for a long haul, so keep the presure on them. Good luck and keep us posted in your other thread.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Sedan
Originally Posted by 2FastG354U
This is the 3rd Post of Infiniti turning cars down for major engine warranty work because of MODS... Case closed no modding my car b/c if I had to buy a new G35 Coupe motor I would be brooooookkeeeeeeee....
Do yourself a favor and read the whole thread before you respond.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
Do yourself a favor and read the whole thread before you respond.
Eloy, so has the new engine been good?

Old 02-22-2006, 06:50 AM
Sedan
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Eloy, so has the new engine been good?
Absolutely flawless.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! Engine Failure!