G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

HELP! Engine Failure!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: HELP! Engine Failure!

Hey Skeleton, my best advice for you is to put the stock intake back on, and take it to another dealer. Just tell the other dealer that the 1st one was givng you the run around saying it was your aftermarket exhaust.

I know the Mazda dealer here localy is a jerk also, everytime someone brings in there car that has any kind of aftermarket product on it, they wont do any warrenty work period. Its a joke, i know several people that are fighting them with lawsuits now.

My opinion is this, long as the mods are limited to Exhaust, CAI and Headers, I can't see why the warrenty on the engine wouldnt stay good. Now I can understand if someone puts on supercharger/turbo, or any other mod that requires modifying the engine itself, now that would void the warrenty.

2003.5 G35 Sedan White/6MT - 2004 350z Roadster Black/6MT

Old 09-07-2004, 05:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are missing the point, the warranty requires that the owner maintain the oil level and bringing it in 3.5 quarts low is proof you didn't maintain the oil level!

The mods have nothing to do with not maintaining the oil level.

You are only required to measure the oil as often as it takes to maintain the oil level.

Please read the warranty and understand what YOUR obligations are to maintain it.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:51 AM

99.999999999999999% of the people in this country do not check their oil everytime they fill up their car.. If it needs to be checked any more often than 3,750mi then they ought to put an oil level gauge on the dashboard.

Q45 is right about consuming the oil without it being noticed. My mother had a car that blew smoke when you accelerated but not while cruising (at least not noticable) and she was putting in a quart every 100miles

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

Old 09-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Q45Tech, your supposed "contribution" to this forum has become increasingly annoying IMO. Or maybe it was always that way and I've just grown tired of it.

While we're all really impressed by your formula-speak and your knowledge of the letter of the law, you might consider offering some practical advice from time to time rather than verbose formulae and after-the-fact reprimands.

--Steve

Old 09-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Q45Tech, your supposed "contribution" to this forum has become increasingly annoying IMO. Or maybe it was always that way and I've just grown tired of it.

While we're all really impressed by your formula-speak and your knowledge of the letter of the law, you might consider offering some practical advice from time to time rather than verbose formulae and after-the-fact reprimands.

<hr></blockquote>
Q45 is absolutely right, it is the owners responsibilty to maintain oil (and everything) level, you have to check it! Why is it when someone states the obvious here, they are lambasted by someone? I damn sure wouldn't want to buy a used car that had been driven by someone who hardly ever checked the oil! The manufacturer can't hold your hand and be calling to remind you to check your oil, tire pressure etc!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 09-07-2004, 10:15 AM

But we are talking about 3.5 quarts of oil in 4 weeks. Not even an RX-8 should consume that amount of oil over that period of time. It's also the dealer's responsibility to not flub something as simple as an oil change.

As far as taking the car to another dealer, I think that will be kind of hard since the car won't run! That plus it's likely already been flagged in the warranty database. Remember, it likely wasn't the local dealer denying coverage, but Infiniti. So even if it was brought to another dealer with the stock intake in place, it would likely be denied.

'98.5 Contour SVT, 132K miles (Sold)
'04 G35 6MT - Black on Black

Old 09-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said, the onus is on the DEALERSHIP and/or INFINITI to PROVE that his mods caused the issue not the other way around, he doesn't have to prove anything. If they don't do that and they still won't cover it, it's lawyer time. All this talk of checking oil etc is fun and all but he needs to get his car fixed.
If they do prove that your mods are the problem then I guess you have to get it fixed from your own pocket. Comprehensive insurance should help you out too if needs be. You gotta pay to play, sometimes when you mod a car you're taking a chance on the manufacturers warranty, we all know that...

Jase aka Doogie
04 G35S

Old 09-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car drinks more oil than any other car I have owned. Today I noticed that mine was a quart low.

3.5 quarts in 925 miles is excessive. How do they know it was exactly 3.5 quarts low? I only check my oil in the morning after it has had all night to drip down into the pan. Skeleton had driven the car to the dealership which means that at least .5 quarts or more is still up in the engine and won't show on the dipstick.

But coupled with the fact that he might not have gotten the proper amount in the first place makes this a tricky situation. I would be firm but not to the point of being an A$$ in having infiniti replace the motor.

Jim
'03.5 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Nismo Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio
Z-Tube/JDM battery cover

Old 09-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Premier Member

Q45tech lay off the guy. Your getting on my nerves so I am posting now. NO ONE has to keep an eye on the oil level. NO ONE DOES. I would say about 50-70 % of the drivers out there do not check it. I personally do not either unless I am under the hood doing something already! As long as he shows proof that he had his oil changes done, by him, or a shop, he should not have a problem. And since he had it done 1 week prior, I would not even worry about CHECKING the oil again!

And when I have checked my oil when I go 6k oil change intervals, my car uses no oil at all.

2004 Infiniti G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DP
Mods: JDM Clears, 20% tint, Z-tube, Stilen CAI
Track: 14.32 at 98.79 mph 2.2032 60ft
Dyno 07-07-04 - 234.2 hp & 233.8 tq
http://www.g35world.com

Old 09-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Premier Member

Well, if the owner has to check the level all the time, then something is WRONG with the car and needs to be taken care of under wararnty if its burning oil at all! Get it?

2004 Infiniti G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DP
Mods: JDM Clears, 20% tint, Z-tube, Stilen CAI
Track: 14.32 at 98.79 mph 2.2032 60ft
Dyno 07-07-04 - 234.2 hp & 233.8 tq
http://www.g35world.com

Old 09-07-2004, 04:47 PM

All engines will consume some oil, but there is some evidence that they underfilled his engine during the last service. This is, however, rare in the extreme from certified dealer technicians.

On his service sheet, I'm sure it says 4.7 qts or so added by the tech. If not, or its not properly filled out, then that is the strongest evidence available in court that the dealer was initially at fault. The mods are a non-issue, compared to him continuing the operate the engine with low pressure indicator lit.

If people dont want to check their oil level because they feel its not their responsibility, thats great. But it is pretty clear that checking it would have saved some grief in this case. My vote is to spend 5 minutes to check it.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand Q45's statements... He's not belittling anyone for checking their oil level too infrequently, he's just sharing with all of us, the likely stand the dealership/Infiniti will take. After all, it does state in our owner's manual that the oil level should be checked regularly... it's just Q45's opinion (and perhaps Infiniti's) that regularly means every couple of weeks or so. I found the pic below in the Owner's Manual... and it's emphasized and highlighted, so it's a responsibility Infiniti will likely insist belongs to the consumer.

Does it make sense? Do most people check their oil level every 2 weeks? Should George W. be President? Since when does common sense rule the world?

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 09-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pic

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

338448-oil warranty.jpg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! Engine Failure!