G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

HELP! Engine Failure!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: HELP! Engine Failure!

Dude, why should you have to deal with his schedule? Seriously, call the BBB auto line. This will be over in 2 weeks if you do. Time to stop calling and having to deal with unprofessional people, call BBB and it will be resolved, I promise.

Just do it.

Jase aka Doogie
04 G35S

Old 09-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you meet with the service manager, if he is still sticking to his ridiculous story line, it is time to ask for an appointment with the regional service representative. He can over-ride the service manager's decision. Just because customer service is giving you a line....does not mean that the regional service rep won't help you. If the regional service rep denies your claim, it's time to call in outside help, either an attorney or filing a BBB complaint.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 09-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The better business bureau is a joke. It's an organization that is in the business of signing people up for their so called good rating. How many people actually consult the BB before going out and using a business

A better alternative would be a "7 on your side" http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/7oys_main.html It's a local news channel that helps consumers get what they need from unfair business's. The local negative publicity against peninisula infiniti would be enough to make them replace the motor and shine your shoes while their at it.

Jim
'03.5 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Nismo Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio
Z-Tube/JDM battery cover

Old 09-13-2004, 05:48 PM

Moral of this story.....SAVE all your stock shiznit and put it on, if you have a major malfunction, PRIOR to going to the dealer.

04' Sedan 6MT Silver/Graphite/Premium/Aero/HuperOptik/XM
Z-Tube / Stillen- Sways, Airbox & Grounding Kit
19x8.5/9.5 Hiros / S-03s 245/40 & 275/35zr19
Tokico D-Specs & 350z H-Techs

Old 09-14-2004, 03:40 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan

Ron IS the Regional Service Manager.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:47 AM
Sedan

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Moral of this story.....SAVE all your stock shiznit and put it on, if you have a major malfunction, PRIOR to going to the dealer.

<hr></blockquote>

That's ridiculous.
1. Peninsula Infiniti has already seen all my mods, I wouldn't be fooling anybody.

2. I was two blocks from Peninsula so I just drove straight there. Should I have towed my car home (20 miles), replaced the stock stuff and then towed it to the dealer (another 20 miles)? Paaaalease!

The moral of this story is don't do business with Peninsula Infiniti in Redwood City, CA.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:12 PM

There might be an issue with the VQ motor consuming oil at an increased rate. According to this thread Nissan is aware of it. I had not heard about this until today. Any information you can use as ammo when dealing with service/regional reps helps. Check it out:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Old 09-14-2004, 04:26 PM

Cru,

I think you've gotten to the core of the problem - Peninsula Infiniti! I have my own stories about them:

Actually "bought" my G35 from them, initially. I put a deposit down to special order my car. They treated my wife and I in a manner I've never experienced at any dealership. They essentially "confiscated" both our driver's licenses until we'd worked out a deal. I was so pissed I went to Pleasanton Infiniti the next day and ordered the car from them. I cancelled my deposit check and requested Peninsula send it back. Their sales manager called and gave me a bunch of BS about how I'd have to pay $1000 to cancel the order. I KNEW that was BS because, according to CA. state law, deposits are always refundable. Told him I'd cancelled the check anyway so he was SOL. At that point he called me an "a$$hole" and said he didn't want my business anyway.

Since they're close to work, I thought I'd give them another try on a parts order. Ordered a grab handle (to replace the driver's side card holder). I came with the part # and price I found on this site. The parts manager got all snooty asking how I'd managed to get access to "confidential" pricing - their initial qoute was about 20% higher. He said that he was feeling "generous" and would match the price. I should have told him then and there to F-off! That was the ONLY dealing I personally will ever have with Peninsula if I have a choice in the matter!

I would STRONGLY recommend that all local members boycott Peninsula Infiniti. BTW: Frontier Infiniti lost the sale to me when they wouldn't even let me test drive the car. I wanted to test a 6MT and they said they had a "rule" against allowing that unless I was a "serious" buyer. Funny, no problem at Pleasanton Infiniti. The sales guy there was great. Infiniti REALLY needs to get their act together and start treating customers properly. After your experience, I'm going to write a letter to Infiniti corporate describing MY feelings about Peninsula and Frontier Infiniti. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution. As Vinh said, if you need some backup, let me know. I work 5 min. away and would be more than happy to back you up!

2004.5 G35 Sedan | Garnet Fire + Willow | 6MT | Z-Tube, K&N panel | Stillen Cat-Back

Old 09-15-2004, 12:10 AM
Sedan

Hey Cook thanks for pointing towards that post, I tried PM'ing the guy, but no response. Sounds like the same situation.

Old 09-16-2004, 10:59 AM

He waited 2 weeks because he expected you to cave and pay the $XXXX for a new motor. As Q45tech pointed out, they make more money this way.
I think this is a good sign for you...it will be very difficult for them to prove your mods caused the fauilure when I think we all know it was oil starvation. Remember to do the research on Nissan's knowledge of the oil loss issue (assuming it is legit.) and press that fact. Hopefully you were able to contact the indiviual I told you about who had a similar issue with oil loss/engine failure. I think he indicated they were replacing shortblocks.

Old 09-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to the meeting anyway. See what he has to say.

'04 G35X Graphite/graphite, NAV, wood, premium

Old 09-16-2004, 12:54 PM

CookG35 is right, they wanted you to say "ok i guess my mods fried the engine and ill pay for a rebuild".... Thats why they kept putting you off. Now that your forced the issue they have to do what is required by law, prove your mods caused the engine failure.

Make sure you tell them to document everything, so that way after the tear down if they say it was your mods, you can take your engine and there documents to a neutral shop and have them review the info and the engine to get there opinion. Worse case scenerio is you end up at small claims court

2003.5 G35 Sedan White/6MT - 2004 350z Roadster Black/6MT

Old 09-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that's good to hear...

hopefully they are objective as they go about diagnosing your car.

you have tons of information to back up your claim, from the Nor Cal and So Cal dyno graphs, all showing that simple bolt-on mods like yours CANNOT cause abnormal A/F, as well as the manufacturers who made your parts.

good luck

vinh

Golden Gate G35 Club

Old 09-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exhaust back pressure measurement is easy! Commonly used to diagnose melted cats..[or to evaluate whether exhaust mods actually do anything]......you just unscrew primary O2 sensor and screw in an adapter with hose and tape the gauage to windshield and accelerate to readline a few times .......better to have a helper who watches and records the pressure while you drive.

Search google for " exhaust back pressure gauge kits" you will find dozens of manufacturers offering testers for $50-$150.

You might find this interesting that 15 psi back pressure reduces potential HP by 30: 1" HG = ~~1 HP
http://www.thrashercharged.com/tech_htm/exhaust.shtm

Even the best cat back exhaust have a hard time gaining 8-10 HP.

The problem with CAI and other intake air mods is the MAF is calibrated with stock system. Changes can make the MAF read WRONG which can change the AF ratio........you never know how each individual MAF will react with changes in air flow swirl/tumble or stagnation at the sensor or at each rpm.

My experience is that intake mods usually make the hot film MAF read lower than real flow.......leans out the engine.....but no lab testing done on G35 system.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:40 AM
dag

This whole thing is amazing.

Just think if you were like the remaining 90% of the G owners out there who are not on a forum and don't have a clue about how cars run..
It would have been a slam-dunk for the dealer and infiniti.

It's obvious their (the dealer) intentions were not good from the start.

Good luck and remember get what you can in writing. These guys have a funny way of changing their story.
On a recent issue I had with my Mazda I asked for it in writing and the guy said, "Are you questioning my integrity" and I said "No I’m just keeping you honest"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! Engine Failure!