G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

HELP! Engine Failure!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: HELP! Engine Failure!

While I don't think Infiniti or any car company should expect owners to check their oil levels within 2 weeks for an oil change, I usually do it.

In my experience many dealerships give the oil change jobs to a junior guy. Not just that, but there's human error too.
Just a crazy guess but I bet 1 in 500 oil changes (at least) gets significantly overfilled and 1 in 500 gets significantly underfilled. And there's always a chance the new oil filter gasket is leaking.

I'm probably a bit paranoid but I always check the levels within a day or two of the oil change.

Old 09-19-2004, 11:49 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Without comment to anyone else's post in this thread.

skeleton_cru, I've been following this thread and I feel for you. I had my manuel tranny go bad last year. I tried to hide my crawford pleneum under the oem engive cover and their was no avoiding the Injen CAI I had at the time. Yet, after road testing my car, they still warrantied the tranny.

After I was told that I would be getting a new tranny I thanked the service manager whom I had been dealing with for not holding my mods against me. He said the mods were a non issue. I got brave and asked if he knew about my pleneum, he said they noticed the fancy welds from the side of the engine cover and knew it wasn't oem. I then told him how if they blamed my mods for the tranny failure and disallowed the warranty claim that I would have insisted on taking the car to a local dyno to prove I made less power then the coupe. His reply, I think your making more power then the coupe, I shut up on that. Basically he said what mattered to him was that all the mods looked professionally installed and that the car looked as if I maintained to a high standard.

But, in following this whole thread, it's the what if factor that worries me, I realize it's silly. What if the mods did do something, I have a CAI, pleneum, high flow cats, and my custom exhaust. What if my mods are setting me up for a simular failure. Of course Nismo doesn't have a problem selling their own CAI and exhaust systems for these cars (in Japan for the sedan). But still that what if, however remote, however unlikely,.....bugs me.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 09-19-2004, 02:00 PM

Actually the Type R CAI nismo makes for the 350z does void the warrenty to anything attached to it. Only Type S products from Nismo are covered by warrenty.

Here's what I dont get. There is a lot of money to be made with aftermarket products. Why wont Nissan offer full Nismo products for all there vehicles. This way the dealerships make money installing the products and Nissan makes money selling them. Since they will be covered by warranty they will definalty sell more then 3rd party companies whos products void the warranty.

They did this with the 350z but us G35 Sedan owners got stiffed.

2003.5 G35 Sedan White/6MT
Nismo Type S Suspension / Nismo Sway Bars
19" OZ Rims / Stillen Front/Rear Camber Kit / Z Tube
Stillen Big-Airflow Intake / Stillen Catback Exhaust

Old 09-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For things that mount before the MAF and things just after the MAF...........you might need a new MAF or at least a specially recalibrated MAF to reflect any modified air flow effects. [NOT necessarily more volume but different shapes and vortices].

If you recalibrate the MAF to not read in error you might negate any gains caused by leaning the mixture which some aftermarkets SEEM to do? Where the power gains [if any] come from - induced MAF errors!

Since dealer retail markup is 100%.............there is less in it for factory to devote a Million dolllars worth of engineering talent to something that might sell 1% of buyers per year.

Selling 500 of something for $500 each doesn't compute when you sell 60,000 G worth [X $25k each].

In theory each modification to engine system would require a separate emission certification and EPA fuel Mileage test which cost about a MILLION dollars alone.

Why we don't see: diff gear options or high flow limited life cats.

The certification requirement for car manufacturers are just too expensive vs. aftermarket manufactures which can use the "off road exemption".

If the manufacturer can sell around 5,000 units per year of a mod they usually offer it as an option!

Old 09-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan

I think all this talk about checking the oil is besides the point. Neither the Service Dept. or Consumer Affairs has brought this up as an issue. If it's not an issue for them then I won't worry about it. I do NOT think driving 925 miles over a period of 30 days without checking the oil is negligent. Obviously the people at Infiniti don't think so either or else they would have brought it up. The issue is my CAI and my exhaust. So enough with the "you didn't check your oil you're damned to hell for all eternity" talk. I'm sick of it and it's not helping my situation.

Old 09-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Sedan

Can anyone here relay a scenario wherein my CAI or my exhaust caused 3.5 quarts of oil to disappear? I'm just wondering what Infiniti might throw at me.

Old 09-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

There is no reasonable, rational or viable argument to say that your CAI and/or exhaust caused 3.5 quarts of oil to disappear in such a short time.

Anyone who truly believes otherwise, either doesn't know how a motor works or is stretching logic beyond credibility. (but a hypothetical affirmation should sill be sought)

On a different matter. Why havn't you resolved this yet? You need to go to the dealership today and tell him you want the engine immediatly replaced and replaced on his dime by the end of next week or he will be talking to your atty. You've got to play hard ball with him. You have been hanging high and dry for far to long. I would be very pissed off by now.

2004 G35 6MT Blk/Blk Sedan Stillen Air, Stillen Exhaust

Old 09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shodog, I'm not talking about "get a sticker in the window BBB". I'm talking about the BBB Autoline program, a program whereby mediation and resolutions of problems between consumers and auto makers is ENFORCED. (Auto manufacturers WILL work with you via the BBB, there's no question).

The BBB as a whole might be a joke but in the case of the auto line, it's pretty much the only way to get an auto manufacturer to work with you without litigation. Litigation in which, unless you have 5 lawyers on your side, you'll likely lose on.

Jase aka Doogie
04 G35S

Old 09-20-2004, 05:55 PM

Hey Cru;

A while back I posted suggesting that you talk to Infiniti's Regional Service Advisor (RSA for short). You replied that Ron WAS the RSA....now we find out he's only the dealerships service manager. That makes a WORLD of difference. I was referring to an Infiniti employee, not a dealership employee. The dealership will probably need approval from the RSA to allow a warrantee job as large as an engine replacement. I really think it would be a good idea to ask Ron the talk with the RSA. I'd also be highy wary of any motor that got so far down on oil, regardless of what they say now about it. Sounds to me like they are trying to cover up not fully filling the oil at your last service. It is very easy to get a false reading on the G's useless dipstick....so especially if you go by that, it is very easy to put in the wrong amount. If it were me, I'd be demanding a new motor ASAP...a rebuild is not acceptable. Supposing they return the car to you sounding 100% normal? Will you be satisfied? I wouldn't be! If you now for a fact that you were 3 qts low on oil, permanant damage has been done! The only way I'd accept a rebuild as acceptable would be if they bore the block, put in oversized pistons; and I'd only accept that if I could pick (and they'd pay for!) all the internals they put in!

You NEED to speak face to face with the RSA asap.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 09-21-2004, 01:01 AM
Sedan

I will call Consumer Affairs in the morning and ask to speak with the RSA. Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:59 AM

Living in RWC, I'm sorry to hear about your engine and service disaster.

It seems this site might help:
http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm

In particular, try the "What You Can Do If Your Warranty Is Denied" link.

If you don't get anywhere very soon, I think either BBB Autoline or a lawyer will speed things up. Although I generally think lawyers are used too often in modern society, in your case I think it might be a good and reasonable option.

Old 09-21-2004, 06:19 PM

He should have called the BBB autoline a LOOOONG time ago. He'd be driving around in his car already if he had.

My advice is falling on deaf ears though.

Jase aka Doogie
04 G35S

Old 09-21-2004, 11:37 PM

Cru,
So you are getting a new engine, not just repairs, I hope, right?

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 09-22-2004, 02:00 AM
Sedan

I don't know yet. I will know more after they tear down my engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! Engine Failure!