G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New Owner - Need some advice (done a good bit of research)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Owner - Need some advice (done a good bit of research)

Been reading alot of posts in the forums and gotten alot of info from so I figured I'd finally post. I just bought an 06 g35 6spd loaded (minus navi). Got it with only 27k miles and am Very happy with my purchase. I am strapped on on my money right now but i definitely want to get the best mods for my money and the most tasteful ones. Now to the fun stuff.

Mines obviously a RevUp so i should get the oem (from a 350z) z-tube and a drop in filter. I've heard K&N doesn't filter very well or maybe thats the intake they were talking about. I know apexi makes a drop in filter so does it matter what filter I go with? Seems alot of people on here use K&N so not quite sure if theres any validity behind it or if its just the brand people happened to choose. Also mind you I need your suggestion on the best place to get these items (through the forum hookup id imagine). I want to go with the OEM z-tube instead of the stillen merely because they say the stillen isnt as aesthetically pleasing, seems like I should be able to find one for the same price but not sure the best place to look. Is the 06 350Z the same as the stillen or am I getting this wrong?

Also I know the 5/16th spacer is the way I want to go. I live in the DC area (as you know we had a blizzard (or 3) this year) but this is a freak occurrence but it does still snow here and does get cold in the winters. Is it worth getting the copper plenum spacer since it says i should if i live somewhere it snows or does the thermal plenum spacer do the exact same thing?

I also know that the MREV is worth doing with the spacer but that will be the last of the mods I do as its the most expensive.

I am not quite sure what else, i plan on getting winter tires (not sure which is the best to get since they will last me a few winters for sure) next year and new rims and better all season tires. Not sure the best combo, seems getting coupe wheels and painting them black might be my best bet but im not sure how solid the 19"s feels on the car or if they perform worse then the 18"s. Currently I am really happy with my car though and the interior doesn't need a thing.

Last thing (I promise). I called the dealership about the oil burning issue and they said the last owner of my car got it tested, im going to monitor it myself every 1k miles to make sure. What are the other things I should do to the car or make sure the dealership does? Something about headlights and clutch slave cylinder. I called two different dealerships and they all said there was no TSB for my cars year etc attached to my VIN. Guess i'm in the clear?

Ok last thing (i lied sorry) - My clutch seems to be notchy in second gear. Rest of the gears switch smoothly. I just had an oil change from the dealership i bought it from but probably am going to put a specific brand BG? oil in the tranny and engine. I have a friend who works at a tuner shop who uses Motul. I don't personally think this will fix the issue and my only hope is that its something simple as a syncro issue. Does it sound like its most likely a syncro and if so do you think the dealership would fix it? I know people have gotten their trannys replaced from the dealership even though im not quite sure why and I also know they wont replace a clutch but mine seems to be fine.

Phew..and once again Hi!

Last edited by Sceptor; 02-24-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm in DC/MD too. AAM's Plenum spacer and intake sys has been a really good basic mod. They're local (Gaithersburg) so you've got the advantage of talking to them in person. Have a AT and no rev-up so I can't speak to the rest.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Ya I don't really like altered atmosphere. TurboXS is ok when I was into wrx's and stuff but my friend works at DPS tuning. If i was going to get any parts it wouldn't be from altered atmosphere as I highly doubt its better quality then the motordyne and people seem to be getting more out of the motordyne part.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Can you sum it for me in point form with just the questions? If so I will answer them I'm just not in the mood to read lol

Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 PM
mods to get seem to be -

5/16th plenum spacer (do i need coper bc i live in the north east)
mrev - prob worth getting at the same time as the spacer

do I need a K&N drop in or is there a better brand? Apexi makes one..does it really matter?

The z-tube doesnt matter if i get the stillen or the 350z one it seems. only fitment issues with stillen so wheres best place to get the oem 360z one

clutch feels notchy especially going into second, think its a syncro or is there a specific oil thats highly recommended and helps

there ya go, best I can do

Old 02-24-2010, 11:50 PM
1. Looks good, yes get the copper iso since you do have a winter. It's better to install both at the same time then have to do it again later so, yes, order the mrev2 as well.

2. You don't NEED, but yea it's cool. I am pretty sure amsoil makes one as well. Theirs is incredibly good quality, I might be wrong though. Another company (if you can find them) called green makes great ones. Look in the marketplace for a popcharger, it sounds better, looks better and can be had for like $60 used. Just clean it, re-oil it and you're good to go.

3. They are basically the same piece, other companies make them in CF and what not, look in the marketplace. I didn't know the stillen had fitment issues, are you positive? Go on my350Z and make and account those guys sell stock intakes every day.

4. Not sure on the clutch, there is only one type of tranny fluid that is supposed to be used in these cars. It could be a synchro, maybe get the fluid flushed and see if it goes away before buying a new clutch.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 PM
it isnt the clutch, thats fine, I think it may be a syncro issue. What tranny fluid is the only one thats 'supposed' to be used?

I didnt also mean do i NEED the K&N i def want a drop in filter i just wasnt sure what was the best brand since everyone seems to use them for some reason.

I heard the popcharger doesnt do anything honestly but if it makes the engine sound better maybe thats enough for most. Why in the world is it called a popcharger anyhow lol

Last edited by Sceptor; 02-25-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:05 AM
It's some nissan brand, J-matic I think they call it?

I have a K&N drop in, in my car. I'm going to get an actual intake soon or a later though.

No intake is going to get you anymore power with this car, it;s purely for sound so you might as well do it right the first time. I do not know why it's called a popcharger lol Jim Wolf was out to lunch on that one.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Well if it doesn't do anything then ive heard the z-tube and the drop in filter are what really give it a better sound.

Also what do you use for brake pads?

Anything else I should look to do or look out for?

I have no idea where i'll find that lube so i'll prob go with motul since that what my friends shop has for the tranny and engine. Any issues you think with that? They are a tuning shop and work on WRX/STI/EVO etc all the time

Old 02-25-2010, 12:12 AM
The lube I am pretty sure comes from nissan, I could out to lunch I haven't swappep fluids in the Z yet and my G is auto.

The Z tube w/popcharger has a deeper sound than the Z tube w/ K&N

Hawk HPS tend to be a favorite on the forum, little to no dust and they last a decent while.

Take the car to another dealer and insist on the OC test. Other than that, enjoy the car you're off to a good start!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DGS
It's some nissan brand, J-matic I think they call it?
Not for the manual transmission.

Attached Thumbnails New Owner - Need some advice (done a good bit of research)-tranfluid.png  
Old 02-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Oh my bad, didn't realize it was for autos. I am yet to flush my tranny fluid in either car.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
This Just in!!!!

Old 02-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by nfsp1
This Just in!!!!

LMFAO Classic

Old 02-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sceptor
mods to get seem to be -

do I need a K&N drop in or is there a better brand? Apexi makes one..does it really matter?

The z-tube doesnt matter if i get the stillen or the 350z one it seems. only fitment issues with stillen so wheres best place to get the oem 360z one

clutch feels notchy especially going into second, think its a syncro or is there a specific oil thats highly recommended and helps
the z-tube/KN filter is a great combo, tons of folks have that set up.

i had my tranny replaced under warranty due to internal synchro issues on 2nd gear (notchy shifts 1-2). this is not uncommon with the 6MT's. get it done under warranty but do not change the tranny fluid first. leave the OEM stuff in it and have the dealer do the tranny replacement.

also, you get a new clutch included with the new tranny so that's an added bonus.

be sure to monitor the oil level for consumption issues, but not all rev-ups have that problem. check your spark plug tubes for pooling oil. valve cover leaks can occur with these engines, my VC's were replaced under warranty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Owner - Need some advice (done a good bit of research)