G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Do our cars have blackboxes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do our cars have blackboxes?

See story here
<a href="http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0409/06/-264474.htm">http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...06/-264474.htm</a>

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

Old 09-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Do our cars have blackboxes?

Absolutely ALL the US Air bag systems stores data from 3-5 seconds before deployment.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:38 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Absolutely ALL the US Air bag systems stores data from 3-5 seconds before deployment.

<hr></blockquote>

Q45Tech, you need to check your facts more and speculate less. Numerous sources, including all three major car mags (C&D, R&T, and MT), all three news networks, etc. etc. all cite that GM voluntarily created a "black box" for its airbags (and Saturns) since the 1970s. Only GM/Saturn... no one else. In the case being discussed here, the vehicle was a... Chevy Corvette.

For example, check this reference:
http://www.seniormag.com/headlines/blackboxcars.htm

Rick

Old 09-10-2004, 11:56 AM

You better check the interior of the [your] Nissan/Toyota air bag computer there are 3 big memory chips to store data. They are there for diagnosis and legal protection against charges of air bag not going off and misfires and seat belts.

Read your SRS section in FSM especially the part where it speaks of Diagnostic History and how even though erased the data can be broght back.

Also consider the seat belt function [buckled switches].

The ABS and the ABag system communicate thru the CAN but it takes data from both computers plus the ECU to totally recreate the sequence of events.........no one big spy box just 3 boxes with memory.

Consider how the Consult is able to bring up the 3.5 previous seconds of data prior to your even pushing the start button for data logging. All part of the OBD2 standard.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:07 PM

http://www.accidentreconstruction.co...01/100901a.asp

"some auto manufacturers (OEM) provide software codes for their vehicles (GM, Ford, Isuzu), but other OEMs refuse to provides their codes?"
Reserving them for their own litigation!
http://www.expertlaw.com/library/att...k_justice.html

Old 09-10-2004, 12:27 PM

"Injury Sciences LLC announced today [Sept 15, 2003] at the International Association of Special Investigation Units (IASIU) annual convention that it has launched an end-to-end automobile black box solution for insurers.

"Insurers recognize significant benefits when they are able to quickly, accurately and cost effectively assess liability issues and injury causation issues present in automobile claims," stated Scott Palmer, CEO and President of Injury Sciences. "Automobile black box data is now increasingly available as an impartial witness which helps insurers accomplish these goals and recognize the related benefits."

The automobile event data recorder, or black box, is present on many makes and models of vehicles on the road today and almost all new vehicles contain them . When an automobile in a collision is equipped with one of these devices, an insurer can retrieve, or harvest, many relevant pieces of information to assist in evaluating liability, impact severity and injury potential. "

"Ford started installing the device colloquially known as "the black box" in vehicles in 2000, six years after General Motors adopted what was ostensibly a monitor of the airbag system. With such a specific function, it's small wonder manufacturers didn't rush to feature the system and the average mechanic doesn't understand it."

"The EDR, a four-inch-square box, similar to recorders on airplanes and trains, can tell investigators the car's speed, engine speed, how far the accelerator was depressed, whether brakes were applied, whether the driver wore a seatbelt, and what warning lights were on, from about five seconds before impact.

When an airbag deploys, the data are recorded on a computer chip. When a near-deployment occurs, the information is stored for 250 engine starts.

A second impact can be recorded in a non-deployment file, depending on circumstances and the time between collisions."

http://www.crashport.com/Web%20Docum...lackBoxEMS.pdf
A 54 page study of black boxes and why manufacturers are keeping quiet about them!

Google found 12000+ stories filter down to 240 with Nissan in them.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:51 PM

I tend to research my facts for 30 minutes before I post [having 5 years of multiple auto site moderating under my belt] pain in the _____ when you don't know the real FACTS.

Always better to do the research!

Old 09-14-2004, 10:30 AM

Another legal case may set a precedent on the use of the information stored in the 'black box' - this Corvette driver is being charged with murder ....http://www.newsday.com/news/local/lo...span-headlines

Old 09-14-2004, 12:32 PM

With ABS it is almost impossible to use the old skid mark measurement method to determine speed, so something like the data recorders are necessary to afix blame.

Soon you we be paying insurance by the mile driven and where you drive based on GPS data. Many countries fund no fault via extra taxes on gasoline seems like a decent way to do it to me

No more going to the crack neighborhoods. No more stopping at a bar at 2AM.
Exceed the speed limit and a surcharge will be added each week...........all these things are now common on semis.

Go to drag strip and exceed speed limit and your vehicle warranty will be declined via insuurance to manufacturer data link.............1/8 mile tracks will become more common.

Have you seen the new mandates for child protection from electric windows.......so their syblings can't choke them with window...........adds $250 per car. Soon your basic car will cost $50,000.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Q45!

I've seen you sure are pretty good at getting some people upset and bringing flames down on youself. But what ever you do, don't change a thing about how you post. I want to hear as many divergent perspectives as possible!

BTW how do I disable the data recording system on my car? That s**t makes me paranoid! ;-)

2004 G35 6MT Blk/Blk Sedan Stillen Air, Stillen Exhaust

Old 09-15-2004, 09:54 PM

To disable the system have your air bags removed [or at least remove the air bag computer], disable and remove TCS and ABS computers, and convert your engine to pre 1996 version without OBD2 ecu..........that will remove all the memory modules.

Of course the later is emission tampering and the former will need permission from your insurance carrier since the insurance RATE is predicated on having working air bags.

Guess if they found out you could be charged with insurance fraud if you had an accident without ABS, Airbags.

I have not dissected the G35 system so all my comments are data from Q45 and I35 systems and repairs after air bags when off.

Back as far as 1994 Q45 we tore into some air bag computers after they were replaced following deployment trying to fiqure out how and what each IC did........the memory chips [FIFO write protected.......internal fuse blows approx 2 secs after recording air bag deployment so they can't be erased.

It won't be easy but any electronic genius can probably do it successfully.

Obviously I don't recommend you do anything that would be considered illegal.