G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

When I sell the car to someone never meet..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I sell the car to someone never meet..

I posted this
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...d-get-rid.html

I am selling my wrecked car and a guy who lives in FL gave me the maximum offer. He saw the pitures that show the current condition and said he want to buy it for $4500. But I live in MD and FL is 800 miles away from MD. First I thought this is a fraud because he only saw the pics and he lives too far. But he said he can pay any route I want. I said I want cash and he said he can pay with cash.

What do you guys think about this? Should I trust him?
He said he can pay with cash and I just need to send the title and remove the license plate. What other things need for sales and what I need to be careful?

Old 02-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
dont send title or anything till you get the money in your hands ..

and let him arrange the transport from md to fla .. not your responsiblity ...

dont get involved in it ..cuz if something goes wrong .he will blame you ..and want to cancel transaction ..

he can arrange it over the phone with any transport company ..

all he has to tell the transport company is the address in MD to go pick it up and the address in FLA to drop it off ..

as well as pay the transport company himself ..

hope it goes well .. hate to see something go wrong or you get stiffed ..

post what happens ..

hope this helps ..

Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for quick reply

So all I need to do I get the money, send title, remove the plate, and let him to move the car?

Originally Posted by IMA-G-RIDER

dont get involved in it ..cuz if something goes wrong .he will blame you ..and want to cancel transaction ..

all he has to tell the transport company is the address in MD to go pick it up and the address in FLA to drop it off ..

post what happens ..

hope this helps ..

Old 02-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Say cash only you arrange delivery. Once you get cash in hand, sign over a bill of sale or the title if you have it and give him the keys.

If you don't have title, pay off your note and then send title? Does he want the title? Or is he gonna stuff the drivetrain in something else?

But check state laws too

Old 02-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by IMA-G-RIDER

post what happens ..

hope this helps ..

+1. do not sign off and send title until u have CASH in hand.. not a check.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:12 PM
thanks for quick replies.
We decide to use ebay.
He said he will send the money to my account.
I will withdraw all money and then send him the title and bill of sales.

I never bought or sold anything more than $100 value before so I feel so nervous now..

Old 02-26-2010, 02:35 PM
This sounds like a scam in the making. I get bogus emails from Craigslist all the time. Talking about I'm ok with the price etc.... SCAM!

Old 02-26-2010, 02:49 PM
I am still not sure whether it is a scam.
But if he really send cash, then I guess there will be no problem.
I called DMV and asked about the situation, they said if I make a copy of bill of sales then there will be no problem.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
I'm assuming you mean paypal and not eBay.

But yeah, do not send any bill of sale, title or the vehicle until you have CASH. Not a check, not a cashier's check, not a paypal deposit, not a moneygram.

Once you have the cash, sign the title over, keeping the top portion (Notice of transfer) and file it immediately with the DMV/city hall/whever your state says it goes so that if it gets left on the side of the road or something, it's his responsibility.

The usual scam for something like this goes:
Scammer: "$4500? sure, I've got a company already lined up to pick up the car. They charge me $1000. I'll give you a check for $5500, deposit it and give the deliver dude $1000 and sign the title over to me and we're good"
You: "Sweet, this is way easy!"
Bank: "Okay, we'll hold that while it clears. But since you have $1000 in your account, you can withdraw $1000 to pay delivery man."
Deliver man "Thanks for the money and title!"
Bank: "The check bounced. You owe us even more money."
You: <expletive deleted>

Here's the non-scam version:
Non-Scammer: "Here is $4500 paypal'd/western union/check, and a notarized power of attorney allowing you to send VIN:XXXX239874 in my name through CarShipCo, whom I have made separate payment arrangements which do not involve you and money at all. There is also a notarized statement which acknowledges that I am aware that I am purchasing the vehicle based on the photos posted on craigslist, otherwise unseen, the vehicle is in condition and is being sold as-is, and that the seller is not responsible for any shipping charges I incur for the vehicle."
You: "Okay, I just have to wait for that to clear. Here is a signed note which acknowledges receipt of a check for $4500 pay for VIN:XXXX239874. Upon clearing of check, the title will be signed over to you."
Bank: "The check has cleared."
You: "I have overnighted the title to you. And filed notice of transfer with my state as required. Please register the car in your name and fax me a copy of the new title/registration and any other documents CarShipCo requires."
Shipper: "I am here for the car VIN:XXXX239874"
You: "Here is the specific, notarized power of attorney authorizing me to release this vehicle on behalf of BuyerMan to his home address, as well a copy of the title/registration and other documents you require."
Shipper: "I have the car now, bye!"
Buyer: "Thanks for delivering my car!"

The big thing is to make sure that you have in notarized writing that he is aware the car is in bad shape, has seen pictures and is buying it as-is, that he has not sent you any money to cover shipping, and that shipping is HIS responsibility. If he is able to say that you hid things about it or anything like that, and is able to get paypal to give him his money back and you end up with your broken car 800 miles away, it might as well be gone for good. In every paypal thing, make sure that he's writing in the comments that it is for a car that's basically totalled, he hasn't seen it, and that the payment sent to you does not include shipping in any way.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 02-26-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Oh, one more thing.

If he actually sends you cash cash, make sure it ain't counterfeit.

Anything else, let your bank know that you need to know when the check has cleared so that you can sign the title over.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Get one of those cash pens to make sure its not Monopoly money

Old 02-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks

He said he will send money to my account. so I told him my account number and rounting number. Should I stop him sending money and let him use western union?

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
I'm assuming you mean paypal and not eBay.

But yeah, do not send any bill of sale, title or the vehicle until you have CASH. Not a check, not a cashier's check, not a paypal deposit, not a moneygram.

Once you have the cash, sign the title over, keeping the top portion (Notice of transfer) and file it immediately with the DMV/city hall/whever your state says it goes so that if it gets left on the side of the road or something, it's his responsibility.

The usual scam for something like this goes:
Scammer: "$4500? sure, I've got a company already lined up to pick up the car. They charge me $1000. I'll give you a check for $5500, deposit it and give the deliver dude $1000 and sign the title over to me and we're good"
You: "Sweet, this is way easy!"
Bank: "Okay, we'll hold that while it clears. But since you have $1000 in your account, you can withdraw $1000 to pay delivery man."
Deliver man "Thanks for the money and title!"
Bank: "The check bounced. You owe us even more money."
You: <expletive deleted>

Here's the non-scam version:
Non-Scammer: "Here is $4500 paypal'd/western union/check, and a notarized power of attorney allowing you to send VIN:XXXX239874 in my name through CarShipCo, whom I have made separate payment arrangements which do not involve you and money at all. There is also a notarized statement which acknowledges that I am aware that I am purchasing the vehicle based on the photos posted on craigslist, otherwise unseen, the vehicle is in condition and is being sold as-is, and that the seller is not responsible for any shipping charges I incur for the vehicle."
You: "Okay, I just have to wait for that to clear. Here is a signed note which acknowledges receipt of a check for $4500 pay for VIN:XXXX239874. Upon clearing of check, the title will be signed over to you."
Bank: "The check has cleared."
You: "I have overnighted the title to you. And filed notice of transfer with my state as required. Please register the car in your name and fax me a copy of the new title/registration and any other documents CarShipCo requires."
Shipper: "I am here for the car VIN:XXXX239874"
You: "Here is the specific, notarized power of attorney authorizing me to release this vehicle on behalf of BuyerMan to his home address, as well a copy of the title/registration and other documents you require."
Shipper: "I have the car now, bye!"
Buyer: "Thanks for delivering my car!"

Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
im not sure but i dont think he needs the routing number ..

from your acct ..

to deposit the money in your acct ..

only the acct number ..

Old 02-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This doesn't make any sense at all...

Old 02-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't give him the routing# or account#. Your best route would be to open up a paypal account and have him deposit money into that account....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: When I sell the car to someone never meet..