G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

1st post on here - bolt-ons, getting most out of them

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was thinking about next summer arranging a group tune at the one local to me. Dunno how much interest ill drum up but I wont have the mods in my car till then anyhow.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by drozzy
Maybe I'll do that if the MPs assure me they won't look at the undercarriage again after doing it once, whenever that happens. For now, I don't want Sgt Opportunist to rub an illegal mod ticket to my face...
I have 2 brother that are cops in Ontario [one of which was an MP in Saskatoon previously (don't hold it against me)] and neiher has or would ever waste their time with an on the spot e-test. If you're being a total jack ***, you might get a summons to report a passed e-test and have 14 days to comply. Mil bases can obviously have their own guidelines of course, but do you think its really that bad???

Alternatively, get an Accessport, have a super lean map made up and fly through emissions tests ith ease! As you're getting pulled over - you switch maps- by the time the MP sucks his teeth at you and attemps to belittle you in his/her own insecurities, your maps swapped and you are legal.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Don't know about OPPs, but MPs won't ask for an e-test. In CFB Petawawa, world of *sigh* military ricers, they put your car on a lift. It's normally set for 3 business days after "suspecting illegal mod" - believe it or not, they use the lift in the Auto-Fix Club and have the Base Provost Marshall attend the inspection. OPPs are blaming the speeding & racing scene on military people, and MPs are now doing everything in their power to mitigate that. So they'd see nice HFCs instead of boring cats... my @ss would get reported.

But fvck, the one lean map to use in the Accessport is brilliant. You make a very good point. Can't you do that with Osiris, using the cruise control buttons to switch to whatever ECO map you got from them?

Buddy with a ricer Sentra Spec V had 72 hrs to swap his sh1tsounding exhaust with the stock one only because of the noise level... I tell you, when I come to work in the morning passing those hardcore Army folks doing the ruckmarching, a loud exhaust gets talked about. Not necessarily in a good fashion, and some RCR/RCHA/CER/Svc Bn folks have MP buddies...

Old 04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Yikes! I don't see why Uprev couldn't do the same. I made a lean map on my Subaru because I was planning on moving back to Ontario and was worried about an E-test. Never actually e-tested it because Alberta litterally has no emissions testing equipment anywhere where i could test it.

Tack weld your cat heat shields to the hfc/TPs. That'l throw them off.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Sceptor
What about his mods requires a tune exactly? He"d be better off spending the money on an mrev2 , 'n00b' eh?
Unless he has a REVUP motor, the MREV2 isn't going to be making much power. HP per dollar, after the spacer, the tune will be the next best thing on his list.

Originally Posted by Sceptor
It's my understanding the gains from tuning don't seem to be alot, 5hp ? for 500 bucks. Granted it all depends on your mods but from everyone I've spoken to you dont need to do the tune unless you find your car is having a/f issues and thats with the mrev2 and spacer etc. Regardless the one thing I do know is you shouldn't spend your money on it till you have the bolt-on's you are going to do done so if you're going to get the mrev2 get that before you spend the money on the tune.

Let me know how it turns out, i have a place in Virginia who can do an Osiris tune and maybe when i get all my bolt on's done was considering getting a tune.
A stock NA car can make gains of up to, sometimes more than 10hp to the wheels with just a tune. Add some basic mods, and the tune can add about 15hp or more on top of the mods. But of course it really depends on the car. Boosted cars... different story. A stock EVO can make something like 20-30 to the wheels on the dyno with just a good tune.

In a lot, if not most cases, no mods with a tune is better than I/H/E without a tune. Even if you aren't making that much more power to the wheels, the better fuel curve will enhance your car's performance more than breather mods that might add a few more horses to the wheels.

Hi everyone,

Just bought an '06 X, planning on remaining NA with some breathing mods/bolt-ons...

- Stillen Hi-Flow intake + Z-tube
- MD 5/16" ISO thermal plenum spacer
- DC Sports headers
- Stillen Gen 2 catback
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3838329

Cobb's AP vs UpRev's Osiris - I've researched those quite a bit... I tend to lean on the AP because I simply cannot afford to send my ECU down to Texas for (undetermined period of time). The AP's stage 2+ map seems to fit my bolt-ons well, and I could probably go down to Toronto for a Pro Tune if need be.

What do you guys think, does Osiris present any major advantage over the AccessPort, given the circumstances?

Please don't bash my car audio background (been on caraudioforum.com since '05), I know some of you hate it... I'm here to learn about performance mods, that's all.

Thanks for any feedback, much appreciated.

Jack
IMO, skip the Steallin intake and just get the Z-Tube with a K&N filter. The Steallin intake almost makes as much power for that much more money. Because of the painful install, the headers are going to be the biggest waste of money on your list, but it does help, kinda... barely. If I were you, I'd skip the intake and headers and aim for cams, plenum spacer, tune, a new final drive gear, and revalve the tranny. The intake and headers are going to add about 2-3 horses after the tune, which is really pitiful for what they cost. Getting the headers with some high flow cats will net a much better gain, and I'm sure the intake will be a great addition after some cams. Then invest a bit into the suspension because your stock sedan could really use it.

As for the Osiris vs Cobb issue, they both work exactly the same in terms of how they reflash the ECU. I just don't know if the Osiris offers more functions than the Cobb or not. But you don't need to send your ECU in to get the Osiris. Their standard reflash is $500 and they give you 3 free eFlashes (retunes) that they send you and you can install yourself (but of course nothing beats a good dyno tune). Just playing around with the electric throttle makes your car feel more powerful too...

And if you're worried about passing emissions, tests, etc... since you can have 5 maps with the Osiris that you can toggle through with your cruise control buttons on the steering wheel, you can keep a stock, untouched map in the system as well as a lean map, a regular daily driving map, a higher octane map, a valet map (rev limiter and speed limiter on a low setting so they can't do anything but park your car), or whatever else you can come up with.

Last edited by dofu; 04-05-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Hahaha I might just try it when the time comes!!! "Those stock cats look huge, you'd probably pass the e-test no sweat!" - LOL

Old 04-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
a new final drive gear, and revalve the tranny.
Nice, where can I get that done? Is that the 'AT valve body upgrade' from Stillen?

Then invest a bit into the suspension because it could really use it.
Oh yeah, Summer 2011 with new rims & tires... will be burning the stock RS-As throughout this Summer.

As for the Osiris vs Cobb, they both work exactly the same in terms of how they reflash the ECU. I just don't know if the Osiris offers more functions than the Cobb or not. But you don't need to send your ECU in to get the Osiris. Their standard reflash is $500 and they give you 3 free eFlashes (retunes) that they send you and you can install yourself.
I thought the basic reflash was $300?
http://secure.uprev.com/osiris-flash-service.html

Did I get this wrong?

"The way I understand it, if you go to an actual Osiris authorized tuner shop, you first buy the $300 (as advertised on website - may be slightly higher @ shop) reflash service from the shop directly. Then, you negotiate the price of a full tune/dyno based on your specific needs. Piece the two together and you're up to anywhere between $500-800.

The Osiris 'Tuner' service would be for the real, DIY tuner heads out there. Runs on laptop, you keep logs of everything and deal with UpRev directly if you need assistance in the tuning process. $750."

And if you're worried about passing emissions, tests, etc... since you can have 5 maps with the Osiris that you can toggle through with your cruise control buttons on the steering wheel, you can keep a stock, untouched map in the system.
That's sweet. I'm assuming the stock/untouched map would the be leanest possible one?!?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:57 AM
a new final drive gear, and revalve the tranny.
Driving a manual again, i forget about valve body upgrades. I gave my valve body (volvo 850 T5) to a local auto trans shop and a guy there who liked to tinker did some shimming, springing etc. and it completely changed the car. I find Nissan Trannys to be pretty good, but quick shifts and less slip off the line will really make a car feel faster. Final drives are a great choice too and something i'd like to try on my car, but in my limited research so far, anything higher that the 3.7 will cause issues with the VST??? Please correct me if i'm worng. I do hope i'm wrong.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
^ I can't answer that, I drive a 6MT too. But if I recall correctly, there are more than a few members of Driver with the 3.9 or 4.3 mated to an auto.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Nice, where can I get that done? Is that the 'AT valve body upgrade' from Stillen?

I thought the basic reflash was $300?
http://secure.uprev.com/osiris-flash-service.html

Did I get this wrong?

"The way I understand it, if you go to an actual Osiris authorized tuner shop, you first buy the $300 (as advertised on website - may be slightly higher @ shop) reflash service from the shop directly. Then, you negotiate the price of a full tune/dyno based on your specific needs. Piece the two together and you're up to anywhere between $500-800.

The Osiris 'Tuner' service would be for the real, DIY tuner heads out there. Runs on laptop, you keep logs of everything and deal with UpRev directly if you need assistance in the tuning process. $750."
First off, I'd suggest to most people to stay away from most Steallin products. There are other valve body upgrades out there for less, and probably work much better too... I think I recall some bad reviews about Steallin's valve body upgrades on here somewhere. Someone from NorCal just had a valve body upgrade kit installed recently and did a great write-up on it, I just don't remember where that thread went.

As for the Osiris, you want the Standard. The Basic would really only be good if you were a dealer with a dyno and the cable to reflash ECUs with. And plus, you need to send your ECU in for that, as where the Standard is sent to you with a cable to hook up your laptop to the ECU so you can set the programming into the ECU yourself. Next up is the tuner which lets you tune your own car with a laptop, which is a bit excessive, but can help since anybody can tune the car and you won't have to look for authorized tuners.

The biggest difference is really the cable, and most likely the software on your laptop - the Basic probably won't come with anything, the Standard comes with a cable to upload but not tune, and the Tuner comes with a cable to tune. And yes, the cables are different.

And yea, I'm willing to bet your car will be running a bit lean after the intake, spacer, and exhaust as my car was running extremely lean after the MREV and spacer too. But if it's not lean enough, you can have a separate map for that.

Last edited by dofu; 04-05-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 PM
...ok, so it really is a price match between the $495 AP and the $500 Osiris Standard. Thanks for clearing this up hehe.

I would still need to go with the Standard package should I be relying on a tuner in Toronto to do the job?!?

Old 04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the graph, holy hell that's a nice improvement over your baseline (assuming stock?)... aren't TPs & HFCs illegal though? I just have the feeling that with the sound (headers + Gen 2), cops are gonna want to see exactly what I've done to the exhaust system.

Jacques,

We have Pro Tuners in Toronto. If you check our Dealer page you will find listings. These shops can do the install and the tune in one stop. You're always best served with a dyno tune, we offer the Osiris Standard as an option for US cars that aren't close to a Pro Tuner. I know the fuel you get in different regions of CA can be pretty close to the fuel we get here, but I also know some of it can be pretty far off spec when you get to the outer regions of CA which is why we try and get customers to work directly with Pro Tuners who are knowledgeable in these areas.

Rich-

Jacques,

A custom tune will help dial the car in for your specific modifications. If you are not running the exact modifications we recommend for one of our maps a custom tune will allow you to correct for any issues caused by your modifications and recalibrate your engine control unit to take advantage of your modifications. If you click on the map notes for the Stage 1 or Stage 2 maps it will give you specific data about each map.

1) We do sell directly to customers. We offer the AccessPORT for the 2003 - 2006 G35 for $495 plus shipping. We do ship using UPS and they do charge brokerage fees to deliver to Canada.

2) If you could get to our facility in Portland, OR or Plano, TX we could do the install for you. That would be quite a drive for you from Ontario. We do have a network of dealers throughout the US and Canada that you can find here. You can see if there is a closer shop that could assist you in installing the parts.

3) A typical dyno tune will range from $300 - $500 depending on the shop. If there are no professional tuning shops in your area you could get your car e-tuned. A tuner can custom tune your car over the internet using data logs off of the AccessPORT. It will not yield as good of results as a good tuner with a dyno, but where dyno tuning is not an option it is the next best thing. We offer e-tuning services through our Surgeline COBB Tuning location. We also have our AccessTUNER Race software to download for free. If you feel comfortable that software will allow you to edit any of our maps and custom tune your own car.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-----

Chris Haag
Sales/Tech Support
COBB Tuning

Hmmm. Tuners for both in the GTA. It's almost a coin toss type deal. However if Cipher isn't included in the price (re: Osiris), the AP's engine code reading feature would have me sold on Cobb. Plus, I don't have a personal laptop lol...
Noobs...

It really depends on where you live. And technically, the reflash is illegal in more states than the TPs and HFCs. The difference is, you can't physically see a reflash.

Last edited by dofu; 04-05-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driv..._test_desc.php

"Before the tail-pipe emissions test can be performed the inspector will perform a visual inspection to check for the presence of a catalytic converter(s)"

...still laughing?

Old 04-05-2010, 12:45 PM
...ok, so it really is a price match between the $495 AP and the $500 Osiris Standard. Thanks for clearing this up hehe.

I would still need to go with the Standard package should I be relying on a tuner in Toronto to do the job?!?
You can go through Uprev's eTunes with the standard package, although I'm not sure how well they can fine tune your car as compared to a good tuner with your car on the dyno. But the biggest difference between the Standard kit and Tuner kit is that you'd have to go through authorized tuners with the Standard, and anybody can tune it with the Tuner kit, and the Tuner kit doesn't come with any free eTunes (although you can still purchase and use them).

But the one thing I like about the Osiris more than the Cobb is the Osiris doesn't need a physical controller. It uses a laptop to upload the reflash onto the ECU, and after that, you don't need the laptop anymore. You can toggle through maps while on the go using the steering wheel Cruise Control buttons, as where you'd need to keep the AccessPORT hooked up, and route the line somewhere.

BTW, you won't have to worry about which Osiris package to get if you go through an authorized dealer/tuner. You'd be just fine with a Basic as they can reflash your ECU in house, but you'd need to get dyno tuned, which can cost a pretty penny depending on where you go.

Last edited by dofu; 04-05-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:48 PM
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driv..._test_desc.php

"Before the tail-pipe emissions test can be performed the inspector will perform a visual inspection to check for the presence of a catalytic converter(s)"

...still laughing?
What the hell is a "Ministry of the Environment"??? (forgot you guys are in Canada)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1st post on here - bolt-ons, getting most out of them