G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

1st post on here - bolt-ons, getting most out of them

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 458 Likes on 237 Posts
OP, since you have an automatic and are opting for all the bolt-ons, you should really consider one of my grounding kits.
Click here for a ton of reviews:

https://g35driver.com/forums/reviews...es-review.html

PM me if you are interested.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right...i am not arguing you'll get a little more power but i was comparing the cost to the power you get. Obviously having all the bolt ons will benefit most from the tune so if you're going to get a tune, make sure you have all the mods you're going to do

Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by SxExCx
OP, since you have an automatic and are opting for all the bolt-ons, you should really consider one of my grounding kits.
Click here for a ton of reviews:

https://g35driver.com/forums/reviews...es-review.html

PM me if you are interested.
Looks good! Would you say most people see a night & day difference when launching? I'll do the occasional track/drag day once I'm all done with the bolt-ons + tune...

Having done several 'big 3' car audio upgrades in the past (alt--batt/batt--chassis/alt--chassis) to keep up with high current demands, I keep a good stock of 4 ga & 0/1 ga here... I guess 8 ga is more than enough for AT grounding, reviews are really positive. Covering for 1400w rms worth of amplifiers is another story - HO alt was FedEx'ed to me last week.

After reading 1st & 2nd last page of your grounding kit thread, I'm still not clear as to whether or not you can ship to Canada. I don't do Paypal (since I'm no eBay fan), is that an issue? Please shoot me a pm if it's not, I'm interested.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Sceptor
Right...i am not arguing you'll get a little more power but i was comparing the cost to the power you get. Obviously having all the bolt ons will benefit most from the tune so if you're going to get a tune, make sure you have all the mods you're going to do

That is the benefit of these kits. You can do a tune from their sites and get a basic tune and help your parts work better together. Then, when you are done with your mods, you can have it tuned on a dyno with the same programmer you already purchased.

Op, I would check your area and see if there are tuners for Cobb or Osiris. If there are Cobb tuners then I would go with that. If there are Osiris tuners I would go with that. If there are both I would search the forum to see who has the best reputation and go with the programmer they use.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
It's my understanding the gains from tuning don't seem to be alot, 5hp ? for 500 bucks. Granted it all depends on your mods but from everyone I've spoken to you dont need to do the tune unless you find your car is having a/f issues and thats with the mrev2 and spacer etc. Regardless the one thing I do know is you shouldn't spend your money on it till you have the bolt-on's you are going to do done so if you're going to get the mrev2 get that before you spend the money on the tune.

Let me know how it turns out, i have a place in Virginia who can do an Osiris tune and maybe when i get all my bolt on's done was considering getting a tune.
Wrong. I gained a hell of a lot more than 5 hp. See my Dyno sheet below.

My Osiris Tune: Look at the TQ gains at 2500 and 3000rpm and around 3700rpm's . Then look at the HP gains around 5000 rpm. Do the math and tell me what my gain is at those RPM's.

OP, instead of the headers, I would have went with test pipes or High flow cats. Not only are they cheaper, easier to install, but you will gain more with TP's or HFC's. According to my tuner, TP's or HFC's are highly recommended to get the most out of a tune with just bolt-ons.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the graph, holy hell that's a nice improvement over your baseline (assuming stock?)... aren't TPs & HFCs illegal though? I just have the feeling that with the sound (headers + Gen 2), cops are gonna want to see exactly what I've done to the exhaust system.

Jacques,

We have Pro Tuners in Toronto. If you check our Dealer page you will find listings. These shops can do the install and the tune in one stop. You're always best served with a dyno tune, we offer the Osiris Standard as an option for US cars that aren't close to a Pro Tuner. I know the fuel you get in different regions of CA can be pretty close to the fuel we get here, but I also know some of it can be pretty far off spec when you get to the outer regions of CA which is why we try and get customers to work directly with Pro Tuners who are knowledgeable in these areas.

Rich-

Jacques,

A custom tune will help dial the car in for your specific modifications. If you are not running the exact modifications we recommend for one of our maps a custom tune will allow you to correct for any issues caused by your modifications and recalibrate your engine control unit to take advantage of your modifications. If you click on the map notes for the Stage 1 or Stage 2 maps it will give you specific data about each map.

1) We do sell directly to customers. We offer the AccessPORT for the 2003 - 2006 G35 for $495 plus shipping. We do ship using UPS and they do charge brokerage fees to deliver to Canada.

2) If you could get to our facility in Portland, OR or Plano, TX we could do the install for you. That would be quite a drive for you from Ontario. We do have a network of dealers throughout the US and Canada that you can find here. You can see if there is a closer shop that could assist you in installing the parts.

3) A typical dyno tune will range from $300 - $500 depending on the shop. If there are no professional tuning shops in your area you could get your car e-tuned. A tuner can custom tune your car over the internet using data logs off of the AccessPORT. It will not yield as good of results as a good tuner with a dyno, but where dyno tuning is not an option it is the next best thing. We offer e-tuning services through our Surgeline COBB Tuning location. We also have our AccessTUNER Race software to download for free. If you feel comfortable that software will allow you to edit any of our maps and custom tune your own car.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-----

Chris Haag
Sales/Tech Support
COBB Tuning

Hmmm. Tuners for both in the GTA. It's almost a coin toss type deal. However if Cipher isn't included in the price (re: Osiris), the AP's engine code reading feature would have me sold on Cobb. Plus, I don't have a personal laptop lol...

Old 04-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by drozzy
Thanks for the graph, holy hell that's a nice improvement over your baseline (assuming stock?)... aren't TPs & HFCs illegal though? I just have the feeling that with the sound (headers + Gen 2), cops are gonna want to see exactly what I've done to the exhaust system.
The baseline graph is with mods, un-tuned. The orange line was after tuning was done. If it was stock, the gap would be much more.

Yes TP's and HFC's are "illegal", but if you want to get the most out of your tune, it is highly recommended. My advice to you is to simply sell the headers and get HFC's or TP's. It's been proven that gains with headers are simply not worth the cost plus the cost of installation. I love in the the most "greenest" places in the world with the strictest exhaust ***** and lots of us here runs HFC's and TP's. I have a true dual exhaust and I simply added a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe. It's quieter now then before the test pipes.

Try to negotiate the price for a tune. The price here in Socal is $550 out the door with dyno tuning at church automotive.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:31 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
What about his mods requires a tune exactly? He"d be better off spending the money on an mrev2 , 'n00b' eh?
He has an automatic, n00b, so the gains he would see with a MREV2 would be minimal if non-existent. With all the breathing mods he has mentioned he would benefit greatly from a tune as our other members have mentioned.

Please know what you are talking about before you try and flame those of us that do. And please refrain from giving advice until you are 100% sure the advice you are giving is accurate.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jairen
Yes TP's and HFC's are "illegal", but if you want to get the most out of your tune, it is highly recommended. My advice to you is to simply sell the headers and get HFC's or TP's. It's been proven that gains with headers are simply not worth the cost plus the cost of installation. I love in the the most "greenest" places in the world with the strictest exhaust ***** and lots of us here runs HFC's and TP's. I have a true dual exhaust and I simply added a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe. It's quieter now then before the test pipes.
Thanks for giving me the clear picture on gains associated with headers vs HFCs/TPs... however, 5 years from now when I sell the car / trade it in, it wouldn't pass the safety insp nor would it pass Ontario's e-test.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driv...nStandards.pdf (see p. 2)

Ontario ***** are comparable to those of SoCal...

I work on a mil base -CFB Petawawa- where you see a plethora of white cars (MPs) waiting for a deep, 'tuned up sounding' exhaust note to be heard since most guys returning from tour go all out w/ such mods. Even if the car sounds quiet.. they carry out regular check-ups on modded cars - and mine qualifies. I WILL have cops check my car, it's just a matter of time. Obviously don't want to lose the car to them because of illegal components.

At least I won't be expecting your kind of gains... it's all about managing expectations.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should get some Tomei headers and Art pipes.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by drozzy
Thanks for giving me the clear picture on gains associated with headers vs HFCs/TPs... however, 5 years from now when I sell the car / trade it in, it wouldn't pass the safety insp nor would it pass Ontario's e-test.
That's why you save the OEM parts. Re-install them at sale time and sell the aftermarket stuff on here.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 PM
+1 for the P4100! You're going to love it! Good luck with the mods. keep us updated!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
That's why you save the OEM parts. Re-install them at sale time and sell the aftermarket stuff on here.
Maybe I'll do that if the MPs assure me they won't look at the undercarriage again after doing it once, whenever that happens. For now, I don't want Sgt Opportunist to rub an illegal mod ticket to my face...

Anyone knows of a dyno thread that would reflect what Blue Dream was saying about MREV2s giving minimal/non-existent gains on 5AT cars? Just wanna add that to my own little mod documentation... thanks!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:33 AM
in order to get a professional custom tune, you would have to purchase the $750 osiris tuner ecu upgrdae, correct?
sorry for being off topic*

Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM
The way I understand it, if you go to an actual Osiris authorized tuner shop, you first buy the $300 (as advertised on website - may be slightly higher @ shop) reflash service from the shop directly. Then, you negotiate the price of a full tune/dyno based on your specific needs. Piece the two together and you're up to anywhere between $500-800.

The Osiris 'Tuner' service would be for the real, DIY tuner heads out there. Runs on laptop, you keep logs of everything and deal with UpRev directly if you need assistance in the tuning process. $750.

http://secure.uprev.com/osiris-flash-service.html
http://secure.uprev.com/osiris-tuner.html

Someone please correct me if I got it wrong. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1st post on here - bolt-ons, getting most out of them