G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

1st post on here - bolt-ons, getting most out of them

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st post on here - bolt-ons, getting most out of them

Hi everyone,

Just bought an '06 X, planning on remaining NA with some breathing mods/bolt-ons...

- Stillen Hi-Flow intake + Z-tube
- MD 5/16" ISO thermal plenum spacer
- DC Sports headers
- Stillen Gen 2 catback
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3838329

Cobb's AP vs UpRev's Osiris - I've researched those quite a bit... I tend to lean on the AP because I simply cannot afford to send my ECU down to Texas for (undetermined period of time). The AP's stage 2+ map seems to fit my bolt-ons well, and I could probably go down to Toronto for a Pro Tune if need be.

What do you guys think, does Osiris present any major advantage over the AccessPort, given the circumstances?

Please don't bash my car audio background (been on caraudioforum.com since '05), I know some of you hate it... I'm here to learn about performance mods, that's all.

Thanks for any feedback, much appreciated.

Jack

Old 04-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
You can program an Osiris tune to your car using a laptop. If you want a custom tune you need to go to a tuner, but for a basic tune you can download them from Uprev and install them yourself.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by 5150DS
You can program an Osiris tune to your car using a laptop. If you want a custom tune you need to go to a tuner, but for a basic tune you can download them from Uprev and install them yourself.
Thanks for the reply; just to confirm, basic tune refers to the following link, right?

http://secure.uprev.com/osiris-standard.html

I just need a laptop and I'm all set?!?

$500 is comparable to the online price of a Cobb AP... is there anything, performance wise, that would give an edge to Osiris?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:59 PM
with your mods if you can get the AP cheaper, go with that

Old 04-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just wanted to dissuade you from getting the Metra kit for your dash. You probably saw it on Crutchfield and bought it already, but the best choice is the JDM dash kit since it will match up with everything better (since it's technically stock). Check it out via search.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:33 AM
both the AP & basic Osiris sell for ~$500... unless someone presents facts as to UpRev's product being a better fit for my mods, I'm gonna go with Cobb.

dsmmyth, you raise a good point... IIRC the Metra dash kit causes some problems with respect to dual climate control (saw that on here 2-3 weeks ago), I'll look up the JDM kit. But I thought those fitment issues were only associated with 03-04 G's...

Old 04-04-2010, 12:41 AM
i think the point is if they cost the same, with you mods you have go with whatever is cheapest followed by whatever sounds cooler to you.

That being said your wasting your money either way

Old 04-04-2010, 07:39 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Care to explain what's a waste of money?

That sounds like an awfully ignorant and uneducated statement n00b!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:22 AM
What about his mods requires a tune exactly? He"d be better off spending the money on an mrev2 , 'n00b' eh?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 AM
1. Well, an MREV2 goes for just under $500; right? OK, point taken. Now I'd like to read a technical explanation as to why buying either the AP or Osiris would be a waste of money... right now these are the two threads I'm going by, for references:

https://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-d...-whatever.html
http://www.6mt.net/forum/th-motorspo...ccessport.html

"Level 2+:
This is for those who have every bolt on mod: Intake, header, exhaust, plenum spacer etc."

...now's the time to prove you're not a n00b Sceptor, get that technical stuff out your mouth.

2. JDM dash kit: can anybody confirm that 05-06 G's will see dual climate control problems with the Metra kit? All I could find was this...

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=4343

"those of you that have the 2005-2007 G35 can use PN# 27500-0507ACD to retain dual climate function." - and they're out of stock, great.

Is this the only avail option for now?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-I...31202012r38004

3. A quick peak at what my intentions are with the G in regards to car audio... (Oct '09)
http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=323613

Old 04-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
drozzy, my only suggestion is to get a JDM DD kit. I wouldn't have gotten the Stillen intake because it's no better than the stock box, which is already quite good. A filter upgrade would have been sufficient.

And let me say, and I think I speak for many members here, it's refreshing to see a noob (based on join date) come in here with an intelligent, well thought out first post. You've obviously done your homework and know what you want, and that alone puts you in the 99th percentile for new members. We thank you.

BTW, lots of former Maxima owners on here. Had a '91 SE for about 11 years.

Last edited by BuckeyeInMI; 04-04-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Sceptor
What about his mods requires a tune exactly? He"d be better off spending the money on an mrev2 , 'n00b' eh?
Plenum spacer, intake, headers, and full catback will certainly benefit from a tune. Current upgrades + tune is better than current upgrades + mrev2 and no tune.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
drozzy, my only suggestion is to get a JDM DD kit.
...and I thought I could trust Metra 100%, gee. That postpones my CA install to late June/early July, since I'm going away on exercise to Yuma soon enough. Too bad.

And let me say, and I think I speak for many members here, it's refreshing to see a noob (based on join date) come in here with an intelligent, well thought out first post. You've obviously done your homework and know what you want, and that alone puts you in the 99th percentile for new members. We thank you.

BTW, lots of former Maxima owners on here. Had a '91 SE for about 11 years.
Well thanks!! I get the feeling I'm going to be learning a heck of a lot from you guys.

I believe going from a Maxima to a G sedan is a normal transition/progression lol... the Max was extremely well respected in the 90's, outstanding reliability + decent performance. I'm glad Nissan transferred some corporate knowledge into RWD/AWD platform projects over the years.

Plenum spacer, intake, headers, and full catback will certainly benefit from a tune. Current upgrades + tune is better than current upgrades + mrev2 and no tune.
So relieving to hear, thanks for the confirmation. I may get an MREV2 when I'm back from exercise, not set in stone though. But the dyno threads I've seen on here almost have me sold on it already...

Old 04-04-2010, 11:12 AM
It's my understanding the gains from tuning don't seem to be alot, 5hp ? for 500 bucks. Granted it all depends on your mods but from everyone I've spoken to you dont need to do the tune unless you find your car is having a/f issues and thats with the mrev2 and spacer etc. Regardless the one thing I do know is you shouldn't spend your money on it till you have the bolt-on's you are going to do done so if you're going to get the mrev2 get that before you spend the money on the tune.

Let me know how it turns out, i have a place in Virginia who can do an Osiris tune and maybe when i get all my bolt on's done was considering getting a tune.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 458 Likes on 237 Posts
^wrong, with all the proper bolt-ons, you will get more power from the tune than the parts themselves.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1st post on here - bolt-ons, getting most out of them