G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

An Affordable Fix For Crappy Bose Systems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Affordable Fix For Crappy Bose Systems?

Hey guys i'm new to the forum and i gotta say i LOVE my 2006 g35x but there's one thing that has been bothering me and it's the sound quality...i don't know much about cars and definitely don't know anything about sound systems but i can just hear something lacking.....

http://www1.epinions.com/review/2006...t_430328483460

What this reviewer wrote under "Not Good" is really spot on to me...

"....Both Bose and non-Bose systems have over-emphasized upper bass and treble and severely lack midrange and lower bass. Contrary to popular belief and the common sense, you have to adjust bass to about -3 dB and treble to about -3/-4 dB for sound to get semi-decent. Only then the midrange can be heard. Still, the lower bass is lacking, despite having a separate Bose woofer (not a real subwoofer).

The Bose system boosts upper bass, which makes the sound unnatural. The speakers on the rear shelf are added and they are called "super woofers" - they boost upper bass and lower midrange but do not produce any "real" bass. As is the lower bass, the upper midrange is also lacking."

Can someone recommend an affordable way to solve the problem...what kind of after market part would i have to change?

Again..i am not very car savvy and i don't want anything ridiculously over the top... all i want is good sound quality!

Appreciate all the help i can get!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
^ Welcome to the forums, OP.

You should really do some searching as this has been the bane of many a G35 owner before you and I'm sure well after you sell it. A good place to start would be the stickies in the Audio/Visual subforum, these two are good:

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-stock-hu.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...se-system.html

Solving the Bose crappiness is pretty easy actually; you're only limited by your budget and the effort you give into problem-solving - i.e. you can spend a lot of time researching by reading the forums and listening to different setups.....or you can just give a sound shop a few hundred bucks for them to figure it out. Regardless, in my experience, install & sound deadening are two commonly overlooked aspects of upgrading car audio that should be as important as speaker/HU/amp selection.

Personally, I'd do alot more than just replace the speakers and/or headunit, but that would cost quite a bit.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for pnn23 for giving this newb a kind welcome....and good advice...i am gona search for solutions and hopefully find a dumbed down explanation for everything ..also i am on a low budget and if i do the installation personally i'm hoping for the easiest way to get good balanced sound by installing or replacing the least audio components possible...

Old 04-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
No problem man, the forums are a big place and you always gotta start somewhere. We were all newbs at one point.

I posted 2x before on this subject, and if budget is your main concern, I'm sure a nice ~$100 component set of speakers (Phoenix Gold RSD65's or PPI 356's are nice at this price point) to your stock Bose HU plus install costs would be inexpensive for a slightly 'better-than-stock' sound. Since it sounds like you may be DIY'ing, look into sound deadening if you're thinking of adding more bass. This (just replacing the front speakers) could also backfire, though, and magnify the weaknesses of the Bose to the point where you get into a cycle of more equipment, installs, & $$$. Just getting a double din kit in our G35's to be able to install a DD headunit is ~$300 alone.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post4885865

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post4883533

Old 04-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Search "Bose" in most any form and you will find a plethora of information. A lot of people replace the Bose amp and that improves the sound quality greatly from what Ive read.
I personally just replaced everything. I was intending on just replacing the HU and adding an amp and subs, but that sounded like crap. I ended up replacing the Bose amp with an aftermarket 4ch and replaced the door speakers...sounds so much better now.

I would start with the amp since that seems to be the weakest link.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Yeah, you say affordable, but you own a luxury car?

Come on over the audio forums and post up your dollar-amount description of affordable and we'll get you hooked up with recommendations.