G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Bought Acura TL-S, but love the G!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Bought Acura TL-S, but love the G!

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

But I didn't really buy the car to race anyone (I'm getting too old for that kind of stuff, plus I'm chicken to go too fast on public roads).

<hr></blockquote>

I'm in that category too, but I do revel in the G's power during everyday driving. As for the stereo in the TL, I'm also beyond the "boom-boom" stage of my life. The TL's Bose fell only just short of being adequate for me, but because I could not find myself comfortable as a TL owner, I never looked into upgrading. The standard stereo on the G is above adequate, and I'm sure just replacing the speakers will enhance this system enough if I wanted a little more quality and volume.

Check out http://www.acura-tl.com/, I got tired of them after a few months but there is stereo upgrade information available, (if I remember correctly). And then there's http://www.acuraworld.com/ .

Happy Hunting!

03 G35
02 Sequoia

Old 03-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waiting anxiously for my G

I started my obsession with the G about a year and a half ago. I wanted a sports / luxury car and on my short list were the Acura TL and the G35.

After reading consumer reports and a bunch of other reviews, I was really looking forward to driving both and in my mind, the TL was the front runner. I actually liked the styling better than the G.

When it came time to test drive, the G35 sedan was first. It blew me away. Loved it - absolutely loved the power and the way it handled. The TL has lots of great gadgets like the bluetooth phone / touch screen navigation interaction, etc. but I was very disappointed in the way it felt on the road in comparison to the G35 (drove both on the same day). Not only that, but I actually liked the G35 interior and driver positioning better. I actually never liked Acura interior styling. I'm shorter than most and it never felt right to me.

Anyway, to make a long story short, just last week I ordered a 2005 G35 Coupe 6MT. I'll drive her home in May!

Old 03-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Whoa......
Thread resurected from the depths of obscurity

Old 03-31-2005, 01:04 PM
If you check closely Honda detuned the tl/cl untill the tranny stopped failing as often. The changed the power profile of the engine where it made more torque down low and lower than any other v6 to way up high or higher than any other v6..

What this says to me is they do not know how to design cars and power trains to last. I felt great knowing that I was detined to have a tranny replaced on my 01 CL S and that the replacement would take away some performance from the car.

The TLers now are more young kids driving their first new car with over 200 HP... So they love them... Yet there have been so many issues with the car and with more lemon law issues than I have heard about on any other car in the last 20 years.

they are good looking fast and cookie cutter cheap cars. So its the chevy monte carlo of the 21st cetury only made cheaper...!!!!

Old 03-31-2005, 01:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Whoa......
Thread resurected from the depths of obscurity
So what, BFD!

Old 03-31-2005, 02:00 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
So what, BFD!
I was JK

I think it's great that someone makes use of the vast resource of info available here

Old 03-31-2005, 05:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
I was JK

I think it's great that someone makes use of the vast resource of info available here
Oops, sorry thought you were complaining.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by chinee
Pauli,

The TL-s is a great car in it's own right, however, there are many of us previous TL owners who are skeptical about the tranny. There's are a couple of owners on the TL forums who have had their trannies shift from fifth to second on the highway at 80 mph; they essentially lost control and swerved all over the highway.

There has also been (quote) "a higher than normal failure rate on the transmissions of TL's, CL's, Odysseys, Preludes and Accord V6's"; admitted by Honda in August 2002, after owners have been complaining for more than a year. This occurs for model years 2000 to early 2003. The tranny warranty was extended 7yrs/100K, and the flaw was supposedly addressed.

In August 2002, Honda estimated that 1 million cars were affected, 1.6% of their sales in the US, so they didn't consider it to be such a big problem that an extended warranty couldn't cure. Even though admitting that there was a problem, all queries to Honda about specifically why it occured, have NEVER been answered.

My TL-p tranny died at 18K, warped rotors at 19K, and had a malfunctioning ignition module at 20K. My wife drove the TL right up until 20K; that's when I found the forum posts about the dangerous tranny lock up's, and took the TL from my wife (she was happy, I drove the TL and traded my 1996 Altima for a Sequoia).

The trannies also often fail several times, even today. In early January 2003, a friend of mine at work carried her TL-s in to the dealer because the tranny started jerking. They took a week and a half to replace it (Acura only installs remanufactured units), and on the way home from the dealer, the tranny failed again! So after another week and another replacement, she got her TL-s back, and what do you know, it fails AGAIN after 3 days! Remember, Honda claimed in August 2002, that the flaw was addressed. It is because of this that I mistrust Honda, and it will be a very long time before I buy their product again.

This is when I made a decision to dump my TL (30K miles) and get whatever.... I knew I would take a loss of about $4K on the TL so was looking for a car that cost under $30K, I was about to settle for an IS300 but decided to look at the G as well. As of Feb 6th 2003, I returned to the fold and will never leave Nissan again.

The tranny issue has caused a big disturbance in the Honda "force" with many TL'ers stirring up dissent, while other owners are claiming that we (the relatively small number of victims) are blowing the tranny issue out of proportion. And it doesn't help (the victims) that magazines continue to give the TL higher than average ratings in durability and reliability. The tranny could have very well been fixed in my car as Acura Customer Service tried to assure me, however, I never felt at ease with the TL during my 4-5 months of driving it, every little noise I heard, or vibration I felt caused me worry. And driving 36K/yr meant that the extended warranty was only good for 3 years of my driving; not a good position to be in during year 4 of ownership. It was all about peace of mind for me.

But the TL's headlights are fantastic, it puts the G's to shame. Gas mileage is also much better and the interior is a little nicer. But a big advantage the G has is this forum... the TL is as popular with the ricers as Honda, and the Acura forums overflow with immaturity.

If your faith in Honda/ Acura reliability remains unfazed, you have a great car. Good luck and enjoy!

03 G35
02 Sequoia
I AGREE! I had a 2001 TL and my wife had a 2001 CL. We really wanted to believe in good old Honda quality as I had a 1986 Honda product and it proved to be the best most reliable car I ever owned. The 2001's were laden with defects. Bad rotors, sunroof rattles, auto trans problems. I got so tired of returning tio the dealer i got rid of mine (no trans problem at that time). However, my wifes trans went at 24000 and then 3 months later, it shifted into neutral by itself at hwy speeds while attempting to change lanes. It also seemed to mis shift at times but the dealer was never able to verify this. As I love my wife and did not want her to die in that POS, I asked the dealer to purchase the car from me. I got Kelly Blue Book excellent less 100.00. ACURA can kiss my butt as I will stay away from them. Their engines are terriffic but the rest of the car mind as well be American!! (sorry GM).

Old 04-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
So what, BFD!
Wow...sand in the vagina much?

Old 04-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get 20 mpg in my Coupe 6MT with combined city/highway driving.

It's easier to upgrade the G's stereo than the TL- the G's stereo is not tied into the Nav system. All I need is $7000 and I'll have a great stereo! LOL