G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

i lost the love for this car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol see if i ever had to take clients out i wouldn't really be able to. I'm talking in the sedan section but i'm a coupe-r. sorry guys :P

Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm a career criminal, this is my getaway car transporter be damned

Old 04-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Dave, my car doesnt really feel like it handles as well as the way your describing and im on G/Z springs with coupe struts...

My car feels.... i dont know, not very good on corners. I have the 19s with 245 series tires on all 4 corners (Falken FK452) and honestly, my friends 03 Sedan on stock sport suspension and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s felt way 'sportier' than my car does. My car feels very... loose almost. It stiffened up a LOT when i had the coupe eibach pro kit on. I could take corners like a fricken champ. There was nothing like being able to feel teh VDC kicking in coming out of corners, right at that limit, and just sticking on the quick toss around corners.

But, it rode like complete **** and i bottomed out with 4 people in the car, so that had to go, and now im back to my more comfortable Z/G coupe setup... doesn't handle as well, but it rides a HELLUVA lot better. I don't live on a race track, and i do a lot of driving, and quite low just wasn't cutting it.

I don't know why though. I get a lot of front plow going into corners and the car feels very heavy. In fact, im almost afraid im doing damage to the car when i hot dog it around cloverleaf's... it might be my upper control arm though. I need to fix that when i get home.
My setup isn't anything fancy:

1) 19lbs 18X8 ASA AR1 rims
2) 235/45R18 PZero Nero summer tires, 30psi street
3) Z springs front, coupe springs rear, revised Z shocks
4) Cobb rear sway bar, lowest setting - 70% stiffer than stock
5) 3.54 VLSD (recently added)

Honestly, I can't pin the handling change/improvement to one single thing. Tires are always a big thing and the PZero Neros are very sticky and have great feel. I will admit the car can be a handful above 7/10ths when it's on the all season high performance 215/55R17. The Z shocks do improve handling feel, but they do add more ride firmness. When I push my car into sweeper turn, it just settles in and keeps a nice line while sticking hard. On the auto-x, the G is not the most graceful thing to watch, but auto-x isn't a graceful race. The G can be a handful, but it's a sweet chassis. You can coax it into power oversteer, make it go completely neutral, or put it into terminal oversteer. OR if you don't know what you're doing, it will bite you in the butt.

Your car's handling problems could be related to the Coupe shocks as they might be a bit undervalved for the drop and bigger rims. The shocks could also be worn out. I know my Sport shocks were toast after 65K miles, 40K miles of which were with a 1" drop they weren't intended for. The rears were really bad. But I think biggest culprit is your tires. They're quite a bit taller than stock (about .6-.7 inches). The 245 width in the front plus the taller sidewall might be a bit too much to the point they're not getting fully utilized. Have you experimented with tire pressure? You could reduce some understeer by adding a rear swaybar or upping the rear tire pressure. The understeer could also be related to your driving. If you go too fast into a slower (sub 40mph), tight corner and then try to turn hard, the G is going to plow badly. Been there, done that. The quickest way to get out of that situation (if you've got the room), is to quickly and momentarily turn the wheels out of the intended direction, and then turn back into the intended direction. Yeah, it's sounds backwards, but it works damn good. The real fix is to improve your driving and not get so greddy. The trick is to be as smooth as possible.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I'll have to experiment with the car once i get the new upper control arm on and see. I have only driven my car a little bit (with newer struts) and it feels better than the sport struts i was on, but this may be out to. I'll see though. They shouldn't be too bad.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sometime u have to sacrifice for comfort. i just gave up a few show cars and motorcyce to own this 1g. yes a lil pricey but yet cheaper then fillin up 3 vehicles/.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:13 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB

Your car's handling problems could be related to the Coupe shocks as they might be a bit undervalved for the drop and bigger rims. The shocks could also be worn out. I know my Sport shocks were toast after 65K miles, 40K miles of which were with a 1" drop they weren't intended for. The rears were really bad. But I think biggest culprit is your tires. They're quite a bit taller than stock (about .6-.7 inches). The 245 width in the front plus the taller sidewall might be a bit too much to the point they're not getting fully utilized. Have you experimented with tire pressure? You could reduce some understeer by adding a rear swaybar or upping the rear tire pressure. The understeer could also be related to your driving. If you go too fast into a slower (sub 40mph), tight corner and then try to turn hard, the G is going to plow badly. Been there, done that. The quickest way to get out of that situation (if you've got the room), is to quickly and momentarily turn the wheels out of the intended direction, and then turn back into the intended direction. Yeah, it's sounds backwards, but it works damn good. The real fix is to improve your driving and not get so greddy. The trick is to be as smooth as possible.
On the subject of tires... how would my situation be i'm planning on running 245/45/18 with 18x8.5 all around rather then running the recommended 235/45/18 i will only be i think .3 inches taller, reason behind this was mainly due to me having a little bit wider wheels then stock and the tire selection is great for 245/45 VS 235/45

Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would go 245/40 if I were you ^^^.... I mean.. the 245/45/18 is too big (compared to stock tire diameter)... and 245/40 is just slightly smaller (diameter wise)...

Just my $0.02

PS - I need some revised struts pronto. I have 156k on my stock sedan struts and I'm dropped on the Z/G combo. They creak like crazy!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by TehG35
I would go 245/40 if I were you ^^^.... I mean.. the 245/45/18 is too big (compared to stock tire diameter)... and 245/40 is just slightly smaller (diameter wise)...

Just my $0.02

PS - I need some revised struts pronto. I have 156k on my stock sedan struts and I'm dropped on the Z/G combo. They creak like crazy!
yea but i plug the sizes in the tire calcaultor came up with

235/45/18 = 26.32 overall diamater
245/45/18 = 26.68 overall diamater at 60mph i will be going 59.1 mph
245/40/18 = 25.71 overall diameter at 60mph i will be going 61.4 mph

245/45 is bigger but CLOSER to original size. i ran 235/45 and 265/40 last summer, loved it and PREFECT sizing.

I dont know too much on tires and etc. I'm keeping the car thru this summer so i might as well put some nice summer rubber on it and see if i can enjoy it.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by TehG35
Haha, I'm a mechanical engineering major. I will be pursuing my MBA as well after I get my BS. I already work as a co-op for a large company.. And feel like I have my life in a good direction. I'm not getting ahead of myself and dropping big cash on something new now though... No point. Plus nothing in life is guaranteed, so I don't wanna be presumptuous. I definitely didn't mean to sound like a pompous ***** and act like i'd drop $100k on a car lol. I will forever buy used. Even if it's 10k miles on the sucker it's typically at least 60% the price of new. Besides, I'm partial to the E39 M5

It can be done. I'm 29 and a mechanical engineer. Graduated when I was 23. But instead of the $100K AMG, I own 2 peices of property. A house, a beachfront condo. When it came time for a new car for me, i bought a 4-year old used Infiniti. When you start making some good $$, you stop caring about your cars and start caring about real estate, investments, stocks, etc.

But i have promised myself a Porsche 911 convertible for my 35th birthday.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:15 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I have a couple friends doing mechanical Engineering and man, the stuff they have to do looks ridiculous... i wouldnt last long in that degree..

Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's where I hope to be, Mustang!

I have a couple friends doing mechanical Engineering and man, the stuff they have to do looks ridiculous... i wouldnt last long in that degree..
It's definitely not easy my friend. I like what I do, but it takes a lot of determination! I'm only halfway through school so far so I hope I'll make it lol

Old 04-30-2010, 01:39 PM
lol, screw education! I'm gonna be a trophy husband. gonna marry rich and use her inheritance money to fund my movies. and cars. muahaha.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
yea but i plug the sizes in the tire calcaultor came up with

235/45/18 = 26.32 overall diamater
245/45/18 = 26.68 overall diamater at 60mph i will be going 59.1 mph
245/40/18 = 25.71 overall diameter at 60mph i will be going 61.4 mph

245/45 is bigger but CLOSER to original size. i ran 235/45 and 265/40 last summer, loved it and PREFECT sizing.

I dont know too much on tires and etc. I'm keeping the car thru this summer so i might as well put some nice summer rubber on it and see if i can enjoy it.
Later this summer I'll be replacing my 235/45 PZeros and I'm going with 225/45 in the front and 245/40 in the rear. I'm going with Sumitomo HTRZIIIs which are highly rated in TireRack's comparison test. The fronts are 25.9 and the rears are 25.8. The PZeros are 26.2 which is OEM size. I'm choosing the fractionally shorter tires because:

1) More selection, cheaper
2) Will look better. The 235/45s look too tall, IMO.
3) Lighter
4) Shorter sidewall means better response on turns.

IMO, a 245/45R18 will look like a ballons. The 8.5 rim should help a little, but they'll still look pretty tall.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Its fun stuff though. Because at least the stuff I deal with is brand new. That means nobody else has created it before and i get to "pop the cherry" so to speak.

I wish i could show you some of the stuff i do, but i have signed NDA's so i can't.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:37 PM
where do you mechanical engineers go to school? I'm totally itching to like jump on a technological startup

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: i lost the love for this car...