G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

i lost the love for this car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
i lost the love for this car...

the car itself has been GREAT. I've haven't had a real issue that wasn't caused by myself. I shouldn't have issues at 46k anyways. I had my car down for a week and drove both my parents car for the week, maxima and camry.

week is over and i'm thinking about it while filling up both cars. A normal week it would of cost me $65 and it cost 36$ for both cars to fill up the gas i used. Got me thinking, i dont need all that power, or luxury. Just been thinking i made a bad choice in the car. Normally when i feel this way i hop in the G and take it to redline and my thoughts change right away.

This time it just didn't, i feel like i think its time to part ways with the car. a lot of you guys love your cars and its easily seen with the mods you do. But DD driving your car makes me think this car was not an ideal option. Going in i knew MPG was bad. I was thinking low 20's but really its mid-high teens for me. I dont want to take this car on long trips. I'm not taking advantage of the car.

I've been debating buying a DD car and using this as a weekend but thats dumb in a sense because i bought a AWD to be my DD. I dont want to sell because i still need 1 more year on payments and i will not come up on top by any means. Its really not too much on the money but the fact that i dont use the car for what its suppose to be and i could be driving like a accord and TSX the same way. I dont feel this car is useful daily.. its not as big. rear seats dont fold so i cant carry too much with the smaller then average trunk. I feel my friends GTI is 10 times more functional and a better fit for me overall but the fact that its not always reliable turns me down.

what do you guys do when you feel this way... I've stop the mods. Even tho i dont have much, coils and track wheels.

I think the car looks sexy and i love everything about the car but i just feel its not for me.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like you're just over reacting just a bit and thinking too negatively about the car. There is plenty to love about this car. Instead of thinking about what you don't need, start thinking about what you love about the car and why you bought it in the first place. Hell, if you really only bought cars that you absolutely NEEDED, then you would have bought some Geo Metro or some ****. lol

Old 04-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
not really thinking negatively, more like reasonably... I'm not that old being 24 in a couple of days but i think my personal likings have changed.. like all kids around 18 i wanted the nice somewhat fast car and really i bought it at 22 when i could afford it with my own money and no mom/dad's, like all the noobs that come here i wanted to make it fast and boost. Now i'm more relaxed of a driver, rarely speed only on the highways i go 70 in a 55.

yea its true about the GEO. Honestly some things are holding me back because otherwise i would of traded it in for something now. I think it might be the lack of a BETTER fitting car for me. the G35 is the low end of the infiniti world. If they drop down and make a 4 banger hatch/wagon i think that would it. I've been eyeballing the TSX wagon mainly because its a slight bump in MPG, slight drop in luxury but a nice move up in functional.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you are going through the "doubting" phase with your car - very typcial. you already passed through the "honeymoon" phase, and if you are able to survive this stage, then you'll be in the "acceptance" phase.

but it sounds like your main concern is fuel cost. if you switched to the camry, then your annual savings is only $360/year. however, in doing so, you'll be losing money by selling this car and buying a new(er) car. so I don't want you to think that you are stuck, but if you look at the grand scheme of things, paying an extra $3k for a car that gets better MPG will actually cost you more than keeping your car for another 6 years...

this is the only reason why I did not get a BMW - the extra $5k in the cost of the beamer is not worth the extra 5mpg.

regarding the TSX, figure out how much would you be saving in MPG, and then determine how much more money you will have to pay out of pocket to trade the cars....

Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jmcohen23 has good advice here.. A couple years ago I owned a Honda Ridgeline, loved the truck at the time, but just had a kid and I was starting to panic on how to stretch every dollar.. So I test drove a civic, the salesman was trying to get me to lease it for 50/month less and sell me on the fact that it would have been 44/month in gas savings..apparently I didnt drive much 2 years ago.

Anyway, the point is once i got behind the wheel of that civic and tried to pull into traffic, i accidentally floored it and it was still slower than molasses. Needless to say I stuck with the truck til I got the G. Think about the cost of the other car (payment+gas), what you may lose on yours to sell it. I would add to really think about the power, but you already drove those other cars for a week.

Are your parents cars the 4 or 6 cylinder versions?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
any type of car above the regular commuter car is going to cost more money for anything.

gas/shocks/tires/etc

if you are looking for a commuter type car, go Camry. they are actually pretty decent.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
uhhh.. g35 makes a decent DD.. unless you are going to upgrade to a much better car.. financially the g35 still makes sense..

btw.. i think similarly time to time.. but the car is actually pretty good.. even for a 7 year old car...

if you went out and bought a camry/accord.. you drive the same car as 10 million people out there.. and if you get the 4 cyl.. you'll miss the 3.5L on onramps, passing, etc...

if my car had bluetooth and mp3 player.. i could keep it for another 5 years.. maybe only 3 now.. hahaha

Old 04-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
buy a prius. i hear they accelerate pretty well.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Oddly enough, I came from a GTi to a G35. Yes, I do miss having a hatch and all of the junk that I could just throw in there like my drums, my dog, art supplies, etc.

However, the GTi was a bittersweet car. Very functional, but even after all of the suspension work and engine work, it was still a FWD econo-hatch. I work out in Harrison, OH (stupid rednecks, BTW) and was pulled over 3 times within the first two weeks I started the job. It just attracted the wrong kind of attention. It was impossible to drive in the snow because of the suspension and I couldn't justify having an everyday car being my 'summer car.'

Have you done any maintenance to the engine? Mid-teens is pretty rough mileage. I'm getting 425 miles per 16 gallons, but I'm also 6MT, not an X.

Before you decide to get upside down in a loan, put $100 towards a full service. Change out plugs, diff fluid, tranny fluid, new filters, good oil change, check tire pressure, wheel bearings, alignment.... basically anything that would mess with MPG.

That might get you a good amount of your MPG back.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by itgogitrev
Oddly enough, I came from a GTi to a G35. Yes, I do miss having a hatch and all of the junk that I could just throw in there like my drums, my dog, art supplies, etc.

However, the GTi was a bittersweet car. Very functional, but even after all of the suspension work and engine work, it was still a FWD econo-hatch. I work out in Harrison, OH (stupid rednecks, BTW) and was pulled over 3 times within the first two weeks I started the job. It just attracted the wrong kind of attention. It was impossible to drive in the snow because of the suspension and I couldn't justify having an everyday car being my 'summer car.'

Have you done any maintenance to the engine? Mid-teens is pretty rough mileage. I'm getting 425 miles per 16 gallons, but I'm also 6MT, not an X.

Before you decide to get upside down in a loan, put $100 towards a full service. Change out plugs, diff fluid, tranny fluid, new filters, good oil change, check tire pressure, wheel bearings, alignment.... basically anything that would mess with MPG.

That might get you a good amount of your MPG back.
^^ 100 for a full tuneup eh?

Old 04-26-2010, 01:23 PM
I agree with 'itgogitrev' on getting a full service to get your mpg's up, (also clean your MAF sensor) only it might be a little more than $100 unless you do it yourself. I have an 06 X and I'm also lowered and some very minor mods, but I get like 23-24mpg on average, but I have like 90% highway and 10% city / traffic for my commute and I still get a few chances per day to have some moments of fun and step on it. I could see you getting such a low mpg number by either driving like a maniac the entire time or constantly driving through city traffic. Maybe also change your driving style a little, it may help.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sceptor
^^ 100 for a full tuneup eh?
Oops, I was typing this up at work really fast. Meant to say $400, not $100.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:27 PM
the point is, if your gonna really make this decision then sit down and crunch all the numbers. Then based off the difference make a decision if its REALLY worth it to you. Its up to you, none of us.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:52 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I agree with the dude talking about stages, me of all people should have caught that (and i did) because i'v been there more times than i'd care to remember.

I just keep coming back to my car because i love it to much.

And i was the EXACT same way when i joined. Make it fast, etc. Young and dumb. Now i drive like an old man and the only time my car sees the gas is if theres an open stretch of freeway heading up to school where i can stretch her legs a bit.. that is really the only time i ever get on it anymore. (i get 25.1mpg btw, doing 78mph)

I have given up on wanting a mileage type car. My mom got a 4 cylinder 09 Altima, and i drove it for the first few months as my car was in storage and i'll tell you what, for an enthusiast, of ANY kind, the MPGs will wear off and the economy piece of sh** will come out of the car and you will instantly miss your G that much more. I was so happy to get back into my car that actually had power (even though i dont utilize it as much as i used to) and little luxurious like an audio system that doesnt crackle once you turn the volumn up and sunroofs (i cant drive a car without one. i was literally going insane without it..)

Id say just keep your car. Maybe just put it back to stock and enjoy it for what it was? (i contemplated that quite a few times. I dont mind a stock G sedan.)

Meh. Just dont lose faith!

Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I love my car and it gets 20 mpg with me hitting every on ramp nice and aggresive. Makes my communte much less of a chore.

Although a TSX might make a good alternative and they do handle well. The **** kicking you will take on the purchase and your sale of your G, won't make up the difference.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: i lost the love for this car...