G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

i lost the love for this car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
2003 coupe went against the bmw 330i and either slightly beat/tied/or slightly lost. Depending on the mag.

So unless he thinks the BMW is also not a sports car.

Or he has a non-sport version of the sedan?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the performance isn't really the only strong point though. I mean the G hold its own. it's not like a wrx or an evo where there is no compromising performance for things like luxury, a sexy interior, etc. Maybe it's not a dd for everybody, and maybe its not the weekend driver either. but it sure as hell is my date night car (actually my only car so it's everything for me).

Old 04-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what you mean man with the G, because of the sport and sometimes you just want to settle down for the luxury. I didn't do much "sporty" upgrades to my G like most members here do because I think that a car too sporty doesn't like professional. I drove my dad's 2010 Maxima, and the luxury was ridiculous, it was amazing, I loved it, very light, but I missed the G's power. I'm still pretty young myself and I'm already getting out that sports car phase.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subaru WRX STI
I used to drive a 96 Maxima from 2000-2005. In 05 I decided, "Wow, the new 06 Civic coupe is nice and it will save me a lot of gas." After owning the Civic for a year, I got so bored with how weak it was compared to the Max. I had no emotional attachment to the car whatsoever.

Fast forward 4 years later... Last Wednesday I gave the Civic to my wife and traded in her car for an 03 G35. Boy did I miss Nissan V6 engines. It's been a loooong time since I've actually looked forward to getting into a car and driving it around. The emotional attachment is back.

Moral of the story, drive a slow POS for a while, then you'll be begging to get back in your G.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
no way I'm getting rid of the car, but last night I seriously considered stopping the madness with looking at and buying parts. this is getting ridiculous. I'm breaking free! Taking my girl to Hawaii instead of Osiris and sway bars

Old 04-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I buy used when I can. Helps the wallet. ie.. wait for a set of Hotckis bars for sale at around $200.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by K Dub
Nah I'm dead serious. I feel kind of let down actually.

Meh, I'm sure I'll get over it. It's not a sports car and it was never meant to be. I just have to get that into my head a little better. I feel like I'm driving a cloud. Makes me feel old, LOL.
Sounds like you've got a G sedan riding on the non-sport suspension and all season 17" tires. Post back when you add a set of wide 18" wheels, quality summer tires, z/coupe springs, and z shocks, and some sway bars. It's two entirely different cars. My G could NEVER be compared to riding on a cloud. My car rides very much like the E46 M3s I've riden in - a bit harsh. But damn, it handles. The cars I can hang with in the auto-x puts a smile on my face.

A sports cars it's not. It's a sports sedan. Once you spend about $1,500 in wheels, tires, and suspension (the stuff most 3 series come with), you unleash the beast.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:49 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I have a 98 Legacy GT wagon (basically the same car). There's a HUGE difference between our generation Legacy's and the 2005-2009 Legacys. It's not even the same ball game. Go sit in a newer with leather, dual plane mooroof. The interior is very sexy and makes the 1st gen G inteior look like a Tonka toy in comparison. A LGT/Outback XT 5MT will do 0-60 in the low 6s/high 5s. I use our LGT to haul 30 bags of mulch, fencing, furniture, etc. and load it with camping gear, car carrier with two bikes on top. There is just so much utility in this car. The 2005-2009 cars can tow 2,700lbs which isn't bad. I can't wait to get my wife a newer Outback. Yeah, I'm biased
I think most of it is the fact that my sister and her fiance are friggen OBSESSED with Subarus, and i really don't want one for that reason lol. I don't want the entire driveway to be engulfed in Subarus as we already have 3 of them, a G35, an Altima, and a Silverado. Keep SOME variety in the driveway.

I drove an 07 Outback Limited 2.5, and an 07 Forester xT and i'd definitley rock an Outback XT (I LOVE wagons). I just dont want a Subaru.
Originally Posted by iTzTeddy
I know what you mean man with the G, because of the sport and sometimes you just want to settle down for the luxury. I didn't do much "sporty" upgrades to my G like most members here do because I think that a car too sporty doesn't like professional. I drove my dad's 2010 Maxima, and the luxury was ridiculous, it was amazing, I loved it, very light, but I missed the G's power. I'm still pretty young myself and I'm already getting out that sports car phase.
Join the club. I feel like an old man.

EXCEPT I GOT A TICKET TODAY! I havn't been pulled over for speed ONCE in my G35, but 2 days after i bring our Chevy Pickup to school, im screwing around and unleashed all 370 of its wheel horses and accelerated up to 45 briskly. Next thing i knew i had a motorcycle popo behind me. Speed limit was 30 and the long tube headers and full exhaust caught his attention. Ticket is only $15. Gotta love North Dakota!

Now im really going to drive slow though. No more tickets for me.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Ticket is only $15.
WTF????? I hope you never visit Chicago...

Old 04-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
I think most of it is the fact that my sister and her fiance are friggen OBSESSED with Subarus, and i really don't want one for that reason lol. I don't want the entire driveway to be engulfed in Subarus as we already have 3 of them, a G35, an Altima, and a Silverado. Keep SOME variety in the driveway.

I drove an 07 Outback Limited 2.5, and an 07 Forester xT and i'd definitley rock an Outback XT (I LOVE wagons). I just dont want a Subaru.

Join the club. I feel like an old man.

EXCEPT I GOT A TICKET TODAY! I havn't been pulled over for speed ONCE in my G35, but 2 days after i bring our Chevy Pickup to school, im screwing around and unleashed all 370 of its wheel horses and accelerated up to 45 briskly. Next thing i knew i had a motorcycle popo behind me. Speed limit was 30 and the long tube headers and full exhaust caught his attention. Ticket is only $15. Gotta love North Dakota!

Now im really going to drive slow though. No more tickets for me.
being a driver in chicago and los angeles... **** you

Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
This car only beat the BMW 330i in a head to head comparison test.
Motor Trend - August 2002
330i vs CTS vs G35

G35 sedan wins over the 330i sedan.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...dan/index.html

Old 04-28-2010, 12:26 AM
-MN G Crew-

Originally Posted by G35xChicago
WTF????? I hope you never visit Chicago...
Originally Posted by PerpetualVisitor
being a driver in chicago and los angeles... **** you
Some times it pays to live in BFE

Except in my home state of MN, it would have been $200...

Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
Its just time driving the maxima and camry that kinda made me feel like this. I still do and i know a lot of guys feel the same way, just wanted to know their reasonings as to why they are still here and driving it.

I <3 my G but i dont know if its for me
Here's why I'm still here. My prior car was a decently modified 96 Maxima 5MT I had for 6 years and prior to that I had a modifed 94 Z28 for 4 years. With the Z28, I learned that there will ALWAYS be someone faster in the same car and that low 13s is not quick by late model musclecar standards. With the Maxima, I learned that modifying a rather bland 4-door into a very sporty 4-door was a lot of fun and that running low 14s in a sedan gets you a lot of respect at the strip. I also learned that you can only do so much with FWD. With the Z28 and Maxima, I constantly got the itch to get something newer and better. There were lots of months when I didn't like the car's at all.

Then in early 2005, I bit the bullet and bought my 03 G sedan. Now I was making more money, but I also had a child and house to pay for so my car funds were next to nothing. I had to buy little $50-100 mods here and there. How do you guys think I got so crafty with the OEM mods I've now owned my G for well over 5 years and I can honestly say I've never gotten the itch to get something else even though I can afford something way newer and faster than my nearly 8 y/o G35 that's worth maybe $11K. I'm pretty much set on keeping this car for a very long time and probably picking up a fun car like a Miata for auto-x (my dream is an S2000). Why do I like my G so much?

1) It's treated very well and has been extremely reliable
2) It's mine. By that I mean I've tailored/modified the car to how I want it. It doesn't look like every sedate 1st gen G35 I see rolling around Kansas City. It turns heads all the time, whether it's a high school kid or some older guy in Camry. It would take me a lot of money to get another car to where it's mine.
3) I still have other mods I want to do
4) It's a blast on the auto-x and it's fun to see what it's capable of. Sure, it's not the ideal for auto-x, but that doesn't stop it from being fun and putting up some strong numbers against other sporty cars like S4s, 330/335s, 350Zs, WRXs, etc.
5) It's roomy for a sports sedan. I'm 6' 1" and a 6 footer can still sit behind me. The trunk is decent size too. It's nearly 15 cubic feet which is right inline with a Camry or Maxima.
6) It gets decent MPGs. I get around 19-20 in the city and 26+ on the highway. It's hard to argue with that when the car does so much, so well.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:32 AM
-MN G Crew-

I just wish my car wasn't a base model ex fleet/rental car :/ If it was a more optioned model that was certified i'd probably keep it for years....

Old 04-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreatDane001
Well it's a luxurious, premium-type automobile so naturally it will never feel like a Subaru. Nothing against Subies but the cars are very different
But that's just the thing...it's not. I mean, it may be marketed as a "premium" type of automobile but I find that it feels less solid and poorly put together compared to the Suby that is 2 years older and has more than twice as many miles. But yes, the Subaru is still much more "raw", MUCH faster, and handles a ton better. I find it funny that my wagon is much more sporty than my sedan.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
2003 coupe went against the bmw 330i and either slightly beat/tied/or slightly lost. Depending on the mag.

So unless he thinks the BMW is also not a sports car.

Or he has a non-sport version of the sedan?
Yes, it's a non sport version of the sedan. But you are right, I also don't condier a low level (aka 3 series) BMW to be a sports car...not sounting the M3 of course but even that is still half-luxury as far as I am concerned. 3 series are "sporty" entry level luxury cars, much like the G is.

Originally Posted by PerpetualVisitor
the performance isn't really the only strong point though. I mean the G hold its own. it's not like a wrx or an evo where there is no compromising performance for things like luxury, a sexy interior, etc. Maybe it's not a dd for everybody, and maybe its not the weekend driver either. but it sure as hell is my date night car (actually my only car so it's everything for me).
Well said. I think the thing that is leaving me the most "blah" or "meh" about the G is that it doesn't really do much of anything very well. It's not well built enough (solid feeling, squeak/rattle free, etc) to really be a premium luxury car but it also isn't very fast nor does it handle particularly well in stock configuration. It IS a good all around car...but I've always like the extremes. Still not entirely convinced that this is the car for me, mostly because of that.

Originally Posted by formula91
I used to drive a 96 Maxima from 2000-2005. In 05 I decided, "Wow, the new 06 Civic coupe is nice and it will save me a lot of gas." After owning the Civic for a year, I got so bored with how weak it was compared to the Max. I had no emotional attachment to the car whatsoever.

Fast forward 4 years later... Last Wednesday I gave the Civic to my wife and traded in her car for an 03 G35. Boy did I miss Nissan V6 engines. It's been a loooong time since I've actually looked forward to getting into a car and driving it around. The emotional attachment is back.

Moral of the story, drive a slow POS for a while, then you'll be begging to get back in your G.
I know what you mean, I drove civics for many years since I have a 120 mile commute. I later moved on to an Infiniti I30. This car is still leagues ahead of both platforms and way better. I won't argue there. If I didn't think it was, I wouldn't have bought one. The way some of the guys on this forum talk though, you'd think the car was half Porsche and half Mercedes, which is absolutely is not.

Originally Posted by DaveB
Sounds like you've got a G sedan riding on the non-sport suspension and all season 17" tires. Post back when you add a set of wide 18" wheels, quality summer tires, z/coupe springs, and z shocks, and some sway bars. It's two entirely different cars. My G could NEVER be compared to riding on a cloud. My car rides very much like the E46 M3s I've riden in - a bit harsh. But damn, it handles. The cars I can hang with in the auto-x puts a smile on my face.

A sports cars it's not. It's a sports sedan. Once you spend about $1,500 in wheels, tires, and suspension (the stuff most 3 series come with), you unleash the beast.

100% correct. But, I already have a highly modified car. I bought this one to keep stock and be my daily driver....putting probably 30-40K on it a year. And with the crappy roads it sees, I wouldn't dare step up a wheel size. It may get some nice all season perofrmance tires but I won't go with dedicated summer tires as the car will see snow and I already have too many sets of wheels and tires in my garage for the other car. It's going to stay on 17's...when I want performance I'll take the Subaru as I could sink thousands into the G and it will never top that one, performance-wise. Plus I think that the G's look horrible dropped with "rims", etc. So f*cking ghetto.

I guess my point is this. Guys, it's not that I dislike the car...it just that it leaves me kind of "meh", that's all. But I guess "meh" can be a good thing when it's your daily driver. Keeps me out of trouble. I did take the car to work today, and aside from it feeling a little bit cheap when the roads get rough, it is a good car and I am moderately pleased with it. I just don't feel as attracted to it as I did before I owned one....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: i lost the love for this car...