G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

i lost the love for this car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car handles turns like an STI, i dont know where all this cloud stuff is coming from. People are always shocked when they get in my car, something that is very unexpected.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
every time that feeling hits me I get a new car.... Been through 5 cars the last two years yet I've kept the same husband.. Funny LOL

05 solara
05 325
05 350z
05 g35

now an 08 TT

Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly Kdub, I think this is the wrong outlet for talking about how much you think the G is just an average sedan... A subie is designed for rally racing, whereas more luxurious sedans like the G and better, are designed for a balance between speed, control, manuverability, comfort, options...etc.

The subie, and evo have cheap interiors (albeit might not squeak, but are very cheap otherwise), limited creature comfort options, and are designed to be slung through slaloms and take corners fast and accelerate/brake fast.. But much else is out of the question.

I think whatever expectations you had for the G were out of whack and thats why you are unhappy with it.. It flat out doesn't meet what you desire in a car.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by geew1z
Honestly Kdub, I think this is the wrong outlet for talking about how much you think the G is just an average sedan... A subie is designed for rally racing, whereas more luxurious sedans like the G and better, are designed for a balance between speed, control, manuverability, comfort, options...etc.

The subie, and evo have cheap interiors (albeit might not squeak, but are very cheap otherwise), limited creature comfort options, and are designed to be slung through slaloms and take corners fast and accelerate/brake fast.. But much else is out of the question.

I think whatever expectations you had for the G were out of whack and thats why you are unhappy with it.. It flat out doesn't meet what you desire in a car.

It is an average sedan though. In fact, it's a lot less than average if you put it against other sedans like the E550. Now compare it to other things in it's price range, and I think it comes out slightly above average. I am not trying to bag on the G35 by any means here. And I was also being overly harsh yesterday a I was having an extremely bad day, so I apologize for that.

You and I are basically saying the same thing. There is more "luxury" designed in there than "sport". It's not a sports car by any means.

But I see all these guys posting about it how "fast" it is and it being a "sports car" etc... and it's just not. I wanted to correct that. That's all. Tell me it's "fast" and if you can show me a time slip in the 11's, I'll believe you. Just because it might be one of the faster things that a certain person has ever driven doesn't make it "fast" in the overall grand scheme of things.

Case in point, I see a post about a G handling "as well as an STi" just above, which incidentally doesn't handle all that well stock...but still I can guarantee that without the DCCD center diff or completely reworking the VCD and AWD programming those claims are pure BS. It may feel as stiff as one, but try keeping up with one on the track and I'll bet you find that you are mistaken Even an STi is still not a "sports car", it's just a turbocharged econobox with AWD that has a great center diff and stiff suspension.

At any rate, I don't think my expectations were too high...though I did expect less creaks and rattles.

I think you are right that the G doesn't really meet what I desire in a car. Nothing in this price range truly would. But it does meet what I need. I spend 4 hours in the car every day and put 30-40K a year on a car. I can't see doing that to an $60-100K automobile. Now what I desire is a GT3 RS...but would that be as practical as the G on a daily basis or as good of a value and could I inexpensively put 100K on it in 3 years? No way.

They are great cars, a great value, and all around good drivers. But to state that they are "super premium luxury" or "fast" or "sports cars" is just a complete joke. Sounds to me like a lot of these comments come from 22 year old kids and this is their first car that isn't a 1995 accord.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 PM
So sell it and get a mercedes or whatever you consider a premier luxury vehicle that doesn't make a single sound as you seem to already have the performance aspect down and just want a commuter car. Dunno what else to tell you

Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
K Dub, whatever you're driving now was just a normal car also before you modded it yes?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
The G35 is a stepping stone car for me. It was what i could afford and what i liked. It was a sedan, it had some luxury and it had a little class to it. I'll have my Bentley/Mercedes S class some day. But im weird, and i like big luxury boats with lots of power. I don't do much sporting in this car. I just cruise around and enjoy it for what it is.

Btw, this is coming from a 19 year old.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kdub.. you hit on a lot of valid points.. and yeah, maybe a G isn't a true sports car, but what is in your mind? Something with an LS motor? Something with a TT on a V6 or opposed 4? Really I think the term "sports car" can be used in many different lights. For any mainstream sedan, this is an entry level sports sedan. And by mainstream, I mean compare it to the Ford/GM/chrysler offerings.. even the SHO, the GM SS stuff, 3 series...etc..
Does it handle like a vette, hell no. But for 38k, its a hell of a car.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:59 PM
I understand where the OP is coming from. However I disagree with his view. Back in 2006 I upgraded from a 2000 S10 4x4, to my 2004 g35x. I do miss the practicality of the S10 and the fact that I had space for junk, but I didn't care for the truck at all.
I commute 110 miles daily, so I spend a good amount of time in my car, I average 20.8 mpg. I like the fact that I can ride in reasonable comfort and style, I like the fact that I can actually pass someone and keep a constant speed going up a hill.

I have 169k miles on my car, and other than a few minor issues the car has been very solid.

Yes it does have some rattles/squeeks that drive me crazy, and I regret getting the 20in wheels. Its still much more pleasant than the other options I've looked at.

Last edited by Golanth; 04-28-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by K Dub
when I want performance I'll take the Subaru as I could sink thousands into the G and it will never top that one, performance-wise. Plus I think that the G's look horrible dropped with "rims", etc. So f*cking ghetto.
All it takes to get a G sedan to handle is a set of G/coupe springs (1" drop, $100-150), Z shocks ($100), some 18X8 rims, and some summer rubber. Add the near R-spec rubber that STi's and Evos come with and the G will handle even that much better. I'm not saying you can make a G handle like an STi or Evo, but you can make a G handle exceptionally well for a SPORTS SEDAN. You need to get it out of your head that we think this is a "sports car". It's an entry level sports sedan. Also, don't forget that ALL the underpinnings on this car are shared with the 350Z, a legit sports car. The only real differences are about 200lb more weight, a slightly higher center of gravity, and an 8" longer wheelbase.

As for a G looking horrible with a drop and rims, not all of us slam the car making it handle worse nor add 20" rims. Saying a G looks ghetto because it's lowered and sporting larger rims is like saying an STi ghetto because it's lowered and comes with larger rims than the WRX.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
^^ or its rice because of the giant wing

Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM
First off...I'm glad you guys are keeping this constructive and not just flaming the crap out of me here. I wasn't meaning to be abrasive so I'm glad I'm not getting much of that back. Here are my thoughts:

Originally Posted by Sceptor
So sell it and get a mercedes or whatever you consider a premier luxury vehicle that doesn't make a single sound as you seem to already have the performance aspect down and just want a commuter car. Dunno what else to tell you
Already covered that...I drive too much (and don't make quite enough money... yet) to take a $20-25K hit a year solely from depreciation as I put 40K on a brand new Mercedes, etc. The G is a good compromise for me. But it will always be just that, a compromise.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
K Dub, whatever you're driving now was just a normal car also before you modded it yes?
Yes, But it did already handle light years better than the G and was a bunch faster too. Simply put, it's also no "sports car" in the true sense of the word and will never be. But it was a much more capable platform from the start.

Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
The G35 is a stepping stone car for me. It was what i could afford and what i liked. It was a sedan, it had some luxury and it had a little class to it. I'll have my Bentley/Mercedes S class some day. But im weird, and i like big luxury boats with lots of power. I don't do much sporting in this car. I just cruise around and enjoy it for what it is.

Btw, this is coming from a 19 year old.
Very much the same for me. When I can throw away $20K a year in depreciation due to my drive, I'll move on up to something more serious.

BTW, you sound like a very mature 19 year old

Originally Posted by geew1z
Kdub.. you hit on a lot of valid points.. and yeah, maybe a G isn't a true sports car, but what is in your mind? Something with an LS motor? Something with a TT on a V6 or opposed 4? Really I think the term "sports car" can be used in many different lights. For any mainstream sedan, this is an entry level sports sedan. And by mainstream, I mean compare it to the Ford/GM/chrysler offerings.. even the SHO, the GM SS stuff, 3 series...etc..
Does it handle like a vette, hell no. But for 38k, its a hell of a car.
You're right. Not sure what I had in mind exactly. I just lurked on this forum reading about "taking on ramps agressively/spiritedly", "this car is so fast" etc. and thought it would handle enough to enjoy it in such a manner. After testing out some of the handling characterisitcs of the car, I don't see how pushing it would be pleasurable at all...unless REALLY modified. It leaves a lot to be desired in the performance category. Out of the box anyway. So I'll just use it as the semi-luxo cruiser that it feel like to me.

Originally Posted by DaveB
All it takes to get a G sedan to handle is a set of G/coupe springs (1" drop, $100-150), Z shocks ($100), some 18X8 rims, and some summer rubber. Add the near R-spec rubber that STi's and Evos come with and the G will handle even that much better. I'm not saying you can make a G handle like an STi or Evo, but you can make a G handle exceptionally well for a SPORTS SEDAN. You need to get it out of your head that we think this is a "sports car". It's an entry level sports sedan. Also, don't forget that ALL the underpinnings on this car are shared with the 350Z, a legit sports car. The only real differences are about 200lb more weight, a slightly higher center of gravity, and an 8" longer wheelbase.

As for a G looking horrible with a drop and rims, not all of us slam the car making it handle worse nor add 20" rims. Saying a G looks ghetto because it's lowered and sporting larger rims is like saying an STi ghetto because it's lowered and comes with larger rims than the WRX.
These things are so low from the factory that I won't make it out of my driveway in the summer (let alone the winter when we have snow) if I lower it any more. Never have I owned a car you couldn't even fit a jack under without ramps. Kind of rediculous to me that they are so low from the factory and still manage somehow to handle so poorly.

As far as what is in my head regarding this forum's use of the terms "fast" and "sports car", I'm only spitting back what I have read here over the last few weeks. I don't think that all of you guys think that, but it would seem that some do, and thsoe fwe think so to a rediculous extent at that.

Some good points here though. The "ghetto" issue just comes down to taste I guess. I really don't like these things lowered at all. 19" coupe rims or whatever is fine but anything aftermarket looks like a joke (to me).

The only thing I really have to take issue with here is that the 350Z is not even close to being a sports car. It is one slow dog. The 370 now? OK yeah now you're getting there. That's a lot closer.

Then again you have to realize my opinions are a little skewed. Growing up with a father who was a Porsche race instructor and having 35+ of them live in your household garage over the years might change one's perception of what "fast" is and what a "sports car" is compared to the average guy.

Originally Posted by Sceptor
^^ or its rice because of the giant wing
Rice from the factory is not really possible....it refers to tasteless modification but I get your point. Most STi owners that have a clue swap trunks and go wingless because it does look like boy racer kiddie crap.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by K Dub
These things are so low from the factory that I won't make it out of my driveway in the summer (let alone the winter when we have snow) if I lower it any more. Never have I owned a car you couldn't even fit a jack under without ramps. Kind of rediculous to me that they are so low from the factory and still manage somehow to handle so poorly.
Sounds like a driveway and jack problem rather than a ride height problem. My G is lowered 1" and I have no issues going up driveways or over speed bumps. Additionally, I have VERY standard car jacks (not race jacks) and I still have over an inch of clearance between the body and the jack when lifting. Now if you're talking about jacking the front from the middle support or from the rear diff, then you have to get a little more creative. That's simple though. All you need to have is at least two jacks. I have 3.

The only thing I really have to take issue with here is that the 350Z is not even close to being a sports car. It is one slow dog. The 370 now? OK yeah now you're getting there. That's a lot closer.
You're definition of sports car has definitely been skewed by your 911 background. Don't get me wrong here, I LOVE 911s. It's my dream car. A 911 4S would do me just fine for the rest of my life. However, a 350Z is most definitely a sports car and the automotive world strongly agrees. It's decently fast (mid 13s stock), slalom in the 70mph range, nearly 1 g of stick, two seats, short wheel base, decently light (3200-3300lbs), full independant suspension, and RWD. It's almost like you're blending super car and sports car into the same category. An S2000 is sports car. A Miata is a sports car. A Corvette is a sports car. A 911 is a sports car. Speed isn't the only factor here. There are different grades of sports cars in this world.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:51 PM
K Dub gonna have to agree to disagree with you on a multitude of points you made but im far too lazy at this point to quote and argue each one with you. I will say best of luck to you and enjoy the compromise because it could always be worse. If anything given your circumstance you sound like you need a weekend warrior and a real simple commuter car. Get a camry and a c5

Last edited by Sceptor; 04-28-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I see k dubs point of view and agree on some points.

To each his own. We all have our own tastes and standards

I never bought my car thinking it was a sports car. I wanted a nice cozy sedan to drive, but at the same time I wanted something fun to drive. I kinda think the g is more of an entry level sport luxury sedans though. A premium sedan to me would be an m56 or a gs450 or an e55.

I guess we all see our cars differently. I have no desire to really mod my car for performance because I already have a modded "toy" in the garage where I built the engine trans and entire car myself.

But I love my g. I enjoy driving it, but I really could see myself in an M56 or S8 in a few years

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 04-28-2010 at 10:39 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: i lost the love for this car...