G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Exhaust Confusion- I searched

Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no it is the opposite, it is when the bass is heard from the exhaust not, usually on the highway.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
so just vibrations basically?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 PM
not really, it that annoying constant low frequency sound that makes it loud inside the cabin...

back on track

Old 05-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have non-resonated test pipes (Strup), Nismo Y-pipe (larger diameter when reduced down to the single outlet), coupe middy with a custom resonator, and HKS axleback.

With this much flow... you don't get a lot of drone. At highway speeds I can barely even hear it honestly. Once you open it up though, it screams. My only complaint is the RASP from the test pipes. This could be greatly reduced with resonated test pipes and REAL gaskets between all the piping (which I dont have, I just have RTV)... but I honestly don't think the HKS sounds THAT raspy Most people that complain about drone from the HKS only have the midpipe and the muffler. That really only opens up the exhaust past the Y-pipe... which will create uneven flow in the exhaust... and an undesired resonance in the muffler. I'm actually selling off all of my exhaust parts to move on to something else if you want any of my used parts

Old 05-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by BacaraG35
I call dibs on the gen2. PM me when you list it. Got any good video clips of the gen2?? Sorry, back on track. I personally wanted Borla, but it doesn't fit the X.

I PMed you and a couple other people. (must be in demand, got a few offers) I just took it off last night. The stock doesn't have the low end torque that the gen2 does. Going from stock to gen2, its hard to tell because its new and louder and it is like a butt dyno.. but going back to stock after getting used to it is more profound. I hope I don't regret going stock. The gen2 is definitely not 'too loud' by any means and I never noticed it drone at all. It grumbles very nicely, much better now that it's broken in.

I need to clean it up a bit and make sure its in great shape and easy to re-install, but ya.. I think I am selling it now. Not sure what it's worth though, paid $1k for it from Stillen. The pictures above are when I installed i, so its not that shiney anymore, but still shines up. (ill shine it up before I sell it.) It has no major rust at all, all the bolts came off without issue (no stripped ones). My car is lowered, but the exhaust has never been scraped or dented on the road. Enough with the sales pitch though.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I did answer your question but I'll phrase it in a different way. Both 1 and 2 as listed are full catback systems. Hope this clears things up.
Translation: No. I mean...yes.

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I'm too old
It's true, he is. (okay, we're the same age)

But enough busting Blue's *****.

I have run the Stillen Gen2 and also found it drones too much, particularly on an AT car -- drone is that low-frequency harmonic that sets up in the car's cabin and annoys the bejeesus out of you. I sold it, put my stock 03 muffler back on and added a 350z (same as coupe except for length) mid-pipe and got a pretty nice result. Very little drone, but a nice howl at WOT.

Then I found an irresistible deal on a BNIB HKS axle-back and bolted that on. Now I have some drone back, but not as bad as the Stillen; it's tolerable but I want to do more experimentation.

Currently looking for an HR-Ypipe to add, then swap out the Z middy for an 05/06 sedan middy to (hopefully) kill the drone but keep some of the great sound. I can't see me parting with the HKS now, it's too purty, so I will tweak the rest of the exhaust to my liking!

Incidentally, I think donpisto has the 05 mid/HKS combo on his sedan, and a sound clip of it somewhere for the curious.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm parting out everything I've got! I've got the HKS now, with a coupe middy with another resonator added, and Nismo Y you should buy it so I can buy this guys stillen! I'll give ya a deal!

Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Translation: No. I mean...yes.

It's true, he is. (okay, we're the same age)

But enough busting Blue's *****.

I have run the Stillen Gen2 and also found it drones too much, particularly on an AT car -- drone is that low-frequency harmonic that sets up in the car's cabin and annoys the bejeesus out of you. I sold it, put my stock 03 muffler back on and added a 350z (same as coupe except for length) mid-pipe and got a pretty nice result. Very little drone, but a nice howl at WOT.

Then I found an irresistible deal on a BNIB HKS axle-back and bolted that on. Now I have some drone back, but not as bad as the Stillen; it's tolerable but I want to do more experimentation.

Currently looking for an HR-Ypipe to add, then swap out the Z middy for an 05/06 sedan middy to (hopefully) kill the drone but keep some of the great sound. I can't see me parting with the HKS now, it's too purty, so I will tweak the rest of the exhaust to my liking!

Incidentally, I think donpisto has the 05 mid/HKS combo on his sedan, and a sound clip of it somewhere for the curious.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:03 PM
what is the difference between the 05/06 sedan Middy and the Coupe Middy??

the 350z Middy requires some extra work to get it to bolt on... I here...

Old 05-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by TehG35
I'm parting out everything I've got! I've got the HKS now, with a coupe middy with another resonator added, and Nismo Y you should buy it so I can buy this guys stillen! I'll give ya a deal!
I already have most of that. But all those pieces should be easy to flog.

Top: 05 sedan, bottom: coupe.

Yes, I haz madd Google skillz

Old 05-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Drone video. Not a G but you'll get the idea:

Here's one with a G, really shows up at about 15 seconds:

Old 05-05-2010, 05:27 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
just put a straight pipe in the middle and call it a day lol

Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
i have a 350z middy, all you need it the extension and to remove a bracket that seems to only block the driveshaft from getting hit.. and a aftermarket ypipe

Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I just got the borla!

Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by StormTroopa
i have a 350z middy, all you need it the extension and to remove a bracket that seems to only block the driveshaft from getting hit.. and a aftermarket ypipe
I didn't do/don't have either of those things.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
im looking for a video with the E cut outs on the midpipe .. i found them in the exhaust section but the video doesn't work

does anyone have a video

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Confusion- I searched