G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

PSA: Powersteering Fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I don't really agree. Hydraulic fluid doesn't "wear out", especially when it's not under any major pressure or heat. It's not like motor oil. Many manufactuers specifically note that powersteering fluid doesn't need to be replaced unless there's a problem that allows the fluid to become contaminated.
The only way to really tell is to use a fish scale to check the turning resistance before and after fluid service. I could swear steering feel improvement after performing these services, essentially on neglected systems, however, this could be a "seat of the pants" result.

My understanding is that that fluid can become contaminated (and it does) and the viscosity will change, thus making it more difficult for that fluid to be pumped by the PS pump. That said, the metal contaminants in the fluid will bombard the PS system seals and eventually those teflon seals will leak. Keeping the fluid fresh will help the system last longer and stay leak free for a longer period of time.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
one quart is good for 3 full exchanges, There is a tad too little for 4th.
Thanks for your write-up. I only have 37k on my 05. I guess I'll grab a turkey baster and do it too. One quart is good for 3 full exchanges??? The PS bottle is not small. You were able to suck every drop out of it?

So just making sure I am doing it right. Car is cold MAX (at PS cold level). Suck all I can with the turkey baster and then fill the PS fluid back to the same cold level MAX. Then repeat it again next time after the new PS fluid mixes with the old? How much more fluid does the P/S system hold aside from the reservior?

Does using turkey baster create air pockets? That probably wouldn't be good to suck out brake fluids right? But P/S fluids are ok?

Old 06-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
You are just sucking out the reservoir its not that big and yes I sucked it all out, I believe the whole system holds 1.5 quarts.

Yea, just fill it back up to max cold level and then just repeat a day after driving or what not. The Reservoir has a Air pocket already, its just a tank that holds extra fluid for the system.

Make sure to look at the opening for reservoir, its hard to find a turkey baster that fits lol.

Last edited by thescreensavers; 06-29-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
You are just sucking out the reservoir its not that big and yes I sucked it all out, I believe the whole system holds 1.5 quarts.

Yea, just fill it back up to max cold level and then just repeat a day after driving or what not. The Reservoir has a Air pocket already, its just a tank that holds extra fluid for the system.

Make sure to look at the opening for reservoir, its hard to find a turkey baster that fits lol.
Gotcha. Thanks!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
just disconnect the PS bottle and drain it that way... a lot faster but messier. No need to get a baster or waste time. Just gather up like 3-5 rags/towels.

You guys are putting too much though into this process, its a removable container held on by 2 hose clamps and maybe a small bracket or a 10mm bolt holding the bracket.

I completely forgot about this when i did my oil change so many next one. I have like way too many bottles of matic D and J in the garage left over.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
just disconnect the PS bottle and drain it that way... a lot faster but messier. No need to get a baster or waste time. Just gather up like 3-5 rags/towels.

You guys are putting too much though into this process, its a removable container held on by 2 hose clamps and maybe a small bracket or a 10mm bolt holding the bracket.

I completely forgot about this when i did my oil change so many next one. I have like way too many bottles of matic D and J in the garage left over.
I've done my own fluid changes (anti freeze, oil, transmission, differential, transfer, etc) so I am pretty sure the P/S is doable for me. But if I don't have to crawl down and make a mess and 5 to 10 mins of sucking using baster with clean hands, I actually don't think it's that bad.

I saw bythabay's video. He had a tough time unplugging the hose and needed two people to do it. Not sure if that extra step was only needed because he was adding on a P/S filter.

Was it easy for you to take out the P/S bottle? Isn't that only the reservior and there are more fluid elsewhere?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
All the other fluid is in the lines and pump and rack. It's the only reseviour.

Just siphon it out and refill and drive for day..they repeat a few more times.

I'd say after the third drain/fill it start to look clear. A 1 quart bottle gives you enough for 4. You might be a little short on the 4th so I just saved a little from the third drain and topped it off. If you didn't do the 4th drain/fill it would be in there anyway so in don't see the harm unless you want to spend another few bucks for more fluid.

True the manufacturer doesn't spec a replace interval...but what is their spec on brake fluid replacement? And how many people do this? I would be the majority of 10 year old cars and newer are still riding on original fills when it should be done every 1-2 years

Old 06-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
All the other fluid is in the lines and pump and rack. It's the only reseviour.

Just siphon it out and refill and drive for day..they repeat a few more times.

I'd say after the third drain/fill it start to look clear. A 1 quart bottle gives you enough for 4. You might be a little short on the 4th so I just saved a little from the third drain and topped it off. If you didn't do the 4th drain/fill it would be in there anyway so in don't see the harm unless you want to spend another few bucks for more fluid.

True the manufacturer doesn't spec a replace interval...but what is their spec on brake fluid replacement? And how many people do this? I would be the majority of 10 year old cars and newer are still riding on original fills when it should be done every 1-2 years
My 05x is at 37k miles (original brake fluids). You have to replace it that often? I have a beater car 01 used Sentra. Has 100k miles and I think it's still on the original brake fluids. It's pretty dark. I've seen those one man brake bleeder kit. Does it work? I've never bleed brakes before.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
X
I saw this post a few days ago and said why not...

The past three days after work i pump out the fluid in the reservoir and replace with new fluid... Easy enough... ten minutes at most.

I wouldnt say i notice a difference in the way the steering wheel feels but i definitely if it will extend the life of the PS pump, then its worth it to me.

The first drain the fluids were quite dark and by the third time the fluids coming out are much lighter.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
My 05x is at 37k miles (original brake fluids). You have to replace it that often? I have a beater car 01 used Sentra. Has 100k miles and I think it's still on the original brake fluids. It's pretty dark. I've seen those one man brake bleeder kit. Does it work? I've never bleed brakes before.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture...so it tends to get spongy over time. It's worse if you live in humid climates. 1-2 years is a good schedule to beed brakes. If your fluid is dark...it needs to be bled. Brake fluid should look clear with slight yellow tint.

I prefer two people method. One person to just pump brakes and me on the bleeder opening and closing. Hardest part is taking the wheels off and getting the car on stands. After that, I can do the job in 10 mins making two trips around. The brakes always feel much firmer afterward. I do it yearly.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Brake fluid absorbs moisture...so it tends to get spongy over time. It's worse if you live in humid climates. 1-2 years is a good schedule to beed brakes. If your fluid is dark...it needs to be bled. Brake fluid should look clear with slight yellow tint.

I prefer two people method. One person to just pump brakes and me on the bleeder opening and closing. Hardest part is taking the wheels off and getting the car on stands. After that, I can do the job in 10 mins making two trips around. The brakes always feel much firmer afterward. I do it yearly.
The problem is I don't have a helper. Wife will not have the patience to stand there. Have you ever done it using the 1 man bleed job? I think the shops outside charge around $100 bucks to bleed the brakes or something like that.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You want speed bleeders. Easy 1-man operation.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thatsmyG35
Im about to do this right now.
Did this work out for you? My car is having the same problem. Under 1000 RPM's like backing out of the drive way or parking spot my car is horrible at turning. I can barely move it. It was fine at first now its plain annoying.

I have 97,000 miles on my car and my dealership "drains and fills" all my fluids during any oil change. I'm leaning towards with this many miles i might just need a new power steering pump. Any other ideas people?

Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to clarify this procedure.

When car is cold.
1. Use turkey baster to suck out all power steering fluid.
2. Fill back up to Cold Min, Cold Max, Hot Min or Hot Max?

When car is hot.
1. Suction Fluid
2. Fill to Cold Min, Cold Max, Hot Min or Hot Max?

Old 10-30-2010, 08:36 PM
I fill to cold max, and then top off the next day. Just check a few times and make sure you are in range depending on hot or cold.

What I did on mine was bought two quarts of mobil 1 aft for my transfer case. It took 1 quart plus a tiny bit more. I had maybe 90% of the bottle left, so that was enough for three drain/fills of the power steering fluid. Killed two birds with one stone there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSA: Powersteering Fluid