G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those are two very good points DVG. Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by TORETTO
Personally I would just wire some christmas lights for your turn signal.
Hahaha this reminds me of a friend from high school who wired in Christmas lights inside his '92 Chevy conversion van and never took them off. I think he still rides with them to this day.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DVG
The tendency of rotating mass is to keep on rotating. Without forces like friction and wind resistance acting on it, it would roll forever. Just as the tendency of a body in motion is to remain in motion.

Inertia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
True in theory but in automotive reality not so much, both friction and aerodynamics are real.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone know if the front lip is different from coupe to sedan? i think the bumpers are different but the guy said they are the same lips for both. id hate to buy it and not fit. thanks

Old 07-03-2013, 03:12 PM
DVG
Received 143 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Peoria35sedan
True in theory but in automotive reality not so much, both friction and aerodynamics are real.
Yes but as long as tire diameter remains constant, those wont really change based on the wheel diameter.

I agree with you that a larger inertia will reduce fuel economy. It does take a bit more energy to get it moving, and then that energy is wasted when you hit your brakes. But once at speed, it shouldnt make much difference at any. So it would be different for someone with mostly highway driving vs. city

Additionally, I dont think that it makes enough of a difference to affect wheel diameter selection. Maybe if you are a hyper miler. Going for a lower tire width or lower rolling resistance would be much more effective methinks.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:14 PM
DVG
Originally Posted by g35slug
anyone know if the front lip is different from coupe to sedan? i think the bumpers are different but the guy said they are the same lips for both. id hate to buy it and not fit. thanks
What kind of lip? Maybe if it only goes under the bumper, and not around the sides of it. Show pic.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:15 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
I'm almost certain they are different.

PM one of the body kit vendors, they should be able to tell you for sure.

The following users liked this post:
g35slug (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by DVG
Wheel diameter will have none to little effect when rolling. It will have a larger effect when accelerating.
That means it will kill the mpg of the car the larger wheels are going on. MPG while rolling is always going to be high since it takes very little power to keep something moving at a constant speed and less power to accelerate something that is already moving than it does to start moving something that is standing still.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by DVG
Yes but as long as tire diameter remains constant, those wont really change based on the wheel diameter.

I agree with you that a larger inertia will reduce fuel economy. It does take a bit more energy to get it moving, and then that energy is wasted when you hit your brakes. But once at speed, it shouldnt make much difference at any. So it would be different for someone with mostly highway driving vs. city

Additionally, I dont think that it makes enough of a difference to affect wheel diameter selection. Maybe if you are a hyper miler. Going for a lower tire width or lower rolling resistance would be much more effective methinks.
Accelerating from a stop is what kills your average MPG, that is why you will always get more MPG if you drive freeways more. Accelerating from a roll or maintaining a constant speed doesn't matter as much. Adding heavier wheels means you need to put down more power to get your car moving, which really kills MPG.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:03 PM
DVG
Originally Posted by dofu
Accelerating from a stop is what kills your average MPG, that is why you will always get more MPG if you drive freeways more. Accelerating from a roll or maintaining a constant speed doesn't matter as much. Adding heavier wheels means you need to put down more power to get your car moving, which really kills MPG.
It will hurt the MPG, but so does driving a car as heavy as ours in the first place, getting 18s vs 20s wont cause massive changes in mpg. Dont forget you also have to accelerate our fat 3400 lb chassis+driving weight + driveshaft rotation + brake rotation + tire rotation + driver weight. The wheel diameter wont make or break your mpg. Small changes, sure, but if you really want good mpg, you have the wrong car.

I understand why highway mpg is better than city mpg lol, I already said that. Everything is rolling, the car has momentum, all thats required is to keep it rolling.

Anyways I fully agree that it will affect city mpg, not very much though.

Shouldnt affect highway mpg

Last edited by DVG; 07-03-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
I'm almost certain they are different.

PM one of the body kit vendors, they should be able to tell you for sure.
they are different, thanks though

Old 07-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by yoyoyo8
Lowering my 05 sedan with 350z revised suspension I will need a set of SPC rear toe bolt?
Just out of curiousity since I will be lowering my sedan in the near future; how much lower does the car get using the 350z suspension?

Originally Posted by Airic214
your right but i just loved the look of the tl at the time more aggressive compared to the g35 front where it was all round (headlights) lol
Yea I love the way the TL looks especially that gen, I hate the way the new gen looks with that big@$$ power ranger looking shield on the front. Everything about the '04 TL I liked, from headlights, tail lights, exhaust tips, interior. What killed it for me was the FWD, if only it came in SH-AWD like the newer gen. Besides the round headlights of the G35 grew on me and now I kinda like them.

Originally Posted by DVG
The lower housing has both fog light and high beam functionality. On equipped vehicles, drl is the high beams at half power. No fancy electronics there
Wow finally a response, I'm surprised you even found my comment since it's so far back haha. Anyway good to know, so that means I can put HID's in there and have them at full power when I apply the highbeams as long as I have my fogs on at all times? (Don't worry I'll be modifying the shield to prevent glare when the fogs are on).

I'd be surprised if they were the same since the coupe is wider than the sedan by 2.5 inches.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 PM
DVG
Originally Posted by G_DiRTY5
Wow finally a response, I'm surprised you even found my comment since it's so far back haha. Anyway good to know, so that means I can put HID's in there and have them at full power when I apply the highbeams as long as I have my fogs on at all times? (Don't worry I'll be modifying the shield to prevent glare when the fogs are on).
I am pretty confused by your post -

1. " Anyway good to know, so that means I can put HID's in there" - in where?
2. "and have them at full power " - What do you mean? Nobody runs HIDs at half power
3. "when I apply the highbeams as long as I have my fogs on at all times" - a. design dictates that fogs automatically turn off when high beams are turned on (fogs hurt distance vision)
- b. Why would you have your fogs on at all times.
4. "(Don't worry I'll be modifying the shield to prevent glare when the fogs are on)." - Im not sure which shield you are referring to, we have reflectors not projectors.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how much should 05-06 trunk lights be? somebody selling them to me for $150 is this a good deal?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:55 PM
DVG
Originally Posted by Airic214
how much should 05-06 trunk lights be? somebody selling them to me for $150 is this a good deal?
The reverse lights you mean? If so, way overpriced IMHO

Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVG
The reverse lights you mean? If so, way overpriced IMHO
yes, how much do you think they should be priced?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Random Little Question Thread