G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:33 PM
DVG
Received 143 Likes on 117 Posts
pretty sure thats just a 168 bulb, simply pull it out lol

Old 07-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
I believe it's a 194. That wouldn't make any difference on how to remove it, right?

Old 07-05-2013, 04:45 PM
DVG
Originally Posted by dominate
I believe it's a 194. That wouldn't make any difference on how to remove it, right?
I consider 194 to be the same as 168. They have the same base at least. No, it will be exactly the same to remove. FYI, 921 and T10 also has the same base.

The following users liked this post:
dominate (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Oh ok cool, thanks for the help, I'll try remove it tonight

Old 07-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol. Original owner of the 07 coupe I bought on Tuesday had installed a Wolf Tech Pop-Charge Air filter that, although is carb legal, caused me to fail two smog tests (visual portion). FML. Hoping he has the OEM air filter/air box now.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
Lets clear up one thing here: The G uses H4 hi/low bulbs for the fog lights, and these are bulbs that can only do low or high - that is the only reason why the G has either fog light or high beam and never both. Since fog lights, driving lights, and high beams all focus light on different areas, having them all on at the same time will not hinder lighting performance of either high beam, low beam, or fog light as long as they are running on separate bulbs.
Originally Posted by DVG
Maybe H4s are only capable of one filament running at a time, but if you look at any car with OEM fog lights you will notice that they turn off whenever you put the high beams.

Fog lights does hurt distance vision. They are mostly foreground light (being that they are fog lights and all) and increased foreground light makes your pupils dilate, which causes them to be less sensitive to light. Meaning you wont be able to see as far.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...t-a-good-thing

So my understanding from this is our foglight / highbeam is 1 bulb that just moves up and down aiming the light beam high for high beams or low for fog lights. Correct?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by DVG
Maybe H4s are only capable of one filament running at a time, but if you look at any car with OEM fog lights you will notice that they turn off whenever you put the high beams.

Fog lights does hurt distance vision. They are mostly foreground light (being that they are fog lights and all) and increased foreground light makes your pupils dilate, which causes them to be less sensitive to light. Meaning you wont be able to see as far.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...t-a-good-thing
My MDX doesn't turn off the fogs to turn on the high beams. A lot of cars I have owned or driven never turned off any lights for high beams.

I can agree with the pupils dilating thing but it really isn't that big of a deal. IMHO, how 5000k+ bulbs will tire out your eyes much more since your eyes need to work more to see would be a more important topic to talk about. In most cases, you won't need to see far to utilize your high beams, and in the cases that you are on an open road in the middle of the night, you should be able to see what you need to see just fine even at 100+ mph, and being able to see further isn't going to help since even your high beams can only properly illuminate a limited distance.

I like being able to see what I am about to encounter, thank you.

Last edited by dofu; 07-05-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by G_DiRTY5
So my understanding from this is our foglight / highbeam is 1 bulb that just moves up and down aiming the light beam high for high beams or low for fog lights. Correct?
Pretty much, yes. The H4 bulb has two filaments, and only one can be on at a time. You won't see it used as fog/high too often though. Some cars have bixenon projectors, which is similar only it would never turn off and a shield would move to change the angle the light is aimed, and this light would usually be low/high combo, not fog/high.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by dominate
I have removed the bulb socket from the lamp, I'm at the part where I'm trying to remove the bulb from the socket (sorry I didn't use proper terminology in my initial post).

In this picture, I'm trying to remove the bulb from part #4.

You gotta twist it (I think counterclockwise but it could be clockwise), almost like a medicine bottle's lid only you don't have to push down on it.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Pretty much, yes. The H4 bulb has two filaments, and only one can be on at a time. You won't see it used as fog/high too often though. Some cars have bixenon projectors, which is similar only it would never turn off and a shield would move to change the angle the light is aimed, and this light would usually be low/high combo, not fog/high.
Thank you. I always learn something new on here.

I found this picture:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&sa=...r:22,s:0,i:150

I'm sure that last bulb will give the bi-xennon effect.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewtastic
Lol. Original owner of the 07 coupe I bought on Tuesday had installed a Wolf Tech Pop-Charge Air filter that, although is carb legal, caused me to fail two smog tests (visual portion). FML. Hoping he has the OEM air filter/air box now.
I don't see how it failed visual with the carb sticker, unless it's missing. Also, I don't know about your smog tech, but when I take my car to the smog station, I pop my hood beforehand and ask them if they can see anything that they might fail visually prior to actually starting the smog test. They're usually nice enough to point stuff out that they're unsure of so you can take care of it before wasting money on a failed visual test.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:46 AM
DVG
My MDX doesn't turn off the fogs to turn on the high beams. A lot of cars I have owned or driven never turned off any lights for high beams.

I can agree with the pupils dilating thing but it really isn't that big of a deal. IMHO, how 5000k+ bulbs will tire out your eyes much more since your eyes need to work more to see would be a more important topic to talk about. In most cases, you won't need to see far to utilize your high beams, and in the cases that you are on an open road in the middle of the night, you should be able to see what you need to see just fine even at 100+ mph, and being able to see further isn't going to help since even your high beams can only properly illuminate a limited distance.

I like being able to see what I am about to encounter, thank you.
Hmm, I thought it was standard, it's like that on my Mazda and I often see cars fogs turn off when the flash me at night. Obviously everyone will have their own preferences, personally I find the mini d2s straining enough on my eyes without the extra foreground from fogs, I only use my fogs when I'm on well lit roads (for looks) or when there is actually fog and I can't see

Old 07-06-2013, 12:48 AM
DVG
Thank you. I always learn something new on here.

I found this picture:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&sa=...r:22,s:0,i:150

I'm sure that last bulb will give the bi-xennon effect.
Don't expect great things from it IMO

Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by DVG
Don't expect great things from it IMO
Yea it'll be mostly for looks but me and my buddy are going camping with the G35's in a few weeks and the extra light would really help since it will be pitch dark where were going.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:38 PM
DVG
Yea it'll be mostly for looks but me and my buddy are going camping with the G35's in a few weeks and the extra light would really help since it will be pitch dark where were going.
When was the last time the HID bulbs were changed? they lose output over time. If they are still the same bulbs that originally came with the car, you would see a large improvement in output. Especially if you went with a good bulb, like CBIs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Random Little Question Thread