G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Squishy Clutch Pedal + Slow Throttle Response = PITA!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Arrow Squishy Clutch Pedal + Slow Throttle Response = PITA!!!!

Hey guys

I'm sure my 6MT people know of this issue all to well. When the car gets hot on a hot day, the clutch pedal gets squishy and the point of clutch engagement goes from high(pedal 80% released) to very low(pedal 20% released). It wouldnt be that bad if my throttle response wasnt so slow; I push in the clutch, go to give her some gas as I start releasing the clutch and I either lurch or rev way to high. When I push the gas I need an instantaneous response- not a half second later response. Combined, the two issues make for a thin line between stalling out and burning your clutch

What steps, if any, have you guys taken to improve throttle response and/or fix the squishy pedal problem? I've been told by a member that the braided steel clutch line didnt help. Also I do flush the clutch fluid reservoir about once a month with DOT4 brake fluid(DOT3 is recommended). Any suggestions????

Old 09-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
HR Y-pipe improves throttle response on my 2003.5 6MT sedan. The launch is much smoother now. I also upgraded to 06 sedan mid pipe at the same time, but I believe the improvement is mostly from the HR Y-pipe. If you're keeping stock exhaust, HR Y-pipe would be a good option. Easier than changing out the flywheel/clutch combo IMO.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The engagagement point goes from 80% to 20% ?! Doesn't sound normal to me

Old 09-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Interesting I thought I was the only one that had this problem. It's only happened to me a handful of times. Not sure what the resolution is but I find this interesting.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by 626Gthirtyfive
The engagagement point goes from 80% to 20% ?! Doesn't sound normal to me
I meant usually for me, the clutch engages once the clutch pedal is 80% off the floor. And yes that is pretty high! My old Honda's clutch used to engage when the pedal was about 30% off of the floor. I suppose its fine either way, but it sucks that it changes from high to low when it wants to, lol!

Old 09-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 06 6MT coupe, I have a this issue, I also have the HR Y-Pipe using with my stock exhaust. While the HR-Y pipe does improve throttle response, I wouldn't say it helps this issue.

I have also done the clutch pedal spacing mod (reduces the 'dead space' and so my clutch pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor)

I have the problem where sometimes it feels like the clutch engages in different spots, and its very hard to consistently smoothly shift because of this.

From what it feels like to me, my stock clutch has two engagement points, the first one is pretty much immediately after I start to let up on the clutch pedal (note I did the clutch spacer mod) and then a second, we'll call it 'fully engaged' point right at the end of the clutch pedal, like 90%

I believe this is what the OP is experiencing, not that the clutch engages at different places, there are 2 points, and depending on your RPM, idle, car movement, etc, sometimes you hit 1 smoothly and the other jerks the car, and vice-versa.

Again this may not be the case, but this is what it feels like to me... the clutch and notchy tranny are my biggest issues with this car

Old 09-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Valgar
I have an 06 6MT coupe, I have a this issue, I also have the HR Y-Pipe using with my stock exhaust. While the HR-Y pipe does improve throttle response, I wouldn't say it helps this issue.

I have also done the clutch pedal spacing mod (reduces the 'dead space' and so my clutch pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor)

I have the problem where sometimes it feels like the clutch engages in different spots, and its very hard to consistently smoothly shift because of this.

From what it feels like to me, my stock clutch has two engagement points, the first one is pretty much immediately after I start to let up on the clutch pedal (note I did the clutch spacer mod) and then a second, we'll call it 'fully engaged' point right at the end of the clutch pedal, like 90%

I believe this is what the OP is experiencing, not that the clutch engages at different places, there are 2 points, and depending on your RPM, idle, car movement, etc, sometimes you hit 1 smoothly and the other jerks the car, and vice-versa.

Again this may not be the case, but this is what it feels like to me... the clutch and notchy tranny are my biggest issues with this car
Well said, mate!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone's pedal also stick with this problem? I get that too, especially when you've been using the clutch a lot, like a parking lot etc. I've checked the fluid level when this happens and it's always full, plus it hasn't gotten any worse, so it seems like just another G35 quirk.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The vague clutch feel is disappointing on a car I bought specifically to enjoy shifting my own gears. I had the "clutch pedal sticks when hot issue" a few weeks ago, but not since I completely flushed the clutch fluid. I wouldn't recommend changing the fluid any way other than a complete flush. There is no way the new fluid will get to the other end of the clutch line or the dirty fluid at the end will go up to the reservoir.

DOT3 and DOT4 are interchangeable since they have the same chemical properties. DOT4 just meets higher specs. I'm now a fan of ATE Super Blue fluid. It's nice to know exactly when the old fluid is out of the system.

I don't have any issues with throttle response, though the ECU really does pull the power on hot days. The Motordyne iso-thermal with coolant control valve seems to help. Also, I still run the stock air box (with Z-tube), which could help.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Yep I get the sticky clutch, usually happens if I accidentally over-rev when starting off in first, clutch gets hot from wear and sticks.

It pretty much only happens to me if I over-rev, so its not a big issue.

Do you guys have trouble getting into 2nd gear? all the other gears are fine, but trying to go from 1st to 2nd, 2nd gear is very hard to put in gear.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreenPenguin
When I push the gas I need an instantaneous response- not a half second later response.
I know this doesn't help your situation much, but welcome to drive-by-wire electronic throttle control.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This happened to me today.. It was real annoying as I kept stalling because of the weird engagement point.. Clutch was acting up today, throttle response has gotten pretty slow too. Anyone have a fix for this?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:06 AM
This indicates that the slave or master is on the way out or the seals are getting bypassed. 1step would be to bleed the clutch system and then replace the slave.

I have also had the pedal stick but it was after the engagement point which means the pedal assembly needs to be lubed.