G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Just ordered 2.5 gallons of Amsoil ATF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered 2.5 gallons of Amsoil ATF

60000 miles on my 2004 sedan, going to flush all the fluids. Matic S is 18 bucks a quart here in Maui and I won't support that kind of markup on principle alone. I have done some research and searched a bit only to conclude that there is really no definative conclusion regarding the great Amsoil vs S Matic debate. So, as my first contribution I will document my results after replacement amsoil ATF.

60000 on the car, 5000 are mine. Tranny runs great to date, maybe a slight jerk when shifting into 3rd but I think it has more to do with gassing it between gears. Not sure about the cars history, seems well maintained.

Going to perform the flush procedure documented in the diy video. Also going to add the inline filter. Plan on flushing through about 5 quarts.

If anyone has had experience with amsoil ATF, good or bad, please chime in. Any questions our requests, ask away.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:33 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
IMO, you're walking on egg shells. When you the pop the hood and it specifically calls out and warns you to use a particular brand of ATF, you'd best heed the warning. They didn't spend the money to put the sticker under the hood for marketing purposes. It's not a recommendation. Nissan is VERY specific about using S/J-matic in their JATCO 5AT RE5R05A technical papers regarding the use of the fluid and the additives it uses. Nissan doesn't note any other fluid brand requirements except for the usage of J/S matic. If they think it's important, so should you. It's not worth the risk of damaging the $3,499 tranny.

Per the FSM:

Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine Nissan Matic J ATF will cause deterioration
in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission,
which is not covered by the warranty.
I've got three technical papers from Gears Magazine, an automotive transmission repair trade publication, they take the time to note required usage of J-matic (now S) in the JATCO 5ATs. They even point out if the customers 5AT is behaving erratically, verify the ATF is J-matic.

As for the inline filter, it's overkill and not needed.

Last edited by DaveB; 11-02-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Already have the filter so I'm going to install it. Are you aware of anyone on the forums that has had a negative first hand experience with amsoil atf?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by MauiDave
Are you aware of anyone on the forums that has had a negative first hand experience with amsoil atf?
Not that I've read. I know others have had issues with other non-Nissan brands including Royal Purple. If the tranny doesn't drive right after putting in the fluid, make sure to swap out because it's not going to correct itself. Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Since I have the fluid I think I will try it and monitor closely. Won't hesitate to swap back if I need to and I would think amsoil would refund the cost. If it was any other brand then amsoil I would be hesitant to try, but I have had excellent experiences with them in the past.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
i have non matic D in my T-case but matic D is very known to be just dextron.

I dont think anything will happen, i know of 3 shops around here that are vendors of amsoil and they do flushes on G35/350z and a whole bunch of others cars and never had an issue. Least thats what they tell me but then again this is a performance shop so not many are AUTO's and the one that are AUTO are the DSG-like ones.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
In for results as well, I've been curious to do this myself.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I used to run amsoil in mine, and there are other 5AT cars in Vegas that have been running it for over a year with no issues. You won't have a problem.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I highly doubt you will have any issues

Old 11-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB

As for the inline filter, it's overkill and not needed.
How do you figure that? I am sure you know all our trannys have is a Screen.

I was looking into the Magnefine filter (it has a media and magnets at the end) its about 25 bucks. I know Bythabay installed one on his.

But could you explain what its not needed?

Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I don't agree on overkill, but if you do not service it regularly you risk starving the trans if it gets gunked up. If the op adds it he should change it every 20-30k to prevent it from becoming clogged and starving the trans.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
How do you figure that? I am sure you know all our trannys have is a Screen.

I was looking into the Magnefine filter (it has a media and magnets at the end) its about 25 bucks. I know Bythabay installed one on his.

But could you explain what its not needed?
The OEM screen and pan magnet are capable of capturing and filtering particles that can cause damage to the transmission. As it's been explained to me, internal friction tolerances on an automatic transmission aren't remotely as tight as those inside an engine therefore filtering out ultra tiny micron particles is overkill. This is a late model transmission with higher tech and better wearing parts. This isn't a TH350 from your grandpa's 78 Silverado. If Nissan thought it was necessary to add a serviceable filter, they would have, IMO.

I'll never buy into the conspiracy theory that automakers design cars for 100K and that's it. It doesn't make business sense. Long term dependability is what keeps owners coming back. Companies like Audi, VW, Benz, etc. have gotten really bad names because their long term dependability is so horrendous now.

Heat is typically what kills automatic transmissions. This comes from either not changing the fluid enough, driving it really hard, or sending more power through it than it was designed for. For most us, it's the power additions that end up killing these automatics.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Just curious, why do some of you choose to go with aftermarket fluids when Nissan is so adamant about using their ATF and for good reason? Is it cost? Nissan wouldn't go to such lengths such as issuing technical service bullentins specifically noting that S or J-matic must be used in these cars.

http://www.the370z.com/images/servic...NTB08-049b.pdf

Old 11-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Mr.202?

The OEM screen and pan magnet are capable of capturing and filtering particles that can cause damage to the transmission. As it's been explained to me, internal friction tolerances on an automatic transmission aren't remotely as tight as those inside an engine therefore filtering out ultra tiny micron particles is overkill. This is a late model transmission with higher tech and better wearing parts. This isn't a TH350 from your grandpa's 78 Silverado. If Nissan thought it was necessary to add a serviceable filter, they would have, IMO.

Dont you think a 25 buck filter is cheap insurance for longevity? As you said I am sure Nissan would of installed one since they want to be known as reliable but. hmmm

Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Mr.202?

Just curious, why do some of you choose to go with aftermarket fluids when Nissan is so adamant about using their ATF and for good reason? Is it cost? Nissan wouldn't go to such lengths such as issuing technical service bullentins specifically noting that S or J-matic must be used in these cars.

http://www.the370z.com/images/servic...NTB08-049b.pdf
Yep the main reason I will use Matic-S is to keep my warranty. But I hear some dealers are using other companies for ATF.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just ordered 2.5 gallons of Amsoil ATF