G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New infiniti Owner First Car Need Help Please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New infiniti Owner First Car Need Help Please.

Hello I recently Bought A 2003 G35 Sedan This is My first Love & I wanna take as much care as possible to her.I was wondering what kind of oil I should use and what kind of transmission fluid to use. Also if jiffy lube is a good place to take it.Like I said this is my very first car and I worked real hard to get it,and would really appreciate any feedback thank you all.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Jiffy lube is subjective, although ive taken company vehicles there for some time, they have always (almost every time) tried to sell me on stuff I don't need.

I wouldn't take my personal vehicle there, it's operated by a bunch of kids working their way up......
Personally I like to know how much oil comes out and goes in...

Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Nah, Jiffy lube is poo.

There are many different oils so your going to get tons of feedback. The one oil not to buy is M1 5W-30, its subpar to just about every other comparable oil.

If its Automatic Use Nissan Matic S

Old 01-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Yes it is Automatic. Do you guys know how much the infiniti dealership might charge me to get both of these done? So Screen get Nissan Matic s for the oil. What about for the transmission? I'll save my money and get whatever is best or close to it.I just really wanna take real good care of my car and learn as much as possible I been reading allot on here and I will continue to..thanks for your feedback guys I appreciate it.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:34 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
no the matic s is the trans fluid

Old 01-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
^ Yep lol

Matic S is tranny fluid. Depends on what you want to do a flush or a drain an fill. Whats your mileage?

For Engine Oil I personally use Castrol Syntec/Edge

Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 AM
miles are allot =/ 140k Prob flush it..that would be better right. So castrol suntec/edge. Is it easy to do all this or pretty hard. Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
It is really easy to do the motor oil change. This thread is super helpful for many DIY jobs:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...eo-series.html

If you don't want to change the motor oil yourself, I would buy the oil and filter at your local auto parts store and take it to a nissan dealership to have them change it. I used to do this before I started doing it myself. It usually costs like $15-20 at the dealership if you bring your own oil + filter.

As for the tranny, you should do the flush. It takes like 12-14 quarts of matic S,so expect to pay more than you would for just a drain and fill. Again I would suggest having a nissan dealership do it instead of infiniti, they typically charge less for the fluid and labor.

Last edited by MikeDG; 01-20-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
^ Yep lol

Matic S is tranny fluid. Depends on what you want to do a flush or a drain an fill. Whats your mileage?

For Engine Oil I personally use Castrol Syntec/Edge
^This.

I'm the only one that changes oil in the G.
Honestly, I wouldn't trust many shops.

For one thing, the G needs to sit level, and sit for a while for all the oil to drain back into the pan.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Stay away from Jiffy Lube. Good lord that place is awful.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I would not do a flush. Several things can go wrong with a flush. First the flush machine can force broken off materials into the valves in the trans, starving it of trans fluid, eventually destroying it (faster than a normal trans death).

Second, the trans has worn and there is particulate matter from the wear of the trans in the fluid. The trans is used to this and uses it as a friction material. If you take out all the friction material the trans can slip.

I would do a drain and fill like the engine oil. Do it every 20-30k miles and you will soon have mostly fresh trans fluid and the trans will get used to the new fluid. It is just as easy as an engine oil change and will save you more money than an engine oil change (for some reason mechanics charge more to change trans fluid).

What you will need (what I recommend).

Engine oil change:
Fresh oil of you choice (Castrol Syntec or Edge/Penzoil Platinum or Ultimate)
Fresh oil filter of your choice (Mobil 1, K&N, Purolator Pure 1 or Wix)
Ramps or jack and jack stands
Oil pan to drain oil into
Socket to fit oil drain plug
Filter wrench to take off filter
Old milk jug or similar to safely transport oil to recycle station (wherever you bought the oil)
Newspaper to set under the oil drain pan in case of spill
2 funnels, 1 for pouring fresh oil in, 1 for pouring old oil into jug (you can use one if you clean it out well between).

Trans fluid change:

Nissan Matic S auto rans fluid (matic J was original, but is no longer made)
Socket to fit trans drain plug -different size than engine oil (accessed under the passenger side).
Oil pan to drain oil into (same one as engine)
Old milk jug or similar (premeasure with water to make graduated marks, using a cup used for cooking so you put in the same amount you take out) to safely transport oil to recycle station (wherever you bought the oil)
Newspaper to set under the oil drain pan in case of spill
Ramps or jack and jack stands (same ones as engine)
Funnel - You can use the same as engine oil to pour into jug, but you need a separate funnel to pour fresh trans fluid into trans. Also, the tip must fit in the trans dip stick tube. I would use this funnel only for trans fluid so as not to contaminate the trans fluid.

Initially you will spend alot, but after about 3 oil changes you will be saving money every time you diy. An oil change is very easy and will give you a sense of accomplishment. the first time you do it, I would have a friend or parent who has done it before guide me. anyone have anything else, feel free to add.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Matic S for the tranny, do a dealership flush ~ $300, some people say it's bad for your transmission, I like it.

Use AMSOIL in your engine, only the best.

Avoid JiffyLube.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've heard nothing but horror stories from Jiffy Lube. I took mine to Tires Plus and they did a really nice job with my oil change and wheel balance. They also do a courtesy check, where they just note anything that looks out of place and mark it on a sheet, but they don't push any kind of sale on me at all.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Stay away from Jiffy Lube. Good lord that place is awful.
I went to one and the manager was yelling at the grease monkey. He was too lazy to even leave the lobby to yell a the guy. He yelled through a door, right in front of me. From then on I changed my own oil.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:28 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
They tried to sell my sister $1000 worth of **** when all she needed was an oil change. Told her the car was unsafe to drive. (it was a leased car and 3 years old..)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New infiniti Owner First Car Need Help Please.