G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

AT Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AT Check Engine Light

I will start by saying that I'm an idiot and tried to install a remote starter myself on my 2004 G35 Sedan. In the instructions it says to connect a brown wire to the parking lights wire. I looked up the wiring diagram and this is designated as a red/blue wire in the drivers side kick panel. I located a red/blue wire in the drivers side kick panel and connected the brown wire to this. I am finished connecting all necessary wires to test and I test it. The car starts but the parking lights don't flash. I figured the connection was loose or something but either way i needed a spare key before I could actually use the remote starter so I unplugged everything, taped the wire ends and put everything back. The next time I started the car the AT Check light was on and the car wouldn't shift out of 4th gear. I immediately took it to the dealership and they said I needed a whole new transmission and that they wouldn't test any of the internals such as the transmission control module and the torque converter they would just replace the whole thing for $6100. The scanner pulled p0744 code for torque converter. Has anybody ever seen this? This seems like it would just be an electrical problem to me but like I said before I'm an idiot. Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 04InfinG35
I will start by saying that I'm an idiot and tried to install a remote starter myself on my 2004 G35 Sedan. In the instructions it says to connect a brown wire to the parking lights wire. I looked up the wiring diagram and this is designated as a red/blue wire in the drivers side kick panel. I located a red/blue wire in the drivers side kick panel and connected the brown wire to this. I am finished connecting all necessary wires to test and I test it. The car starts but the parking lights don't flash. I figured the connection was loose or something but either way i needed a spare key before I could actually use the remote starter so I unplugged everything, taped the wire ends and put everything back. The next time I started the car the AT Check light was on and the car wouldn't shift out of 4th gear. I immediately took it to the dealership and they said I needed a whole new transmission and that they wouldn't test any of the internals such as the transmission control module and the torque converter they would just replace the whole thing for $6100. The scanner pulled p0744 code for torque converter. Has anybody ever seen this? This seems like it would just be an electrical problem to me but like I said before I'm an idiot. Any help would be much appreciated!
Go back and check your work. There is a 99% chance that you have done something to cause this when installing the remote starter. I'd remove every connection of the remote starter system to car. Then I'd check for cut wires, verify the connections are all tight, etc. My guess is the red/blue tapped wire is part of the tranny and it was mostly severed when you tapped into it and isn't flowing enough current. Check everything again, check all fuses, and then reset the ECU. See what happens.

As for the dealer, what else can I say other than they're morons. It's so rare the JATCO 5ATs go out I swear, techs these days are parts replacers. They lack ANY ability to trouble-shoot. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your transmission.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM
The dealer removed all traces of the remote starter just to make sure that's what was causing it. Say they rewired everything properly, how would you go about resetting the ECU? Also, the tranny shop I took it to said they couldn't communicate with the car's computer because they didn't have the right scanner for infiniti's. Do you know what kind of scanner is needed? Do you know how to find the wiring diagrams for the car's driver side kick panel also(so I can figure out exactly what the wire was that I used)? I really appreciate any help you or anyone else can give!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i Have the same code P0744 but i have a high stall converter and i also have another code that can make this P0744 show up also. Even with the two different codes my car doesnt really drive funny. I only have these codes because i was running a 3200rpm Torque Converter for 6 months (Hard) without a bigger external tranny cooler. Do you have warranty? i would have someone else look at the wiring like dave said dealership is filled with morons!!!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM
I have a guy that's looking at the wiring but needs the wiring diagram for the driver side kick panel where I connected the wire to. Also, even if the wiring is good he can't communicate with the computer without the right scanner which means I would have to take it back to the morons at the dealership which is the last thing I want to do. No warranty, it ended at 100K and its got 109K now. How convenient! Thanks for your help!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Y does he want to communicate with the ecu is he resetting it? or is he trying to pull codes? He's having a problem with the scanner because some codes are infiniti spec only, that code is one of them. If he is resetting the ecu he probably has a old scanner or cheap one. Have the dealership reset th ecu.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Maybe this thread here will help you! Check it out Click on the link!

https://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy...e-manuals.html

Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Old 02-16-2011, 05:02 PM
To me these cars are very sensitive! I would do alot of research before ever trying a DIY on anything with our vehicles. Might turn into an expensive lesson. If you do replace tranny you can get one at a junk yard. In the future look into gettin a extended warranty.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Haha yea its already been quite the lesson for me. I never in a million years would have thought that I could have done this much damage especially to the tranny... I figured i would blow a fuse, maybe mess up the ignition switch or starter at the worst... never something so detrimental to the car like the tranny... the wiring diagram you gave is the one I was going off of which is the same as the one the remote starter manufacturer provided which said the red/blue wire in the driver side kick panel is the parking lights wire. I'll take a look at the other manuals to see if they give any other info. I also think the dealership I originally had it at reset the ECU after rewiring. Is it easy to reset the ECU? I'll try and confirm with them that the ECU was reset. Any other ideas if it has been reset already? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for say an hour, then reconnecting? This also performs a general reset as well, but it basically powers down the entire car so if could potentiall allow something in the trans to "reset"....stretch but wrorth a shot.

Btw...did you ever identify the wire you incorrectly tapped into? Might help troubleshoot the cause, especially if it's drivetrain related.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 02-16-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 PM
if it is reset and the problem continues keep checking out the wiring. Like dave stated before if your transmission was fine before you tried this task then your problem lies in your wiring. Most likly something is switched around. transmissions just dont malfunction that quick there is usually signs your trans is going before it goes like in my case for instance.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by mustang5l5
have you tried disconnecting the battery for say an hour, then reconnecting? This also performs a general reset as well, but it basically powers down the entire car so if could potentiall allow something in the trans to "reset"....stretch but wrorth a shot.

Btw...did you ever identify the wire you incorrectly tapped into? Might help troubleshoot the cause, especially if it's drivetrain related.
+1,000,000

Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
how much did you drive around with it in this condition?

You should have checked the FSM to determine which wire you were actually cutting.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 PM
disconnect battery for an hour then reset ECU. usually fixes most probs. i think...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AT Check Engine Light