G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35X AWD / Snow Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35X AWD / Snow Question

Random question... Read a bunch of threads about AWD engaging when you slip and how you can hear the system engaging (which you definitely hear something working when you start slipping in the snow). Now that "noise" you hear everyone is saying is the transfer case engaging to send power to the front wheels when slipping. Now if that is true, how come I don't hear it when I push the snow button as that is supposed to lock 50/50 power up to 16 mph? Shouldn't it be the same thing as if I was slipping?

Thoughts?

-Svence

Old 02-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hitting the snow button just changes changes how the power is distributed to the wheels.

That sound you hear is the VDC kicking in to try and regain traction via throttle control.

They're separate, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Siaon; 02-18-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i always thought the sound you hear was the vcd kicking in, because: with vcd off and awd on the sound is gone; and with awd off (100% rwd (i have a switch into the fuse)) and vcd on the sound is there...

Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Oops, it is the VDC, thanks.

I thought I put VDC in. xD

Old 02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
So what exactly are we hearing then? I understand how the transfer case works based on oil pressure on a clutch to spin the front drive shaft, but what is VDC doing? I thought it utilized the ABS system to brake slipping wheels?

And the simple question is, does anyone with RWD hear the noise, if so it's obviously not the transfer case.

-Svence

Old 02-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't notice the noise you're talking about until I installed my aluminum shield under the engine last spring.
I'm going to guess that it's caused by vibration/slippage in the transfer case. With the snow putton on the thing is locked up and not slipping/vibrating.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
The awd is always engaged. So when the slip light is displayed, that's the traction control kicking in, not awd engaging.

If you put your car on 4 jack stands, and put it in drive and let off the brake....all four wheels will spin. The computer controls how much power goes format and rear...the faster you go, the less power to the fronts. SNOW just changes the strategy to one that is more beneficial to slick conditions.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awd is not always engaged. even in snow mode, it only works up to 18 mph or something close to that. after thats its all rwd.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 PM
I don't think you can have a separation of the AWD and VDC systems, unless you turn off VDC obviously. When a slip is detected in the right rear wheel the VDC brakes that wheel (VDC) while also transferring power to the front axle via the transfer case (AWD). Right? Do RWD cars have a slip light that flashes when the slip or is it just a AWD thing?

-Svence

Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by yassy
awd is not always engaged. even in snow mode, it only works up to 18 mph or something close to that. after thats its all rwd.
Can you point me to a reference that supports that?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its in ur manual. Snow button locks its to 50/50 and reduces throttle response. Once u go over 20mph or close to it, it goes back to normal AWD.

And the slip noise u hear in the snow when loosing traxtion i beleive is the abs kicking in? The noise i hear in mine sounds just like the noise it makes whrn the car does its abs check.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Snow button is really only for getting out of parking spots. Lol. Other then that its pointless to drive with it on.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've never understood why my 'Slip' light still comes on even after turning off VDC.

Also, the Snow button reduces throttle response which makes it easier to drive on certain road conditions.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
^ that, imo, is the only reason i use the snow button for.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the full scoop:

The ATTESA system is designed for smooth starts, better fuel economy and better traction and manoeuvrability on snowy roads than conventional all-wheel drive systems and minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance characteristics on dry roads.*

The system's advanced torque split control strategy automatically transfers optimum torque to the wheels according to road and driving conditions. It provides outstanding cornering capability similar to a sports car due to optimum torque distribution to the front and rear wheels (from approximately 0:100 up to 50:50).*
System sensors continuously monitor vehicle speed, throttle position and wheel spin (at all four wheels). When road conditions don't require AWD, the G35 acts and feels like the award-winning rear-wheel drive G35 sedan, with the system capable of sending up to 100 percent of the power to the rear wheels. By comparison, leading competitive AWD systems with center differential transfer systems limit the amount of available power at the rear wheels to 50 percent (Audi A4 Quattro), 60 percent (Mercedes C-class 4-matic) or 62 percent (BMW 330xi). The G35 thus offers minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance and handling feel.*

From a standing start, the ATTESA system adjusts the front-to-rear torque distribution, adding 25 percent to the front wheels for a more powerful start. The system then quickly adjusts torque distribution as needed, sending up to 100 percent to the rear wheels if conditions warrant, or adjusting the front drive percentage up to 50 percent as needed.

In cornering situations, the ATTESA system can detect traction needs throughout the course of a turn and react accordingly. With its millisecond response time, the system can shift toque back and forth between the front and rear wheels to help enhance stability and traction. For example, in entering a corner (under normal driving conditions), the system functions nearly the same as any rear-wheel drive car. Torque distribution is almost 100 percent rear. Once in the corner, the system is able to transfer to the front wheels that portion of the drive torque that the rear wheels can't handle. This results in outstanding, sports car-like cornering ability. When exiting the corner, torque can be quickly transferred according to the wheel spin of the rear wheels from 50:50 up to 0:100 for smooth acceleration out of the turn.*

Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.

"Only the all-wheel drive G35 feels like a rear-wheel drive performance sedan, giving the drivers in Northern climates all-season driving enjoyment,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35X AWD / Snow Question