G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Brakes/Rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes/Rotors

really wish someone would teach me how to replace my own brakes/rotors. took the car in for a standard oil/filter change. seems that each time I present them with a coupon for the service, they find something else. although, I have been hearing the squealing recently, so this was certainly long over due.

however, getting a chance to see the receptionist makes it all worth it....

Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Are you somewhat mechanically inclined? Do you have access to a decent set of tools?

First off, remember that these oil change places will always try and find some other service recommend. Why do you think the oil changes are so cheap in the first place?

Just because the brakes are squealing doesn't mean the rotors need replacement. You need to measure the rotor thickness to see if they're still within the service range. Noise could simply be worn pads or loose brake pad shims.

Replacing the front rotors is pretty easy and I can do them in about 1 hour or so. I'd suggest finding a copy of the G35 Infiniti Field Service Manual for reference. There may even be a DIY on this site.

1) After removing the wheel, remove the lower 12mm bolt (most forward to the front of the car) from the caliper. Once removed, the caliper can rotate upwards, exposing the pads. Use a flat blade screwdriver to pry out the pads.

2) Slide the caliper back down, put the bolt back in and tighten hand tight. Take a 18mm socket and 18" breaker bar and remove the two bolts securing the caliper to the hub. Remove the caliper and use a peice of wire, bungee cord, etc to suspend the caliper in the wheel well and away from the rotor.

3) Now the rotor is ready be removed. If the rotors have been replaced in the past, then you might get lucky and they'll slide right off. If you're like most of us though that live in areas that see snow, the rotor will have seized itself a bit to the hub. Take a rubber hammer or 2lb sledge, etc and tap the rotor off the hub. Work in a circular pattern around the backside of the rotor. Slide the rotor off the hub and lug studs.

4) Clean off the rust on the hub and put a little bit of antiseize on the hub so that removing rotors in the future will be easier. Install the new rotor by simply sliding it on.

5) Reinstall the caliper. You'll need to look up the torque specs for the two bolts. I believe it's in the 80 ft/lb range.

6) Remove caliper bolt you had previously tightened to hand tight.

7) Remove the brake cylinder fill cap and use a u-clamp to compress the caliper flush back into the caliper assembly. You do this to make room for the thicker new pads. Take care not to damage the rubber seal around the caliper. After you're done compressing the calipers, put the brake cylinder fill cap back on.

8) Install the new pads.

8) Reinstall caliper bolt. You'll need to look up the torque specs for the two bolts. I believe it's in the 25 ft/lb range.

Done

Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Infiniti G35 Sedan Nismo Aero Sport Package
Very simple replacement! It can be done in two hours or less with proper tools

Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Forgot to mention about bedding in the pads

Old 03-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
DaveB = the man

Old 03-31-2011, 07:36 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by anynigma
DaveB = the man
As usual

Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I just replaced the front rotors/pads on my car and it's not that hard... I just looked up some videos and DIY's on the forums. Just be sure you have a breaker bar. The hardest part (by far) for me was getting off the 22mm (I think they're 22mm...) bolts that hold the caliper in place. They were torqued over 150 ft. lbs. on my car and I managed to get one side off after 2 hours, and then proceeded to go to the store to buy a breaker bar lol. Much easier with that.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
lol wish i just had air powered tools at home. every job i seem to do on my car, it takes twice as long just because i don't have the appropriate tool to do it efficiently

Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the tips, DaveB. It's not that I'm not mechanically inclined, just don't have very much time - plus a little skittish when it comes to attempting repairs on something very expensive. usually, I attempt to do my own house projects, I find a way to mess something up or break the first time, but learn after then. so I don't want to risk causing any additional damage on this car - I would need to practice on other cars first I guess.

I always take my car to the infiniti dealership that I bought it from, and they are good to me there. usually, I get the oil/filter change for $35 - which is well worth my time given that I have little of it.

but thanks for the step-by-step instructions - I'll have to clear my calendar one weekend this summer to give this a try....

Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I know what you mean about being a little hesitant to do some jobs on your car. I used to be the same way. Once you start doing them you'll be more confident. Having the right tools makes all the difference.

I recommend watching some of the videos in this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...eo-series.html

They show you how do several maintance jobs in great detail. I've saved a ton of money by doing stuff myself versus paying someone to do it.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Brakes are probably the biggest money maker for cars since most people are afraid to touch them. If you know how to change brakes, you can save thousands over the course of your lifetime in vehicle repairs.

It's not that tough, but if you have a friend who knows how to do them I'd suggest asking him over to supervise.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where you live also comes into play when telling how "easy" it is to do a certain job. When you have to deal with rust & salt, it makes your life worse and can turn an "easy" 2 hour job into a 5 hour one just because of one stubborn bolt or nut.

For example, yesterday, I practically did a brake job but just reused the old pads & rotors (focus was on lubrication which took care of the squeaking when not braking). But one of the caliper bolts on one wheel I could not get off & ended up stripping it Now I'm eventually gonna have to spend some time trying to "fix" that.

Doing stuff yourself is good & gives you confidence, it just sucks when things don't go as planned and then you've gotta waste time as a result.

But brakes are a pretty simple job on this car....in theory.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
+1 on the rust issue. Had plenty of jobs turn into nightmares due to rust.

Did a wheel bearing on an explorer once that took 16 hours. What a PiTA!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Bring a bottle of Hendrick's Gin to my house, and I'll show you how to do brakes

Old 04-06-2011, 03:34 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Use a DIY.. brakes = basic maintenance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brakes/Rotors