G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Headlight & Taillight tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanm8
Spring rate does not change on linear springs regardless if they're cut or not. So cutting spring mounts or springs will have the same effect. Regardless, I don't see how cutting springs is ricer but spring mounts is not? lol

Sounds like the guy was not using VHT... I know I can see my turn signals perfect (which are not LED's either by the way) when I turn them on and they're completely black when off.
The struts and shocks aren't valved for shorter springs, so they are going to wear faster with cut springs. Also, they are designed to contain the spring travel within a certain distance, so they will be more like to allow the suspension to bottom out. Cutting off what you think are dead coils, alter the travel of suspension WITHIN THE SPRING. The spring mount only moves where the spring is seated, not the length of the coil which moves up and down under load. Therefore the spring will expand and contract in an unknown behavior.

it was definitely VHT since I could see it's shitty flat finish.

Don't be mad that you're cheap and didn't want to tint your tails the right way, I'm sure they look like ****.

This is why the G35 has already seen it's demise, kids with $10 cans of spray tint....

Last edited by 4DGS; 08-17-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Not gonna get into an argument on the internet, so this will be my last post about this...

I wouldn't put anything on my car that looked cheap. My tails are just as shiny/glossy as my newly repainted trunk lid, which was professionally done at the Nissan collision center. It's not hard to make paint shine if you know how to wet sand.

The "cheap" way to go here is to not do anything to your tails at all, because that costs you nothing.

OP, do whatever you like. That's all I was trying to get at.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:31 PM
So this is your car then... look really shiny.

https://g35driver.com/forums/members...sc1132-x3.html

I think these are a little nicer

Old 08-17-2011, 02:38 PM
That was before I had time to wet sand them. Here's how they look now (yeah I know my car was dirty, lol)

Old 08-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Still looks like night shade....

and btw, the reason you can see you lights is because there is ZERO tint on them. If you're painting the useless parts fine you could take those to a shop and have them colour matched to OB. But I am talking about the idiots who spray their whole light and have no BRAKE lights.

Insurance companies love when some punk *** kid has black tail lights as it's an absolute write off as to who is at fault. You could get rear ended (even fully visible tails with some tint on them) and the insurance company will still win because you have altered the OEM light output.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah I wouldn't ever do the whole thing black. I thought about the insurance trouble, and also trouble from cops you might get by having it like that. Not worth the risk.

But the color really is very close. The rest of the car is dirty there so it makes it look off. The turn signals are the only part that is covered, but I can see them fine when turned on. I thought about doing them in OB, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to see the turn signals then.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:23 PM
So you've agreed with me lol

What I was saying is it's dumb to spray the whole thing including brake lights. The "GTR" style tint still had 100% light output.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm just a very indecisive person, I've looked more and the full tint's I don't really like. The Gtr style layovers on the other hand look a bit better and give full light output like you said which is nice.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
You do, but you also see a lot of ricers with their cars lowered. Is lowering your car ricer also? I don't see tinting any different than that.

It can be done and look nice, just depends on the car. But as always, do what you like and don't worry about others' opinions

Depends on how you do it....

Cut the springs so the car scrapes and bounces down the road would be completely different from researching and investing in springs, shocks and supporting mods that provide a drop while maintaining correct suspension geometry.

With any mods, there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. Striping your wheels down removing the tires and powder coating or painting them is a much better method than rattle-canning your rims after taping off your tires.

Same with tinted lights. Taking the time to careful paint the inside of the lights gives a nice classy look with no loss of function. Much better method than slapping 5% tint on.

With anything, it's the method and execution that makes the final result worthwhile.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
A lot of people cut their spring mounts here And even more of 350Z guys do.

For the safety issue, I used to think that as well, but now I think it may even be safer than not tinted (as long as you're using VHT). I can't speak for other paint, but the VHT is definitely transparent and does not block light. Even when the light looks pitch black. The only thing it may be blocking are the side reflectors on the light.

Often I find myself behind older crappy cars in the daylight with standard taillights and it's hard to tell when they're braking if the sun is shining on their car. In that case I think it would be easier to see if they were tinted because of the red/black contrast.

Just an observation.
You realize what you are saYing is not technically possible. ANY sort of film or covering affects light transmission. It's just not possible to "tint" and light and not effect its output.

The average non- tinted car window still has a VLT of 70-80%. it doesn't take much to reduce output. The laws are very vague on the issue, but federal motor vehicle standards require light output to be a certain intensity at certain angles and distances. Putting anything over the light reduces this dramatically.

As for tinted lights actually being better for visibility? I disagree here. Vie been behind quite a few cars where its tough to see the brake lights. Bright sun is one situation, but pouring rain on the highway is another situation where a car with tinted taillights clearly has reduced light output when compared to cars next to them. Yes, the light stands out better, but this is becaus you have reduced light output and glare. So instead of a brought light...you just see the individual LEDs. Just because the car has LEDs doesn't mean they are brought. It takes MANY LEDs to equal the output of a single halogen bulb and reflector setup. LEDs don't do well through diffuser type materials where halogens do. So if anything, you are already at a disadvantage from a technical standpoint.

But, as I said before, it's the method that makes a difference. a very light shade of tint might not cause you any issues, but slapping double 5% tint on it might have granny slamming into the back of your pride and joy when she cant see your brake lights one day.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 08-17-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:27 AM
Received 181 Likes on 150 Posts
unless you're getting black wheels, in my opinion, don't get your lights tinted

Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Won't be getting new rims untill the spring. Have other things I need my money for atm. But I dunno what color rims I will be b getting, I really like Hyper silver and Hyper black.

I will probably stear clear of light tinting/overlays for now.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely don't tint the headlight lens. If anything wait and black out the inside housing.

The following users liked this post:
Canadiotica (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DGS
The struts and shocks aren't valved for shorter springs, so they are going to wear faster with cut springs. Also, they are designed to contain the spring travel within a certain distance, so they will be more like to allow the suspension to bottom out. Cutting off what you think are dead coils, alter the travel of suspension WITHIN THE SPRING. The spring mount only moves where the spring is seated, not the length of the coil which moves up and down under load. Therefore the spring will expand and contract in an unknown behavior.

it was definitely VHT since I could see it's shitty flat finish.

Don't be mad that you're cheap and didn't want to tint your tails the right way, I'm sure they look like ****.

This is why the G35 has already seen it's demise, kids with $10 cans of spray tint....

guess i must of got lucky with my rattle can of VHT niteshades
warning: no clear coat of wetsanding were used in the tinting of this tail lights

Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 AM
That's funny you told me you clearcoated.

VHT applies gloss and dries flat no matter how you do it. Either way still look terrible!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headlight & Taillight tint