G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

'04 Passenger Seat Control Switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Passenger Seat Control Switch

Hi all,
I have been having intermittent problems with the passenger seat controls (both back/forward and recline controls). Now the recline control will only work in one direction, bringing the seat back forward, and it will not go back. My wife had to get in the back seat on a recent road trip because of this!
I pulled the seat control off and managed to get the seat back to recline by toggling the switch mechanism underneath the outer switches.
Does anyone know if it's possible to just get the component shown in the photo (the white part), or if this mechanism can be repaired?

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails '04 Passenger Seat Control Switch-seatcontrol.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 05:53 PM
This 350z passenger sear switch sure looks a lot like the one in my car...

http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...-SWITCH/Detail

Anyone ever tried fitting one of these on a G35?

Old 09-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
hmmm that looks a lot like the oem one but not sure if it will work

Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Well, Josh at Sewell confirmed that the switch can be ordered separately for my car. Price is $144-ish, if anyone is interested.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey, there is a member on here that had a used one for sale that I was talking to a few weeks ago. His name is norcal. Might want to shoot him a PM if you haven't already ordered new.

The following users liked this post:
g35x_KC (09-30-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you get the switch off?

Hi,

Strangely enough, In my 04 G35X, my passenger seat-back front-back switch seems to have broken yesterday as it only goes forward. My wife tolerated it better than I did-I ended up in the back, which was quite comfortable. The seat front-back adjuster goes forward, but possibly not all the way back.

I have searched for ways to get the switch off the top of the seat and have not found one here. How did you get the switch off?

Thanks for the post, and thanks in advance for your reply.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There's just the two screws that hold the switch to the seat, accessed from the side of the switch. In theory, you could use a right angle screwdriver to get to those screws with the seat in place, but I could not get enough torque to break the screws loose that way. That left pulling the seat loose with the 4 bolts (1 at each corner) that hold the seat frame to the floor. Then just tilt the seat back without removing from the car to gain full access to the switch.

The following users liked this post:
Andy77 (11-26-2011)
Old 11-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks. I'll try the easy way, but initially I did not see the screws so I will look again. If that doesn't work, I'll loosen the seat.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I went at the repair today. The hardest part was taking off the plastic bolt cover trim pieces. I never really understood how I got them off, as the shop manual is not fully clear (at least to me). I only broke one tab, on the inner rear cover. The other problem was that a 14 mm socket seemed too loose on the bolt, but other sizes, metric or English, were worse. The 14 did work fine.

As soon as I unscrewed the switch and pushed it to see what moved, everything worked! I didn't take the switch cover off the microswitch box since it was working. I wonder if there was some dirt in there that got shaken out when I took the switch off, but I don't really know.

I reassembled everything, including torquing the bolts and it still worked. I did not put the trim covers on yet in case I have to do it again.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Another win for Driver, great job all.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
How difficult is it to take the seat out of the car and what kind of screws are they?

I called the stealership and they want 505.70 to fix the seat.. The recline part of my seat wont come forward in the upright position.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
How difficult is it to take the seat out of the car and what kind of screws are they?

I called the stealership and they want 505.70 to fix the seat.. The recline part of my seat wont come forward in the upright position.
It's really easy to take the seat out. There are only four bolts and a few plugs to undo. Take the bolts out first to make undoing the plugs easier.

I just took out my drivers seat a couple of weeks ago to weld a cracked bracket and it was a piece of cake.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
^ thanks bro... i'm gonna look into doing it cuz i'm not gonna give them stealership $5xx. bucks for that and it's prolly not even the switch.. like a dude said.. it's prolly just dirt/trash stopping the switch from making contact

Old 12-10-2011, 01:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy77
I went at the repair today. The hardest part was taking off the plastic bolt cover trim pieces. I never really understood how I got them off, as the shop manual is not fully clear (at least to me). I only broke one tab, on the inner rear cover. The other problem was that a 14 mm socket seemed too loose on the bolt, but other sizes, metric or English, were worse. The 14 did work fine.

As soon as I unscrewed the switch and pushed it to see what moved, everything worked! I didn't take the switch cover off the microswitch box since it was working. I wonder if there was some dirt in there that got shaken out when I took the switch off, but I don't really know.

I reassembled everything, including torquing the bolts and it still worked. I did not put the trim covers on yet in case I have to do it again.

Thanks again for the help.
I have the exact same problem, picked mother in law (from Japan) and she inclined the seat forward and wouldn't go back.(2.5 hour drive) Wife knew of the problem for a week or so before and never told me.
Took it apart, worked at the actual switch but is intermittent after reassebly . I worked at first but came back, you have to wiggle it sometimes to get it to work.

Another thing, NEVER spill anything in those switches. I had water spill in the Driver seat switches and the seat squished my 6" 2' self into the steering wheel/dash, head in the windshield. We were driving 70 mph when the seat tried to kill me. I could barely touch the brake pedal with the tip of foot which straight up and down to stop in the median. Eventually the seat would move back for me to drive it home. Blew it out with compressed air but it would out of know where stop moving so eventually had my wife get the seat where she liked it and unhooked the switches at the bottom. Waited a month, hooked them back up and worked fine ever since. It left red indentions in my leg for a while, crap hurt.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 AM
I ordered on for my 06 G35 Sedan Passenger Side

Originally Posted by g35x_KC
This 350z passenger sear switch sure looks a lot like the one in my car...

http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...-SWITCH/Detail

Anyone ever tried fitting one of these on a G35?
Because the passenger side has an airbag sensor infiniti wants 700$ so repair the switch with all the airbag components. So I called Nick and he even found a 350Z passenger side double switch. It looks like the only difference is that the switch color is black and not silver. He was super helpful and it is 70$ shipped. I will let you know how it goes.

scott

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '04 Passenger Seat Control Switch