Engine Air Filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Air Filters

Hello,

Please answer a question for me, or provide useful input:

Will K&N reusable Engine Air filters (fitted specifically for this year and model. bought at Auto Zone) cause the Air Flow Meter to malfunction, which in turn will cause the car to run rich?

Are these air filters prohibited or deemed not to meet the Infiniti standards? Does one have to use the Nissan Air filters?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
No the K&N nor any other filter will cause problems.

By this comment"
Are these air filters prohibited or deemed not to meet the Infiniti standards? Does one have to use the Nissan Air filters"
Leads me to believe that you have either been talking to a shady mechanic or a (extra) shady dealer. maybe im wrong but your question seems off/odd.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Question

Originally Posted by 4D05G35
No the K&N nor any other filter will cause problems.

By this comment"
Are these air filters prohibited or deemed not to meet the Infiniti standards? Does one have to use the Nissan Air filters"
Leads me to believe that you have either been talking to a shady mechanic or a (extra) shady dealer. maybe im wrong but your question seems off/odd.
Yes, talking with one of several shaddy dealers in my area. Having major issues with the car. I'm trying to get them sorted out. The service technician didn't explain it to the satisfaction of me, or my mechanic and electrical engineering partner.

I'm at my wits end. Don't know what to do when i can't get this car properly serviced. The manufacturer isn't any help at all...

Old 09-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
the oil in the K&N will cause your MAF sensor to malfunction...

speaking from personal experience.. i had the Amsoil filter.
my infiniti dealer was very nice enough to cover it under warranty for me..
i trashed the filter immediately.. the 1hp gain was not worth the trouble.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
the oil in the K&N will cause your MAF sensor to malfunction...

speaking from personal experience.. i had the Amsoil filter.
my infiniti dealer was very nice enough to cover it under warranty for me..
i trashed the filter immediately.. the 1hp gain was not worth the trouble.
Can you explain more to me, please?

Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
^

When you buy your K&N filter it comes pre oiled with the proper amount of oil. When you clean it and re oil it, some people put too much oil on (this can be reduced by oiling it and letting it sit for a day or so to ensure excess oil drips out). When your engine is pulling air through the filter the excess oil is pulled out and into the intake tract. A few inches from the filter, the maf (mass air flow sensor) sits in the intake tract. If you get oil (the oil from your filter) on it it can cause your engine to misread the amount of air coming in. Go to an auto parts store and buy some maf cleaner (CRC makes some). Make sure it is maf cleaner and not carb cleaner. See if that solves the problem; if not, you might need to replace it.

I am in agreement, the K&N isn't worth the 1 hp you might get from it. Use a paper filter like Fram or get a reusable non oil performance filter from a company like Amsoil.

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
bigjee (09-17-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 04:50 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Ive heard quite a few people complain that the K&N oil messed up thier MAF sensor. Apexi and a few other manufacturers make performance dry filters. They are better priced also.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
If the filter is over-oiled, residual oil can "blow-thru" the filter and coat the MAF sensor wires. These wires are heated up and the airflow over them causes them to cool. The amount of cooling effect is measured and compared to a table to determine airflow through the sensor. It's basically a hot-wire anemometer if you understand how those tools work.

The oil coats the wires and causes the readings to be erratic. usually, spraying the wires with electronics spray cleaner cleans them and cures the issue. I've never not seen a MAF be able to be cleaned that was coated in oil. It shouldn't destroy the sensor.

I've run K&N's on my cars for 10+ years without issue. Typically, when i buy one, i get the oil/cleaner kit and clean the oil off the new filter and reoil it myself on the upstream side. This usually eliminates the "over-oiling" effect. I periodically check and clean my MAF's as routine maintainence anyway. 99% of the time they are oil free anyway.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the information. It makes sense. The problem with the car running rich was diagnosed two days ago. However, I had the air filter in the car for more than six months. I re-oiled it one month ago. I will change the filter this week.

The car is still consuming too much gas. It has been for over a year.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Usually, over-oiled filters which deposit on the MAF have caused a lean condition in my experience. Still, doesn't hurt to take some proactive maintainence and inspect and clean the MAF wires with electronics cleaner.

I'd suspect the o2 sensors more than anything. Do you have a scanner capable of live data. You might be able to watch them live and help determine if they are slow to react. Also, taking a look at the long term and short term fuel trims may give you more clues. A good OBD2 scanner is a great tool in this situation

Do you have a CEL at all?

sportsfan (09-17-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I've cleaned my maf sensor with a q-tip and rubbing alcholol many times.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
so people adding too much oil blaming it on k&n lol thats funnny

The following 3 users liked this post by saywat?:
bigjee (09-17-2011), Blue Dream (09-17-2011), sportsfan (09-17-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 01:55 AM
hi everyone:

check this out: http://www.knfilters.com/maf/massair.htm.

K&N stands by its product and says that this is a myth that has never been proven.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good to know

Old 09-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Wow, car dealers denying work and blaming it on K&N. Then K&N saying their product is not to blame and refusing to pay out for what their product might have damaged.

Who would have thought a big company would pass the buck, on both parts. I would have been really surprised if K&N admitted any fault, since that would have opened them to a class action law suit to replace alot of MAF's and refund the cost of filter purchase, basically bankrupting them.

Same thing for the car manufacturer's; they know if they deny a claim most people aren't going to hire a lawyer over a $200 part.

Who ends up screwed and paying the bill; you and I.

sportsfan (09-17-2011)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Air Filters