G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

time for a clutch replacement!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time for a clutch replacement!

I have a dilemma that I would like the community to help out with. My clutch and flywheel went out on my sedan and now I wanna replace it with something else. I dont race, but I like to spread her legs on the frwy once in a while.

I was gonna try and get the Nismo flywheel (bc it offers partial performance + minimal chatter). And try to pair it up with another clutch kit, but which one? I was leaning towards the JWT clutch kit bc I read that it bolts right up to the OEM flywheel. But a friend of mine just gave me a quote with his employee discount for the full NISMO clutch + flywheel setup for around a $1,100

What do you guys think? Should I stick with the full Nismo kit + flywheel? Or get the JWT + nismo flywheel? OR full JWT?

Any and all input is much appreciated.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Its going to be around 800 with the flywheel. I had the act/excedy combo in my 03 and it was a good fit for the mods i had acted like OEM except the chatter.

Now have the JWT and stock in the 05 and no chatter but it doesnt feel like the car has any power.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 PM
wow, really? thats strange, do you mean you have the JWT flywheel or clutch?

this is tough...I'm trying to read and read about the different clutches, but now cost is also a factor. The oem Exedy clutch combo seems pretty nice for around $300, but I'm not really sure about that.

Last edited by kenasaki; 11-09-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Project
Its going to be around 800 with the flywheel. I had the act/excedy combo in my 03 and it was a good fit for the mods i had acted like OEM except the chatter.

Now have the JWT and stock in the 05 and no chatter but it doesnt feel like the car has any power.
Is a lightweight fly really that much better? Will the car feel a lot quicker? I'm patiently waiting at 140K

Old 11-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Is a lightweight fly really that much better? Will the car feel a lot quicker? I'm patiently waiting at 140K
140K on the original clutch? Wow you really drive it well. I'm at 96K now so if I want to wait for mine to go out before replacing them I still have a looong way to go....

There were many discussions on OEM v.s. aftermarket and dual v.s. single mass flywheel, IIRC the general consensus is that the lightweight flywheels will free up some ponies and make the engine rev up/down faster, but getting slower 1/4 mile and also chatter at low rpm. So it's up to you

IMO I'd go with Nismo flywheel for OEM-like drivability, and if the car's stock and no plan for FI I'd stick with OEM clutch.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:52 PM
I bought my whip with 77k, not sure if the previous owner changed the clutch or not. It's slipping a little bit every now and then, but of course it does help to know how to use it.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:23 PM
The problem with oem clutch is that it's a gwap of cash. And exedy seems to be the one I'm leaning towards right now. I just got a quote for the jwt kit for $485 minus the fly. I could get the fly for $460 thru a friend from Nissan. Or another member just gave me a link to a Nismo flywheel that exedy makes for much cheaper. I hope it's a direct replacement with all the same bolts though.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
from my own experience I'd recommend upgrading ur clutch pivot ball while ur at it...mine snapped with the oem set up, a $40 part and the trans needs to be dropped...PITA

for 2003 only:
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...67.164.222.110

04+
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...67.164.222.110

Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 PM
yeah, I think that comes with the kit. I looked at the pic, and it looks like it does. big plus+ on that. haha.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
I went with the JWT clutch/flywheel kit from IPP and it came with a couple additional parts (stainless line, pivot ball, nismo bearing). For the price, you can't beat it. I am very happy with my JWT setup.

I replaced my OEM clutch at 90k. surprisingly, it still had a bit of life left in it.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 AM
really? I'm busy reading reviews on it right now. I think I'm gonna go with the JWT setup....minus the flywheel. I think I'm leaning towards the Nismo flywheel for (3) reason:

1) at 20lbs, still lighter than stock and still will give minimal chatter
2) i can get a discount on it right now
3) I dont really race or anything, and I like how the car is with minimal chatter

whatever option I choose, I'm really gonna have to get this done ASAP...its just not even safe driving it no more bc of the slipping in every gear!

Does anyone know a good shop that will replace it in or near Long BEach?

Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
i've been looking into a clutch/flywheel kit too. some JWT kits appear to have a premature failure issue, and i read nismo actually has some of the most chatter just behind JWT. seems like exedy or act or competition brands are going to be the best bet

Old 11-11-2011, 01:18 PM
I think I'm going to go with Exedy clutch and resurface my stock fly...

Old 11-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by kenasaki
really? I'm busy reading reviews on it right now. I think I'm gonna go with the JWT setup....minus the flywheel. I think I'm leaning towards the Nismo flywheel for (3) reason:

1) at 20lbs, still lighter than stock and still will give minimal chatter
2) i can get a discount on it right now
3) I dont really race or anything, and I like how the car is with minimal chatter
I might also go with Nismo flywheel when it's time, base on the same reasons above.

Originally Posted by kenasaki
whatever option I choose, I'm really gonna have to get this done ASAP...its just not even safe driving it no more bc of the slipping in every gear!

Does anyone know a good shop that will replace it in or near Long BEach?
Corner 3 in Lake Forest or R&J in Carson, that's where I'd go to have mine installed (when the time comes). Check SoCal section for other recommended shops.

The following users liked this post:
kenasaki (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Mr.BalloonHands
i've been looking into a clutch/flywheel kit too. some JWT kits appear to have a premature failure issue, and i read nismo actually has some of the most chatter just behind JWT. seems like exedy or act or competition brands are going to be the best bet
really? now that is also an issue that I am concerned about.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: time for a clutch replacement!