G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

AT Fluid Replacement Needed (never?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thebonafortuna
I'm no mechanic, but since you're asking my opinion, I'd say change the diff fluid ASAP. You've got heavy duty gears in there, and it takes heavy duty oil. I believe you're supposed to change that oil every 30k.

As it's been so long, the old oil will smell terrible and you'll likely see metal shards when you drain it out. Don't let it touch your bare skin. It drains fast and heavy, so be ready with a big pan and lots of newspaper underneath.
Thanks, it was a serious question since i had no control what happened to the car before i bought it.

Any more serious answers? If you do know what you are talking about feel free to pm me.

Thanks Again.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
OP, either 'you got your search on' or people were/are assuming you were/are asking something you were/are not. (Yes, I enjoyed that grammatical slaughtering.)
Reading all the posts in this thread would lead someone to the assumption that far too many people are making assumptions... yes, that just happened!
Anyway, I will address, and attempt to change, some of the incorrect information here. That way, anyone reading this thread, whether now or later, will not take action they will regret.

To clarify:
Yes, you need to change your transmission fluid. (As previously stated, every 100k according to Nissan.)
Yes, Nissan/Infiniti say some of their transmissions do not need service for life. What they do not tell you is 'life' is defined as 100k. (This is a marketing ploy.) So yes, your tranny needs to be serviced regardless of what people say or see on TV. This is science happening people...
There is no harm in changing your fluids early.
There is no harm in changing your fluid in an 'old' transmission. This old wives tale was propagated by wrong information, misunderstanding, and ignorance. The accurate truth is - you should not FLUSH your tranny if it is 'old'. The reason: especially if using [higher than normal] pressure and cleaners (which all shops I know do), you will break down seals risking internal leaks, clogs valves/passageways, etc. If you passively flush you system by cleaning static build up and replacing fluid, the above is minimized to a moot point. Let your transmission clean itself as it is designed to do!
If you really think old fluid is going to do more harm to your transmission than new fluid, you do not understand mechanical wear. The caveat being, use intended oils without additives and other chemicals your tranny was not meant to handle.
Replacing screens and/or filters and fluids = never bad.

I also would like to avoid any finger pointing. It is childish and not helpful thus take my posts as objective.
Please do not post, "well I flushed my tranny and nothing bad happened". This is not helpful for the simple fact you are ignoring physics and stating circumstance. I can potentially smoke a cigarette and have no noticeable harm done and not get addicted. Does that mean cigarettes are not addicting and good for your body? Certainly no one would make such a claim. So let us be careful what we say so we do not to lead others into potential trouble.

The following 5 users liked this post by adroitcaptor:
Abax84 (12-14-2011), BallerOnaBudget (12-16-2011), Hcp911 (12-12-2011), monty2003 (12-13-2011), Trickstyle (12-27-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Super.

Here is my original post:
If you are going to do it with high milage, I suggest dropping the pan, replacing the filter/screen, seal and cleaning all of the funk from the bottom of the pan.
Also the magnets will be caked full of crap.

You will need five quarts of Matic-S.

Read Number four...
If you drain the pan you will get 4 1/2 quarts out.
When you remove the pan there will be anothe 1/2 quart in the bottom of the pan which will not drain.
This half quart will contain the majority of the crap and crud.
There is also two magnets on the pan which will be thickly coated in metal shavings.

Again... Stop reading so deeply into your FSM and take a little advice.

You don't need to be a FU<KING ******** when someone is trying to help you out.
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-2004-g35.html

Notice the shape of the pan. There is no way to drain all of the contents from the bottom.
There is always a puddle of sludge in the bottom until the pan is removed and cleaned out.

The following users liked this post:
Hcp911 (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
Super.

Here is my original post:
If you are going to do it with high milage, I suggest dropping the pan, replacing the filter/screen, seal and cleaning all of the funk from the bottom of the pan.
Also the magnets will be caked full of crap.

You will need five quarts of Matic-S.

Read Number four...
If you drain the pan you will get 4 1/2 quarts out.
When you remove the pan there will be anothe 1/2 quart in the bottom of the pan which will not drain.
This half quart will contain the majority of the crap and crud.
There is also two magnets on the pan which will be thickly coated in metal shavings.

Again... Stop reading so deeply into your FSM and take a little advice.

You don't need to be a FU<KING ******** when someone is trying to help you out.
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-2004-g35.html

Notice the shape of the pan. There is no way to drain all of the contents from the bottom.
There is always a puddle of sludge in the bottom until the pan is removed and cleaned out.

Penny wise pound foolish. Why worry about drops in the bottom of pan when you left 5 4 7/8 of dirty fluid in the transmission! As soon as you started the engine your old 4 7/8 quarts of fluid mixed with the new 5 quarts and then you had 10 7/8 quarts of mildly dirty fluid.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by monty2003
Penny wise pound foolish. Why worry about drops in the bottom of pan when you left 5 4 7/8 of dirty fluid in the transmission! As soon as you started the engine your old 4 7/8 quarts of fluid mixed with the new 5 quarts and then you had 10 7/8 quarts of mildly dirty fluid.
Exactly. I don't why he can't let this go. I've never done Nissan's recommended procedure simply because I thought it would be a bit messy, I rarely have help, and getting the ATF fluid level just right is always a pain.

I've done the multiple ~3.5 qt drains/fill procedure and got the fluid to the point that it is a nice clear pink. It's easy, but the Nissan's recommended procedure is ideal.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Is there any way to get myself unsubscribed from this thread? This is getting absurd.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 PM
I just did mine with the help of a friend. It was easier than I thought it would be. Now if shifts smother and the tip troinic does not lag as much anymore. All fluids wAs from the dealer.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow some of you guys, just wow.

I change mine every 10K or so.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
10K seems a little excessive. In autotech school the books said electronic shift trannies should be changed every 15K as opposed to every 30K for old shool trannies. Passages and solenoids in the valve bodies of electronic shift trannies are smaller than old school so the fluid needs to stay cleaner. I still think that is excessive, Toyota still recommended 30K when I worked there.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I heard the same thing about changing your trans fluid after a extended amount of time, it breaks down all that junk inside. I have also seen it happen and the trans had to be replace. The dealer suggested I have my changed, (161,000 miles at the time) I asked him about the tranny messing up after the changing, he stated the Infiniti has a additive to help to prevent the tranny from slipping. I figured i would have it done at the dealer so if it goes wrong I can blame them.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kpowe1
I asked him about the tranny messing up after the changing, he stated the Infiniti has a additive to help to prevent the tranny from slipping. I figured i would have it done at the dealer so if it goes wrong I can blame them.
Read my above post...

Agreed, 100k is too long.

All oils have additives. How effective they are and how long they last coupled with the variability of standard wear on a system is what will/should dictate oil changes.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:39 PM
ATF Flush

I had my ATF power flushed by the stealer @ 30k. Shifting improved, especially downshifts.
The power flush eliminates all the mess of refilling and gets rid of the crud. YMMV.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had mine changed at 30K intervals. Felt better safe than sorry.

First car I drove was a hand me down 75. When I got rid of the car with 133K miles, had never changed the transmission fluid. Just added a pint every year or 2. This on an American car of the mid 70's

Old 12-21-2011, 08:20 PM
as we spin around the sun... i replace whats in pan every 30,000 mile. it cant hurt...