G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Clear Bras - How, What, Why...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clear Bras - How, What, Why...

I've been lurking here as a new G35 owner for the past few weeks and reading up on all I can get my eyes on. Of all the little glitches and complaints I've read about the G35, the soft paint is a reality for me. I already have a small rock chip and, whats worse, three scratches in the bumper from a cardboard box, of all things.

I have a few questions regarding "clear bras".
First, if I understand correcly, it is applied like a film or tint product (not sprayed or painted on), right?
If so, does that mean it could be removed later without damamge?
Since I have the aforementioned chips/scratches, is OK to use a touch up kit like you find in AutoZone first? (not sure if that stuff will sweat/bleed)
I've seen kits for the headlights as well, why? (no paint, impact protection? are people cracking lights in their Gs?)
What other worries/concerns should I have?
Know of a good installer/product in SoCal - Riverside/Palm Springs/Redlands area?

Old 01-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, if I understand correcly, it is applied like a film or tint product (not sprayed or painted on), right?
Correct.

Correct again. The dealer scratched my hood piece during a visit and had to have that section replaced... they pulled the old film and replaced it. You'd never know...

Since I have the aforementioned chips/scratches, is OK to use a touch up kit like you find in AutoZone first? (not sure if that stuff will sweat/bleed)
I'd fill it in lightly with touch up paint first, and get the paint from the dealer for an exact match.

I've seen kits for the headlights as well, why? (no paint, impact protection? are people cracking lights in their Gs?)
I've been alive for 35 years and the only broken headlights I've seen are from impacts with other cars or stationary objects like walls. The clearbra industry encourages customers to install a small piece of film over the headlights to protect from impacts from road debris that may break the headlight lens... I didn't buy into that sales pitch.

It costs in the vicinity of $600 and more for a good install. The install is the key with this product, make sure you get a good installer.

Know of a good installer/product in SoCal - Riverside/Palm Springs/Redlands area?
Sorry...I'm in Florida, but there are lots of CA members who can point you in the right direction.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlamp protection is something that can be helpful if a large piece of object is hurled at highway spds at the lens, it will break.....how often this happens.......depends on luck. Most people do not get breakage on the lens, but we have seen some that gets cracked up by road debris several times. Generally, the part that gets cracked are the foglights bc they're usually made of glass. Headlights use plastic and can absorb impact better than glass. For about $75 to have the headlight and foglamps covered is cheap considering these lights could become hundreds of dollars in damage.

If you're in Socal, EDL a call at 866-335-3456.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:51 AM
To my knowledge, the headlamp protection is mainly there to help prevent the plastic covering from pitting or getting the sandy, hazy look. Ever since cars have started to use plastic covers, breakage doesn't occur as often, but the plastic does get worn down and foggy after awhile.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:40 PM
antho2006's right. In addition to protecting the lenses from breakage, it also protects the car from environmental degradation to the plastic. It will keep the headlights looking glossy and new.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Will it protect the headlamps from "yellowing"? And I guess while I'm at it, what about the clear bra itself? Does it yellow or "fog" with age?

Old 01-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Clear Bras Alabama locations

Does anyone know of a good place in Birmingham alabama that can profesionally install a clear bra? I just bought a Silver 04MY and want to make sure it looks as good for years to come as it does now.
thx

Old 01-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Will it protect the headlamps from "yellowing"?
Yes, it will keep the lights glossy and looking new.

And I guess while I'm at it, what about the clear bra itself? Does it yellow or "fog" with age? It really depends on the film you purchase:

3M-1st gen film, about half of our customers had fading issues, which is why 3M upgraded their film one yr ago. However, the film is still new and they're warranty is only 5 yrs.
Avery-still using the old urethane, which tends to yellow in about 2 yrs.
Bekaert-film also is likely to fade in about 2yrs and this company uses the cheapest urethane on the mkt..........way too much orange peel
Llumar-company's film is clear, but their customer svc is not on par with 3m or Venture. If there's a warranty issue, they will likely try and get out of it with loopholes.....e.g. if the film starts turning grayish, this will not fall into the category of yellowing. Film is backed by a lifetime warranty though.
Venture / Madico - uses the same urethane technology and is one of the clearest on the mkt. Comes with a lifetime warranty and both company's customer svc is excellent.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35 Owner
I've been lurking here as a new G35 owner for the past few weeks and reading up on all I can get my eyes on. Of all the little glitches and complaints I've read about the G35, the soft paint is a reality for me. I already have a small rock chip and, whats worse, three scratches in the bumper from a cardboard box, of all things.

My Coupe is shown in the gallery section (gspotter). Take a look if you'd like. It has a clear bra on it. It is a 3M clear bra which was installed by Alan Seligman who is probably the best clear bra installer in the US. It cost $540. The clear bra on the front bumper is one single piece which covers the entire bumper without a single seam and is invisible! There is also clear bra on the front portion of the hood, front portion of the front fenders, chin spoiler, and mirrors. Touch up paint will not bleed but may come off along with the clear bra if you ever remove it. Yes, the clear bra can be removed without damage- Alan removed a previous install which was lousy prior to him doing it right! BE SURE TO CHECK OUT EXAMPLES OF THE INSTALLER'S WORK FIRST! By the way, 3M recommends NOT to do the headlights.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:54 PM
I would recommend to cover the headlights because over time, debris from freeways will cause the plastic lens to pit. Also, while you are at it, cover the mirrors too.
I have the black vinyl bra for my other cars and the only areas that show chips and pits are the headlights are mirrors because there is no covers on them.

I installed the clear bra for the Nismo bumper, hood, frt fenders, headlights,and mirror for about $600 in Torrance. I forgot the installer's name but his shop calls Envisage Design Lab. He did a very decent job on my car.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
When shopping for clearbras, ask the installer what kit he uses. Some are meant for professional installation and have fewer (larger) pieces so you won't see seams everywhere, like Xpel. But other kits are meant for DIYers, so there are more pieces that are easier to install, but will have seams, like Invincashield.

I think getting film over the headlights is a good idea, because, at least for the coupe, you have to replace the entire HID headlight unit if it breaks or gets damaged, which is several hundred dollars.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:50 AM
First, I'd like to take the time to thank you all for your replies.

gspotter, Nice ride and, I gotta say, that bra truely is invisible if it's on your ride in those shots. Is the installer you mentioned in SoCal? Contact info?

Wil, Sounds like you're giving the nod to Venture products, with a tollerance for 3M's new film. I googled "Venture clear bra" and only found fourm posts, but not a manufactor's website. Any further info?

Old 01-05-2005, 12:46 PM
I have the Venture clear bra on my car, and it is indeed clear and smooth in texture. I'm located in the South Bay area, and got my clear bra installed by Daniel Cook, who did an excellent job. [When a different detailer saw how good the job was done, he complimented it and was impressed enough to ask me for Daniel's phone number].

It blends very well with my DG sedan, and you can see picts of my car from my profile [or do I not have that feature with the new forum upgrade?].

Old 01-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Nevermind... Here is an old pict of the front my sedan with the clear bra already installed [front bumper, head lamps, about first 1/3 of hood, and front face of side mirrors]. Picture was taken just before I lowered it.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Is there any prep to do before you take it to the installer to get it installed? Should I go ahead and clean and wax? or just let the installer take care of the prep.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Bras - How, What, Why...