G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Help! Headlight restoration gone wrong!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay... He can get it MUCH better still!!! You are on the right track. What I found with mine is after doing it once I had the same results but then did it all over again and Started with the 2000 grit and then went to a 3000 grit. After that used Plastix with the drill buffing pad. Then wiped it all dry and got the buff pad wet and and did not add anymore Plastix on it and kept going. Then I polished the **** out of it by hand with the Plastix. It takes time but mine became flawless! Just make sure you keep that drill pad moving so you dont melt the plastic a little. You can leave on bad spots for a couple seconds but dont leave it in the same spot for like 10 seconds or else you will have to start over with the 2000 grit paper and work your way through the whole process again.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Man I got sick of doing mine, they would look great for 3-6 months then need to be re-polished. I had a body shop sand/polish then clear coat. They look brand-new and will last a few years at least. Well worth the money.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
i know people who wet-sand. and polish headlights. they apply jetseal 109 and he has never had anyone come back because the lights haze up again or need repolishing.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the best thing i ever did for my hazy headlights...

look for my post "headlight clean up"

Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
looks to me like you used too much pressure while sanding. i've used those kits before that come with the spongy ball on a drill bit and polish. it works pretty good. some come with the little sanding pads. those work good if you keep them wet and dont use too much pressure.

what i did the other nite is take my electric sander/polisher that i use to detail my car and i used the wool pad with some turtle wax rubbing compound and at a medium speed i went over the entire light. i went slowly up, down and then left to right. i did both headlights then cleaned them up with a rag. next i took my foam polishing pad and used some polish/ protectant that i had left from one of those headlight restoration kits and polished the headlights again from side to side, up and down. it worked great the first time so i didn't need to repeat the process.

the pads work great on my car so i figured i'd try on my headlights and it came out great. i love detailing my car now with the variable speed sander/polisher. the wool pad and rubbing compount work great to take out deep scratches and imperfections. the foam pad and swirl remover work great to remove the swirls left behind from the wool pad. right now i'm using meguiars wax to finish the car. i'd like to get some better wax in the future but, i just got my polisher and pads not too long ago and wanted to see how everything came out. it's been working great so now it's time to move on to some better compounds.

sorry i kinda went off subject here but, the polisher cleans up everything on my car. highly recommend getting one.