G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

ART Pipes with otherwise stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by azazell64
Alright, well time for an update. Switched back to all stock exhaust aside from the ART pipes and still have a fairly decent amount of buzzing under acceleration. Any ideas?
Had the same thing here.... My fix was to replace the stock exhaust, lol.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Received 309 Likes on 210 Posts
rasp is to be expected with art pipes with the stock exhaust, that's a widely known fact. as tony has already said, you need a proper y pipe to match up to the art pipes.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright well here is the video finally, sorry about the poor quality it was taken off my digital camera that doesn't do real great video. As for above comment, I had what I believed to be a "proper" y-pipe being the Megan Y-pipe and now am wondering if I need the Motordyne XYZ w/resonator in order to eliminate the rasp. The video really only shows the rasp at backdown but be assured that when driving at a consistent RPM above 2500 the rasp is there constantly. Anywhere here is the link let me know what you guys figure. Again thanks for the help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUN42...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Alright well here is the video finally, sorry about the poor quality it was taken off my digital camera that doesn't do real great video. As for above comment, I had what I believed to be a "proper" y-pipe being the Megan Y-pipe and now am wondering if I need the Motordyne XYZ w/resonator in order to eliminate the rasp. The video really only shows the rasp at backdown but be assured that when driving at a consistent RPM above 2500 the rasp is there constantly. Anywhere here is the link let me know what you guys figure. Again thanks for the help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUN42...ature=youtu.be
ok so i'm alittle confused, is the featured video with or without the megan Y pipe? i'm really interested in seeing how your exhaust turns out. my current setup is megan resonated tp's, ichiba HR Y, z mid, and stock 05 sedan muffler. i've got a set of art pips that i've been wanting to put on but, i've been alitttle worried about the outcome. my current testpipes have alittle rasp to them. i used some heatrwrap to help cutdown on the rasp. it does help out a good bit. if you can help it, wrap the pipes in heatwrap before installing them. it's much easier wrapping the pipes while off the car.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 PM
The youtube video is of ART pipes with otherwise stock exhaust. Unfortunately I didn't get a video of the ART pipes with the Megan system on, when it was on though, it was obviously much louder and hence made the volume of the rasp amplified as well to the point where it was simply not tolerable anymore. Hope this info helps you, if you need any more info let me know and unfortunately I didn't heat wrap the pipes before putting them on, I suppose if push comes to shove I could always remove them in the future and do them.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Well whatever you do, dont forget about me. lol

Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Received 309 Likes on 210 Posts
They were not a proper set up/configuration. The Megan y pipe has 2.5" inlets. The ART Pipes diameter is 2.25". Get MD's XYZ with the resonator, which has a perfect match up of 2.25" and all your problems will be gone. Rasp comes down difference in diameters and occasionally resonators, but those are mostly for drone.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Alright, done deal, MD resonated XYZ on order, will update as soon as it's on. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 PM
definitely keep us posted. from the sound of it i may have to replace my ichiba hr Y pipe with the oem if i use the art pipes depending on how much rasp i have.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 PM
From what I have gathered from these helpful people it depends on the inlet size on your y-pipe. Check the specs on your y-pipe and report back and I'm sure someone following along here will be able to tell you. In my case neither the stock y-pipe or the Megan Y-pipe worked for me, so now I'm onto the MD resonated XYZ.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 PM
dineth00i30, I haven't forgotten about you, I'm just waiting to see how all this pans out, in the mean time, trying to locate a box big enough for these items could be a bit on the tricky side :P Obviously the one from the new y when it arrives will work for the y-pipe just have to find something for the mid and muffler

Old 03-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
dineth00i30, I haven't forgotten about you, I'm just waiting to see how all this pans out, in the mean time, trying to locate a box big enough for these items could be a bit on the tricky side :P Obviously the one from the new y when it arrives will work for the y-pipe just have to find something for the mid and muffler
I actually just want the mid and muffler.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 PM
LOL good thing you picked the two items I won't have boxes for :P I'll start hunting around here in hopes that this solves all of my problems. Send me a PM and we can start negotiating before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Well today's update, finally bolted up the MD Resonated XYZ, has eliminated almost all the rasp, still the hiss from the ART Pipes but that was to be expected, finally tolerable. Case closed, for now :P Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Will you post a video of the new setup. I'd like to hear the results. I still haven't gotten around to putting my art pipes on. Been alittle busy preparing for a wedding but I'm gonna possibly try and get to it this week. I keep reading this post wondering how mine are going to sound with my ichiba Y. I'm holding on to my oem Y just incase.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ART Pipes with otherwise stock exhaust?