G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

getting test pipes, few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Roh
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
getting test pipes, few questions

hey guys, im prolly going to be getting the megan resonated test pipes v2. i've done a lot of reading up on them so i've done my research! the v2 test pipes have built in o2 sensor fix already which is good.

Just had a few questions about test pipes in general.

Will test pipes harm my engine or cause oil consuming issues (read that on a 350z forum)? the guys on here that have ran/or run test pipes, have you had any other issues other then the CEL light?

thanks

Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have them and they are just like any other test pipes. They do what the are suppose to do.

Louder sound, little more high end rpm power. The o2 sensors bunges work so I have no CEL. But then again I have an 03 and they never really get CELs with these pipes.

AND they smell. But anybody can tell you test pipes will smell.

As for the oil consumption caused by test pipes? My G is totally fine. no burning oil here.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ this..i had them as well...mine did burn oil and still does...i couldnt deal with the rasp i had from those pipes...i had a full megan exhaust and wound up swapping out the test pipes for motordyne A.R.T. pipes...sounds amazing now

Old 03-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Roh
Originally Posted by P8NTBALLG35
^ this..i had them as well...mine did burn oil and still does...i couldnt deal with the rasp i had from those pipes...i had a full megan exhaust and wound up swapping out the test pipes for motordyne A.R.T. pipes...sounds amazing now
the rasp went away after you swapped the test pipes?

i was thinkin of going with the megan test pipes (189 shipped to canada) or the labree test pipes (260+ shipping to canada.)

right now i have the hr-y-pipe and coupe middy, going to be getting the sebring muffler (from labree). just gotta decide on which test pipes to go with now..

Old 03-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I sold them to a friend and he put them on his 350 with all stock exhaust and didn't have any rasp...he also had a stock intake...on my car I'm moving a lot of air maybe that's why I got the rasp...if you go to YouTube search g35 sedan Megan exhaust...mines the blue one username is pntballg35...you can hear the rasp...it wasn't bad sitting in park..lol but once it had engine load it was awful around 2500-4000 rpm...hope this helps

Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
I just can't imagine why you'd want them.

Smell - definitely. Rasp - probably. Power increase - negligible at best, especially without other mods/tune.

The following users liked this post:
chink-ah-saur (03-27-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
If you're not going with ART pipes, I'd pay a little extra and get the Labree ones. They sound much nicer.

Trending Topics

Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Roh
ye i was only thinkin of getting the megan ones cuz of the o2 sensor fix already built in, the CEL doesn't really harm the engine or anything eh? i might jus pay more and get the labree ones and do the anti-fouler fix thing

Old 03-27-2012, 12:00 AM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanm8
If you're not going with ART pipes, I'd pay a little extra and get the Labree ones. They sound much nicer.
+1000. I had Labree test pipes before I got ART pipes. Loved the sound!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 AM
right now i've got the megan test pipes on my 05 sedan. my other mods include stillen intake, ichiba Y, md spacer, and a Z midpipe. the test pipes sound ok with my setup now but, they aren't the greatest and i've got a set of md art pipes that i'm going to try out once i get the time. the flex pipe on the megan tp's is leaking and they're pretty much spent. if i rev the engine alittle i can hear them when dropping into the lower rpm's. sounds like a can of beans rattling. i've also got heat wrap around them since i found the leak in the flex pipes.

they tripped my cel when installed and i even used some extensions in the o2 bungs. the car still runs fine and all with the cel on but, i would prefer it to be off. once i get the art pipes installed i'm hoping i can reset my ecu and it be ok.

as far as a raspy sound and all alot of that depends on exhaust piping size. some people who have larger diameter Y pipes have reported rasp but, once the stock Y was put back on the rasp went away. if you've got different sized exhaust throughout the system your exhaust probably isn't going to sound the best anyway.

i picked up my megan test pipes from a local guy who was returning his car to stock so i got a good deal on them. i just wanted to see if they made as much of a difference in power as the md plenum spacer did. the top end power is nice but, i liked the sound of my exhaust better before the megans. hoping the art pipes sound better. anyway, i don't know exactly what you're looking for in terms of power or sound or both or what but, i would say if you want more noticeable power do an intake and plenum spacer. if you've got a sedan and you want a better sound then swap out your mid for a coupe/z mid. also, when i put my ichiba Y i noticed a better exhaust tone as well. the Y was actually off a g37s.

if you're just absolutely set on getting test pipes go with a better sounding brand of pipe that is going to last you the life of your car. if you don't have the money now just save until you do. the wait will be well worth it. just do it right the first time and you'll save yourself time, money, and headaches.

The following users liked this post:
Roh (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
to add a few things,

around 2300 to 4000, they do make a lot of noise. you hear it mostly in the car though. to othes around u out side it sounds good. the noise all i can describe is like engine noise. you cant hear the throaty sound too much. it gets totally drowned out by the noise.

there is also a crap load of rasp when u are close to WOT. when u finally are WOT all u hear is rap

and that is exactly why u need to save for ART pipes. no matter if you are outside or inside you will hear the throaty ness. they might be 500 bucks but u will definitely be only having these on ur G and u wont be buying any other test pipes.

the only reason i still have my Megan pipes is im saving for coil overs. if not id already be rockin ART pipes.

Tony from MD also states with normal test pipes, you get a bit more high end power but lose a bit of low end. With ART pipes though u get proven gains throughout the power band. which is a plus

Last edited by supreme1911; 03-27-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Roh
Originally Posted by funnyscreenname
right now i've got the megan test pipes on my 05 sedan. my other mods include stillen intake, ichiba Y, md spacer, and a Z midpipe. the test pipes sound ok with my setup now but, they aren't the greatest and i've got a set of md art pipes that i'm going to try out once i get the time. the flex pipe on the megan tp's is leaking and they're pretty much spent. if i rev the engine alittle i can hear them when dropping into the lower rpm's. sounds like a can of beans rattling. i've also got heat wrap around them since i found the leak in the flex pipes.

they tripped my cel when installed and i even used some extensions in the o2 bungs. the car still runs fine and all with the cel on but, i would prefer it to be off. once i get the art pipes installed i'm hoping i can reset my ecu and it be ok.

as far as a raspy sound and all alot of that depends on exhaust piping size. some people who have larger diameter Y pipes have reported rasp but, once the stock Y was put back on the rasp went away. if you've got different sized exhaust throughout the system your exhaust probably isn't going to sound the best anyway.

i picked up my megan test pipes from a local guy who was returning his car to stock so i got a good deal on them. i just wanted to see if they made as much of a difference in power as the md plenum spacer did. the top end power is nice but, i liked the sound of my exhaust better before the megans. hoping the art pipes sound better. anyway, i don't know exactly what you're looking for in terms of power or sound or both or what but, i would say if you want more noticeable power do an intake and plenum spacer. if you've got a sedan and you want a better sound then swap out your mid for a coupe/z mid. also, when i put my ichiba Y i noticed a better exhaust tone as well. the Y was actually off a g37s.

if you're just absolutely set on getting test pipes go with a better sounding brand of pipe that is going to last you the life of your car. if you don't have the money now just save until you do. the wait will be well worth it. just do it right the first time and you'll save yourself time, money, and headaches.
that was really helpful man, and you have a good point there, i should get something that will last and not need to be replaced after a little while. looks like i will be saving up for the art pipes

Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Roh
art pipes it is!! sebring muffler + coupe middy + hr y pipe + art pipes (already have the coupe middy and hr y pipe on)

Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 AM
how'd you like the hr Y pipe? i came across the ichiba first so i figured i'd put that on and try it out. i'm still not sure which muffler i want.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
You would definitely benefit from an uprev tune as well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: getting test pipes, few questions