G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Some A-hole keyed my car. What are my options.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Some A-hole keyed my car. What are my options.

Someone keyed the hood of my car (about a meter long across the hood; 1 millimeter in width.Pretty sure its taken off the clear coat as you can feel it with your finger nail.

not sure if its worth filing a claim or just using some touch up paint to fix it. .

I'm not sure what my options are.
Just saw it on my break at work so I'll upload pictures in a bit.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
not cool... Insurance if it really bothers you...

The following users liked this post:
bigjee (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bumped the roof of my car into a low hanging limb and it did basically the same thing. Maybe not as deep as yours. I used Mequiar's Polish and while you can still see it, you really have to be looking for it. I'd say try that first (about $7.00 per bottle if I remember correctly), then proceed as necessary.

Edit: Mequiar's also makes a buffing compound as well if you want to get a little more aggressive with it. I think they used to sell the Buffing Compound and Polish along with the wax as a 3-step kit. Buff, then Polish, then Wax. I think they dropped that idea for some reason.

The following users liked this post:
bigjee (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Thing is Im not a paint expert so I don't know how bad it will get down the road.
Which is kinda why im positng here to get some feedback in case someone has had a common experience.
If it going to get worse later on, like cause rust and what not then I'd rather nip the problem in the bud i.e I dont have a choice but get it fixed.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
i realize you have a 3 foot long scratch, but can try dr colorchips. If anything it will help protect your metal from rust if you don't want to spend the $ to get it painted.

http://drcolorchip.com/

The following 2 users liked this post by Deepdiver:
bigjee (07-17-2012), Hotdawwgman (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjee
Thing is Im not a paint expert so I don't know how bad it will get down the road.
Which is kinda why im positng here to get some feedback in case someone has had a common experience.
If it going to get worse later on, like cause rust and what not then I'd rather nip the problem in the bud i.e I dont have a choice but get it fixed.
Can you post a photo? I'm no expert but I'm sure somebody here can help.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Will do. Just stuck at work. Should be up in a couple of hours.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your hood is aluminum, it will never rust. If its through the clear, it needs to be repainted to be fixed correctly. If its within 6 inches of the sides of the hood, the paint will have to be blended into the quarter panels and those also will need clear. Go get an estimate first and just see what they think before you lose too much sleep and before you make it worse - i've done that before, so its just my opinion.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
No cameras around your work's parking lot to see if you can get an ID on the evil doer?

Might save you a lot of money in the long run...

Old 07-19-2012, 01:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Someone got me from middle of drivers side door all the way to back tail light I feel the pain

Old 07-19-2012, 03:26 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Sucks to hear. My sedan got keyed from headlight to taillight within the first week after I bought it brand new with 15 miles on the odo. The paint was scratched down to metal, so it had to be done through insurance.

What you would want to do really depends on how deep the scratch is.

If you want to get it repaired at a shop through insurance, do not try any quick fixes as most insurance companies typically will not cover it if you've already tried to fix it.

Insurance might be a good option as it might not even raise your premiums at all if you have a good enough record with them, although it is just standard practice that they tell you it will go up. This way, it gets taken care of by a professional shop that will make sure the scratch is gone and your car looks as new as it looked before the incident.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 AM
Originally Posted by geew1z
your hood is aluminum, it will never rust.
Theoretically, this is true. In real life, it just doesn't work that way. Stainless steel isn't supposed to rust either...

Old 07-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
It's always made me wonder what drives people to do stuff like this to someone else's property. Really...is your life that down and dead miserable that you need to take it out on someone else you don't know?

It's a shame. Little things like this make me lose faith in our race. OP, good luck either way.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
Sucks to hear. My sedan got keyed from headlight to taillight within the first week after I bought it brand new with 15 miles on the odo. The paint was scratched down to metal, so it had to be done through insurance.

What you would want to do really depends on how deep the scratch is.

If you want to get it repaired at a shop through insurance, do not try any quick fixes as most insurance companies typically will not cover it if you've already tried to fix it.

Insurance might be a good option as it might not even raise your premiums at all if you have a good enough record with them, although it is just standard practice that they tell you it will go up. This way, it gets taken care of by a professional shop that will make sure the scratch is gone and your car looks as new as it looked before the incident.
Wow, that's screwed up. Keying a car is already bad, but a brand new one with 15 miles on the odometer is just straight wrong.

OP I'd try insurance as well.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
Wow, that's screwed up. Keying a car is already bad, but a brand new one with 15 miles on the odometer is just straight wrong.

OP I'd try insurance as well.
Yea, in the first and last time I've ever parked my G in the Oakland Colosseum parking lot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some A-hole keyed my car. What are my options.