G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Help! Trying to keep a high mileage G35 on the road for another year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
About the shaky idle. Try cleaning your MAF sensor ..

Damn. $5k.. I m scared to know how much my 03.5 w 131k is worth... Lol

Old 07-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left the 2004 G35 with a local mechanic. He's telling me the cooling fan clutch is bad and the struts are shot. I'm going to have him change the water pump for good measure. The mechanic said the car looks good for 143,000 miles and the selling price of $5,000

Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Don't mean to dig up old threads, but dang, $5000 for 04 with 143k? I have 147k I would not sell it for 5k... I think I could get way more, then again, I have maintained the car very well and it's just worth more than 5 to me as it sits.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
That's why I'm gonna drive the car til the wheels fall off.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM
treat these cars right and they'll easily go a half million miles.
does the car have a sport suspension. it's a bit tighter than the regular suspension. mine does, I get a very rough ride over these crappy DC roads. may not be related tho. 5K is a great deal, congrats.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmer1
I left the 2004 G35 with a local mechanic. He's telling me the cooling fan clutch is bad and the struts are shot. I'm going to have him change the water pump for good measure. The mechanic said the car looks good for 143,000 miles and the selling price of $5,000
Not sure I would touch the water pump if you are not having problems with it. I have never heard of any G having problems with water pumps. I have never heard anyone even replacing a water pump on a G.
BTW, my car just turned 213,000 miles and still runs great without any issues and I drive the car very hard.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
That's why I'm gonna drive the car til the wheels fall off.
Here here. I maintain the car far too well to ever get book value and have it be anywhere near what it is worth to me.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by jimNC
Here here. I maintain the car far too well to ever get book value and have it be anywhere near what it is worth to me.
Exactly.

I'm at the point now where every mile i drive just saves me money. I think i can make it to 200K miles and beyond rather easily.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Exactly.

I'm at the point now where every mile i drive just saves me money. I think i can make it to 200K miles and beyond rather easily.
I believe that too. At ~70k I bought 80,000 mile tires (Michelin Hydroedge, I can highly recommend) and figured that would probably be the last set of tires I buy for the car. Now at 149k, I will probably get the same tires again for two reasons: 1) no reason to believe the car won't last that long given its ~10 year history so far and 2) hell, 80k tires don't cost very much more than 50-60k tires from what I can see.

200k seems a certainty for me, the question is how far after that will the life be. Only ongoing issue is oil consumption that started about 17k ago, so I am just living with topping off the oil once in awhile.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by jimNC
I believe that too. At ~70k I bought 80,000 mile tires (Michelin Hydroedge, I can highly recommend) and figured that would probably be the last set of tires I buy for the car. Now at 149k, I will probably get the same tires again for two reasons: 1) no reason to believe the car won't last that long given its ~10 year history so far and 2) hell, 80k tires don't cost very much more than 50-60k tires from what I can see.

200k seems a certainty for me, the question is how far after that will the life be. Only ongoing issue is oil consumption that started about 17k ago, so I am just living with topping off the oil once in awhile.
Even a quart of oil every 1500-2000 miles or so is cheaper than a new car payment. And it's not the biggest issue in the world considering the remedy is to just top off every now and then.

Value of a car past 150K miles is minimal anyway, so selling such a car is usually at a loss when you consider the costs of a replacement vehicle, payments, higher insurance, etc.

I like nice cars, but I also like getting my money's worth out of a car i spent a lot of $$$ on.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
You don't get any value out of the car until its paid off...then the next five years are where it pays you back!

I'm currently at 188K miles on my 2003, still running great. I got a noise in my suspension that is killing me because I can't find it, but other than that its still running perfect.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 PM
You really should not have to add money to keep the car running. If anything, maybe a few hundred dollars in maintenance items. If this was a BMW, it's going to be a much different story.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmer1
This is my first post. I am a relatively new G35 sedan owner. I own a 2007 G35 Sport sedan and most recently purchased a 2004 G35 sedan with 143,000 miles on the odometer for $5,000

Although $5,000 seems like a great deal I may end up having to put more into the car than it is worth. I thought I would ask a few questions here and get some opinions.

The car has new tires and brakes all the way around. The two accessory belts are brand new. The door seals show some age but I do not see any leaks during heavy rain. The interior is pretty good for its age. Everything inside the car is functional. The auto transmission shifts smoothly.

I have no idea what has or hasn't been done to this car over the years. I have the feeling that the original owners just drove it and didn't do much to it as far as maintaining it. The car starts and runs fairly well but I do notice that the car has a slight skip when idling but it idles at a normal RPM on the tach. I plan on changing the spark plugs and PCV valve in the next few weeks and maybe that will cure the slight engine skip sensation I feel at idle. Any other thoughts? I am using a Techron additive over the next several fuel fill-ups.

The larger radiator cooling fan comes on as soon as you start the car and never shuts off until you turn the ignition off. I don't think this is normal but the operating temperature is right at half way on the gauge. Should I be worried about the fact that the cooling fan runs constantly?

When driving the vehicle over small bumps in the road I notice somewhat of a pronounced "thud" under the car. It's like running over railroad tracks. I don't really feel a jolt it just sounds like you are taking a heavy object and striking underneath the car when you hit a bump in the road. Almost like a hard object is hitting the floor pan. This is only when going over bumps and the bumps don't have to be very large. Could this be the control arm bushings that I have read so much about causing this? If so, can the bushings be changed with after-market bushings without having to replace the entire control arm?

My fiance is currently in school and is driving a tremendous amount of miles weekly and I purchased this car for her to hopefully drive for the next year so she doesn't continue to rack up miles on my other vehicles. It would be nice if I could keep this running reliably but the above mentioned items are on my list of questionable repairs that need to be done soon.

Any thoughts on these items and other suggestions for keeping this car running would be appreciated.
Did you solve your issue with the rad cooling fan always on? I drive an '04 and I believe my fan is always on but the temperatures are normal so I don't see a problem.

I've read this from another post "I think the only difference is that the 03-04 had mechanical fans and the 05-06 had electric fans." also "The mechanical fans went away mid year 04, cars without mechanical fans have a different ecu which includes wideband O2 sensors."

Not sure if that helps but it would make sense why the fan is always on if it's being run mechanically.

Make sure your A/C is off, that could be what is keeping the fan on.

Some people call this car "The poor mans bimmer"

Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 AM
Received 355 Likes on 306 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Oh, and about the rough idle: I wonder whether you might want to try a throttle body reset before getting into spending money. See instructions on the last page of the Motordyne plenum spacer manual:

http://motordyneengineering.com/manual.pdf

And while you are on that page, might as well do the ECU reset. It leads to a whole lotta fun. See the following thread on that:

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...resetting.html

HTH. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Received 355 Likes on 306 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Oh, and about the rough idle: I wonder whether you might want to try a throttle body reset before getting into spending money. See instructions on the last page of the Motordyne plenum spacer manual:

http://motordyneengineering.com/manual.pdf

And while you are on that page, might as well do the ECU reset. It leads to a whole lotta fun. See the following thread on that:

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...resetting.html

HTH. Good luck.
Oh man, shoot me. I can't believe I replied to an almost one-year old thread with advice. Gotta pay better attention....