G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

People talk about mods adding power, yet no dynos or track times to support claims?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
BrianV, you obviously never have anything good to say about any mods, or anything done to the G35 by anyone else.

It is obvious you bought the wrong car. If you want results go buy a V8 in a Stang or Fbody or Vette, then you will get much bigger results.

Just a opinion I will make now. I suggest you take your bad comments and leave them on the front door step. Because right this moment you are actually making yourself really look bad. All the mods make some type of power gain in some form or fashion. If they weren't, they would not be selling them. That is why there are so many dyno sheets out there proving this.

Even the grounding kit (I never purchased when I had my G35) is a good mod to smooth the idle, and other things out. Smoother can always lead to a better drivetrain. And in turn will make others think you gained some improvement in the HP, which can be true in some cases. My background is Electronics and Computer Engineering. That is what my degree is in. And I can see how ground wires help. Maybe it's because of my background, but who knows. If you don't understand it, stop thinking it doesn't help others and making them look like they are just making it up!

My .02 cents.
Geeze Russ, can you READ. Did your mom teach you how to read in the 35 years you've lived with your parents? I didn't say mods are worthless and don't make gains. I just stated they don't make AS SIGNIFICANT of gains as they do on most cars. Also, I love my G35, I just happen to prefer it with some stock parts on it over some mod'd parts. I prefer it quieter rather than minorly faster.

Also, how can you sit there and say I bought the wrong car. You had your G35 for like 5 months and then got a new car. This after you had like five new cars in the last three years. What the hell is your problem, why are you so screwed up man?

You seem to contort everything you read into something else. There's no wonder you've been permanently banned from countless automotive sites. It's only a matter of time before the Titan community decides to remove you.

Like I said in the last ten replies to you, DO NOT REPLY TO MY POSTS. Your crap is not necessary and is completely worthless to the community. Go drive your Titan for another month or so and buy another car, just leave me alone.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by SixFive
What is the rationale here? If you can't prove it or don't track it yourself then there is no reason to improve your car's performance and driveabilty? Hogwash my man. Maybe since the folks who track share the results - DaveO doesn't need to spend time at the track - he's probably not into the track - so what!! The track is not the bottom line! ALso if anyone has seen the work and effort and reasonableness with which DaveO presents his findings then it might seem as ridicuoulous to you as it does to me questioning a 260WHP dyno. There is no way you are getting a 260 reading at the wheels on a dyno without mods.

SO whose bitter? It sounds like the people who spent 30k on mods to learn that they could have been a little more effective. Now they want to suggest that ALL MODS ARE BAD. Horespuckey. Wow, it's like the French. You can show them the satellite photo at the Bay of Pigs, but they'll still deny that Cuba was sporting Russian nukes! There are people who will always say prove it even in the face of proof I suppose. I like the frugal approach to modding but the no mods ever approach to a bit closed minded for me. Try and drive a modded G and then decide...
I don't think anyone here is supporting the NO MODS EVER approach. I think they're trying to state that buyer beware, not all mods are extremely beneficial.

Old 01-19-2005, 03:13 PM
I don't think anyone here is supporting the NO MODS EVER approach. I think they're trying to state that buyer beware, not all mods are extremely beneficial.
That's about the best advice anyone here can offer. Do be skeptical and do be wary of claims. I guess after having been here for 2 years or so I realize who adds value to this site and find that thier words and reviews regarding the mods that interested me were valuable to no end. I'm fortuante that there are pioneering souls here that make my life easier and I am indebted to them since my modding has been so paineless and I believe effective. I will say the 6MT's do not need grounding gear and have less room to get to that NA limit. The 298 hp rating of the 05 6MT I believe reflects that the manuals are mapped to get more HP from the beginning - they just never told us that in 03-04..IMO.

Old 01-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Well the 05's have a modified block and head (or at least block). They were able to squeeze a few more RPM out of the new engine and thus probably made significant changes to the ECU. I don't think they made any changes to the intake, the plenum, or the exhaust, but I really haven't been following the 05 info as much as I should. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Old 01-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, doug is almost done building his 300hp at crank NA motor....

thats what im modding towards. and you know what, im glad that i spent my money on a car that is so well built from the factory. but you know what else, i like to personalize my stuff. ive been modding everything ive owned since i was a kid. from tamiya cars to rollerblades.

but one thing for me is that half the mods on my car were free. =)

Old 01-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianV
Agreed. I don't want to spend $900 on a catback that's only going to net me 6-7whp along with increased noise. If I wanted easy HP and noise, I'd install a $40 dump pipe before the resonator and open her up at the track. I'd get 6-7whp and all the noise

Like Brian had stated earlier, we both have learned what seems to work with these motors and what doesn't. I like bang for the buck gains as much as the other guy, but I'm to the point where I'm not willing to risk annoying noise, rattles, fitment, and other issues that typically arise out of a many of the available mods. A $180 Y-pipe for a 95-98 Maxima is an instant 12whp/15wtq and 95% of that gain doesn't come from the mandrel bends and smoother pipe, it comes from removing the precats that sit in the OEM y-pipe upstream of the main cat. On the G/Z 3.5 VQ, there are only two main cats and they're upstream of the y-pipe. I've studied the pics of the stock G/Z y-pipe, and while ugly, it doesn't look like it would hamper flow that much. It has "crimp" bends, but they're not as bad as people want you to believe. After looking at the dynos, it looks like these $350 G/Z y-pipes make a whopping 3-5whp and at only select portions of power curve. For the added noise, potential rattles/vibrations, and hilarously expensive cost, I'm resistent to do it. I will do the Z tube because it's cheap, does make some power, and most importantly it gives me a little more growl from the VQ which is I do like and the induction noise is dependant on throttle application above 3000rpms which is good. At cruise you can't hear anything.

People that know me, know I'm pessemistic and I require proof when it comes to stuff like this. I'm probably one of the most hated and most liked members at Maxima.org, but everyone knows who Dave B is. I don't require people to demand the same things I want, but I will question certain information at times because I know better, but some other members don't. These are the guys that will get "taken" and waste their money. I'm not saying I'm some sort of "modifcation" cop, but if something appears to be too good to be true, chances are is.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:32 PM
On the G/Z 3.5 VQ, there are only two main cats and they're upstream of the y-pipe. I've studied the pics of the stock G/Z y-pipe, and while ugly, it doesn't look like it would hamper flow that much. It has "crimp" bends, but they're not as bad as people want you to believe. After looking at the dynos, it looks like these $350 G/Z y-pipes make a whopping 3-5whp and at only select portions of power curve. For the added noise, potential rattles/vibrations, and hilarously expensive cost, I'm resistent to do it.
Well wouldn't you know it we agreed on something! The Y seems a bit much for me too. I hear that rasp is an issue and that fitment to the mid-pipe creates another bottleneck. For 300 bucks I can save 3/5 of the TS upgrade for a rainy day. I like the crawdord 300NA plan but the headers are a major expense and the issues that the ecu may have with CEL lights and whatnot sound like a PITA.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Exactly!!!

Old 01-19-2005, 06:11 PM
"Well the 05's have a modified block and head (or at least block). They were able to squeeze a few more RPM out of the new engine and thus probably made significant changes to the ECU. I don't think they made any changes to the intake, the plenum, or the exhaust, but I really haven't been following the 05 info as much as I should."

I've yet to hear any of this. I believe the only changes made to the 05 are in the area of 'Variable Exhaust Timing'.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:16 PM
The modified block is on the 298 hp versions. I'm trying to remember where I read it.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Also, a electronic valve controled exhaust and a structurely reinforced block on the 298hp versions.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Found it:

"The G35 Coupe 6MT model receives an additional 18-plus horsepower and a red line increase to 7,000 rpm compared to the automatic transmission-equipped G35 coupes’ standard 280 horsepower and 6,600 rev limit, bringing its power to 298-horsepower. The extra power comes from the addition of electronic exhaust valve timing and numerous structural improvements to the engine block. Torque is rated at 270 lb-ft for the G35 Coupe and 260 lb-ft for the G35 Coupe 6MT."

Source:
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti...escription.htm

Old 01-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Premier Member

Geeze Russ, can you READ. Did your mom teach you how to read in the 35 years you've lived with your parents? I didn't say mods are worthless and don't make gains. I just stated they don't make AS SIGNIFICANT of gains as they do on most cars. Also, I love my G35, I just happen to prefer it with some stock parts on it over some mod'd parts. I prefer it quieter rather than minorly faster.

Also, how can you sit there and say I bought the wrong car. You had your G35 for like 5 months and then got a new car. This after you had like five new cars in the last three years. What the hell is your problem, why are you so screwed up man?

You seem to contort everything you read into something else. There's no wonder you've been permanently banned from countless automotive sites. It's only a matter of time before the Titan community decides to remove you.

Like I said in the last ten replies to you, DO NOT REPLY TO MY POSTS. Your crap is not necessary and is completely worthless to the community. Go drive your Titan for another month or so and buy another car, just leave me alone.

I can read, and to what I see I was right on everything I said. Just pointing out the obvious. I had my G35 for 8 months or so. It was a great car and I would own one again if my job let me. I had to get the Titan because of my job duties require a truck pretty much. Actually, I am not banned from any sites anymore. Obviously you have no clue what you heard or have heard. Rumors are always lies. So what if I switch cars often. You do as well. From your Max to a Lexus to a Mazda protege, to the G35. I mean really, 4 cars in a year time. LOL.

Sad but I get along with everyone on the Titan forum, as long as the Max owners have no clue who I am, I don't get bothered. Funny part is, I am one of the highly recommended users on the Titan forums for information and good posts. Weird.

Sorry if I replied to your post, thought this was a public forum. I must be mistaken.

Oh Brian, go cry to your Max boys like you always do about me. So you can have them come in here and get banned again and attack me.

Last edited by G35_TX; 01-19-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
I can read, and to what I see I was right on everything I said. Just pointing out the obvious. I had my G35 for 8 months or so. It was a great car and I would own one again if my job let me. I had to get the Titan because of my job duties require a truck pretty much. Actually, I am not banned from any sites anymore. Obviously you have no clue what you heard or have heard. Rumors are always lies. So what if I switch cars often. You do as well. From your Max to a Lexus to a Mazda protege, to the G35. I mean really, 4 cars in a year time. LOL.

Sad but I get along with everyone on the Titan forum, as long as the Max owners have no clue who I am, I don't get bothered. Funny part is, I am one of the highly recommended users on the Titan forums for information and good posts. Weird.

Sorry if I replied to your post, thought this was a public forum. I must be mistaken.

Oh Brian, go cry to your Max boys like you always do about me. So you can have them come in here and get banned again and attack me.
Oh wow, 8 months sorry. That's about your average. Also I haven't owned a Maxima since 2002, I had a LS400 for well over a year (and it was really old and I needed a new car not a 130k miled car), had a Mazdaspeed for 1 month (decided it wasn't for me). You on the other hand have decided 10 cars weren't for you in 3 years time. (Maxima, Trans-Am, CL-S, A4 1.8t, TrailBlazer, Pathfinder, G35, Titan, and a brief stint with a golf or jetta or something, all since 2002). Sorry I correct myself, 8 (9 if you include the Jetta/Golf) in like 3 years time.

Also, there were several posts saying the reason you dumped your car was because of the tranny problems you had and how you didn't trust the car or something like that. I encourage you to try and come back to maxima.org, if they know your identity you will be insta-banned I'm sure, so don't tell me you're not banned from there. I bet if you actively posted on the IS300 boards or the TL boards you'd be banned in a matter of no time (again).

Blah Blah, it's the same story everytime with you. You have absolutely NO life, you still live with your parents (aren't you pushing like 38 years old now), and you carry thousands and thousands of dollars of negative equity from vehicle to vehicle. Trading in a $29k stickerd Pathfinder for $15k, less then a year later is a real smooth move. I lost all of $500 when I traded in my Mazdaspeed. I mean you had to pay me for a $175 stillen cab in multiple payments (over two months), how sad is that? Get a grip on your life, move out, and get some mental and economic stability before you ridicule me. You're the poorest example of a car enthusiast and a pretty lousy example of a human in general. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

Last edited by BrianV; 01-19-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Official List:

1) 1996 Maxima auto
2) 1998 Maxima manual (Wanted a 5-speed)
3) 1999 Trans Am manual (Wanted more power)
4) 2000 Maxima auto (Back to wanting reliability after LS1 motor issues)
5) 1991 Sentra SE-R (To be used for track purposes)
6) 2001 Sentra [To consolidate payments/save money along with buying 5)]
7) 2001 Maxima manual (In a few months, all kinds of money must have been saved; but denied warranty after racing)
x) 2002 Jetta 1.8T (Ordered but did not purchase after having manhood made fun of)
8) 2002 Acura CL-S auto (February 2002; Cracuras ROCK!; blew tranny, couldn't fit 17" CRT in back seat)
x) 2002 Chevy Trailblazer (Returned after a day of ownership)
9) 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro manual (February 2003; minor accident, realized/perceived it was/would be unreliable, couldn't haul cargo, BLAH BLAH BLAH, traded)
10) 2003 Pathfinder LE 4x2 (July 2003, big accident shortly thereafter)
11) 2004 Infiniti G35 6spd (February 2004; Blew 6th gear from "skip-shifting", second tranny grinded in 2nd; Infiniti dealer "sucked")
12) 2004 Nissan Titan (October 2004; A return to Nissan, inexplicably. Boss "forced" him to get a truck)

Yes folks thats FOURTEEN vehicles since '97, counting the TWO he returned.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: People talk about mods adding power, yet no dynos or track times to support claims?