G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

People talk about mods adding power, yet no dynos or track times to support claims?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shodog
This thread is a testament to the idiocy of you two. You guys should have taken this offline a long time ago.

What a waste of cyberspace for this thread! Shodog seems to have injected the only other bit of useful info.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:20 PM
I dont have any sound clips but it sounds like the coupe no doubt. Also the Z tube takes up all the sound waves at 3500+ rpm. The cabin noise is a bit higher at lower rpm's but in no way ghetto and not too bad..its sounds great.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BbyG35
What a waste of cyberspace for this thread! Shodog seems to have injected the only other bit of useful info.
I hate to be an A$$ but these two guys with their bickering ruined a good thread. Pretty much everyone has stated what has been generally know all along.

1. Our N/A G35 already comes from the factory in a high state of tune. It has a balance of performance and economy.

2. N/A cars are expensive to modify

3. the gains made by bolt on mods don't have a good value of money spent versus HP gains made.

I agree with all the above. I applaud people who go and and act as test dummies for mods. Their pioneering and perserverance is a tremendous resource for us slacker modifiers to sit back and see what works and what doesn't.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by shodog
I hate to be an A$$ but these two guys with their bickering ruined a good thread. Pretty much everyone has stated what has been generally know all along.

1. Our N/A G35 already comes from the factory in a high state of tune. It has a balance of performance and economy.

2. N/A cars are expensive to modify

3. the gains made by bolt on mods don't have a good value of money spent versus HP gains made.

I agree with all the above. I applaud people who go and and act as test dummies for mods. Their pioneering and perserverance is a tremendous resource for us slacker modifiers to sit back and see what works and what doesn't.
What you say is a summary of what I've been saying on this thread. The problem is, even slacker modifiers can't figure out the truth because there are too many differences of opinions and nothing conclusive. That goes back to DaveB's original post, how come there's no real proof.

Sorry for ruining the thread

Old 01-20-2005, 04:58 PM
I myself, was willing to put up with the added noise that the Stillen dual cat-back offered. Most mods will give you a trade-off: ride comfort vs tight handling, increased intake/exhaust noise vs performance, etc.

Like I've said in earlier threads when this subject comes up. The best mods are the ones which make you feel good about the money spent... and that is totally subjective. For those willing to research the heck out of any planned mod.. that's cool too.

I'm happy with what I've done so far. There are some who question why mod a car which is already top of its class (their and my opinion). Bottom line is I wanted to give my car its own personality with mine interjected.

btw... dyno resuts to date put me at 246hp at the wheels.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:00 PM
FYI... that increased hp equates to about US$1000

Old 01-20-2005, 06:42 PM
I myself, was willing to put up with the added noise that the Stillen dual cat-back offered. Most mods will give you a trade-off: ride comfort vs tight handling, increased intake/exhaust noise vs performance, etc.

Like I've said in earlier threads when this subject comes up. The best mods are the ones which make you feel good about the money spent... and that is totally subjective. For those willing to research the heck out of any planned mod.. that's cool too.

I'm happy with what I've done so far. There are some who question why mod a car which is already top of its class (their and my opinion). Bottom line is I wanted to give my car its own personality with mine interjected.

btw... dyno resuts to date put me at 246hp at the wheels.
You're at 246 with stillen exhaust and z-tube or intake right? That's very consistent with what I've seen. 6MT's made 245-248 WHP with the stillen exhaust, yet if you add all the other stuff, headers, cats, plenums, crank pulleys you still only make just under 250 WHP. The Stillen exhaust is a winner for power making, just make sure you can live with the noise.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:36 PM
OK, I think my G idles just fine. But , what is this grounding kit I keep reading about? Also, I have a K & N drop in air filter. Some people have talked about modifying the air plenum that the filter fits in. What do you do to that plenum? Thanks.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Noise from exhaust can be somewhat tamed by increasing sound deadening in certain areas. For instance, I find that considerable road noise coming into the cabin from the area of the rear wheel wells -- particularly noticeable on wet roads.

One cure I'm looking at is a product called "Brown Bread" which is a light-weight insulation. I'll also test other areas with this product to see its effect on exhaust drone. Anyone else experimented with this???

Old 01-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL G35sedanman

Old 01-21-2005, 02:02 AM
[QUOTE=BbyG35]One cure I'm looking at is a product called "Brown Bread" which is a light-weight insulation. QUOTE]

This appears to be a common complaint. Noise coming from rear wheel area especially when driving on wet roads. Let us know how your insulation material works out. I too am a fan of low noise inside the car.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Noise from exhaust can be somewhat tamed by increasing sound deadening in certain areas. For instance, I find that considerable road noise coming into the cabin from the area of the rear wheel wells -- particularly noticeable on wet roads.

One cure I'm looking at is a product called "Brown Bread" which is a light-weight insulation. I'll also test other areas with this product to see its effect on exhaust drone. Anyone else experimented with this???
There's a lot of people who have done this (search brown bead). They all state it helps make tihngs quieter, but still doesn't come close to taming the exhaust. I'm considering doing it just for the road noise clean-up now that I'm back on stock exhaust.

Old 01-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Man, I must be use to my old Maxima's road noise because I find my G35 to be far more quiet on any road surface or condition. I don't have any compliants of road noise coming from anywhere on the car. I don't have to use much volume of the stereo to achieve my desired listening level.

Old 01-21-2005, 02:24 PM
You're right Dave, it is quiet (even compared to my g/f's Camry), but go drive in a Lexus LS (or even GS) model, it's quite a bit quieter.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Well, reading this thread pretty much exhausted me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: People talk about mods adding power, yet no dynos or track times to support claims?