G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Newbie here. Need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
I thought we should be changing oil at 3.75k miles...

Anywho, I think a little burn off is expected no matter what car you have; especially if it is right before service is due. I would like to see a clearer picture, though.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
You can change it at 3750 if you use dino oil. If you use synthetic you are wasting your money. You can get at least 5k out of synthetic. But, let's not get into that because it has been discussed more times then Carter has liver pills.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by rsingerG35
I can't see anything in the picture. After 4k it seems normal to burn off some oil. Was the dipstick inserted all the way? Level ground? Was it cold or hot when you took it? Leaks? It depends a lot on how you check your oil also.
I marked the picture for you. It was inserted all the way. Flat surface. Cold engine, 3-4 hrs of sitting. No leaks.

Since it was too low, I topped it off.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie here. Need advice-a9axjarcqaems1v.jpg  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks. Yeah thats a little low. I would take it for a drive, let it sit for 15 min, then check it. You'll get a better reading. Did you verify it was full when you changed your oil? Is this your first time checking it since it was changed? I check my oil weekly because you don't want to wait until it gets that low. Plus it's the easiest thing to do. But it is normal to burn some oil, and after 4k thats a good while.

But your owner's manual will tell you the proper way to check it. It does matter how it's checked.

But honestly I wouldn't worry. Just check it weekly and monitor it.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Would a dealer actually mess with the car?

Let me start by saying that I am not trying to frame anyone but I will be talking about my experience with a dealer in North Jersey.

I went to this place for a safety recall where they replaced a connector.

1) For the first appointment, they did not have the part, so they ordered and I had to go to that place again.

2) I was told an hour job but it took 3 hours.

3) They inspected the car for free and gave me an estimate with a report. This was complimentary since I did not ask for such a thing.

4) They actually gave me the report in hand, sent me 3 emails with the same report and telling me how crucial is to get these defects fixed. They also called me 4 times to schedule an appointment until I tell them not to call me again !

5) The prices were ridiculous as you may guess. $500 for the 3rd brake light, $185 for drive belts, almost $500 for 2 TPMS sensors along with a bunch of other stuff. This part, I'm not saying anything. They can ask for whatever they want.

6) They told me that my positive battery terminal is corroded and needs to be replaced also. The problem is; I never had a problem with my battery until I went to that dealership. A week later, I started to have electrical problems. The alarm system was preventing the car from working etc. After a couple days of inspection, I found the problem as a LOOSE BATTERY TERMINALS !!!

I also did not have any problem after tightening the terminals !

Am I being paranoid? or would they actually do such a thing?

Last edited by Ultraslan-ny; 12-08-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ultraslan-ny
Let me start by saying that I am not trying to frame anyone but I will be talking about my experience with Fette Infiniti, NJ.

I went to this place for a safety recall where they replaced a connector.

1) For the first appointment, they did not have the part, so they ordered and I had to go to that place again. This could be common, sometimes not all parts are on hand

2) I was told an hour job but it took 3 hours.
hmmmm suprising, but they did an inspection also you said, so that might be the extra time to get the whole car finished

3) They inspected the car for free and gave me an estimate with a report. This was complimentary since I did not ask for such a thing.

4) They actually gave me the report in hand, sent me 3 emails with the same report and telling me how crucial is to get these defects fixed. They also called me 4 times to schedule an appointment until I tell them not to call me again !
This would seem to go against Infiniti policy, seems over kill

5) The prices were ridiculous as you may guess. $500 for the 3rd brake light, $185 for drive belts, almost $500 for 2 TPMS sensors along with a bunch of other stuff. This part, I'm not saying anything. They can ask for whatever they want.
Prices varry.... and they can recommend all day long....

6) They told me that my positive battery terminal is corroded and needs to be replaced also. The problem is; I never had a problem with my battery until I went to that dealership. A week later, I started to have electrical problems. The alarm system was preventing the car from working etc. After a couple days of inspection, I found the problem as a LOOSE BATTERY TERMINALS !!!

this is what I have a problem with, if they said your terminals were corroded, seems to me they would DEFINITELY have identified a loose terminal and tighten it up, without charge.... I would not think this was done deliberately as it would definitely throw up red flags, and Infiniti service doesn't need something like that coming down on them, I would however contact the service manager and present your feelings on the matter and let him know how you feel, he definitely doesn't want it spread around even if only rumor that can damage a dealership for years to come.... but if I had to lay money on it, I would lay money on it's just an extreme coincidence, I know my terminals were corroded and then one day the car wouldn't start, and found it to be loose, cut it off replaced and no more trouble.... just my 2 lincolns

I also did not have any problem after tightening the terminals !

Am I being paranoid? or would they actually do such a thing?
I hope you're being paranoid, let us know what the service manager says.....

Old 12-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Would the dealer mess with your car? No. Would they lie to make money? YES. If you want to be sure. Ask them to show you it is broken. They said I had bad bushings. I didn't believe it because I had a mechanic inspect my car. They showed me, but the bushings were in perfect shape and they couldn't explain it to me.

Last edited by rsingerG35; 12-07-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:37 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
Thumbs up

Would the dealer mess with your car? No. Would they lie to make money? YES. If you want to be sure. Ask them to show you it is broken. They said I had bad bushings. I didn't believe it because I had a mechanic inspect my car. They showed me, but the bushings were in perfect shape and they couldn't explain it to me.
some pretty harsh words Richard.... but some places I know have, like when they told my mom she needed her muffler bearings replaced, and then when I showed up the employee ran, and manager said there's no one by that name....
but Infiniti.... I have to say no I would like to believe they wouldnt......

Old 12-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Sorry Phil. It's the hard truth. Not all dealerships are truthful.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 PM
This was a while ago. I now have time to think and write about it. Therefore I have no chance to go back and ask.

I hope too that it was just a coincidence where my positive battery terminal becomes loose a week after it being marked as "corroded".

However, its been over a month since I tightened the terminals, and they are solid as a rock.

Maybe the employee who inspected it, forgot to tighten it back? Or maybe he saw that it was loose but did not care to tighten it because I did not pay for it?

Either way. I don't like the smell of it.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am wrong. The world suppose to be a nice place to live in. Right?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Does it look corroded at all? If so use a wire brush and clean them. Then pick up some terminal grease from Autozone.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Sorry Phil. It's the hard truth. Not all dealerships are truthful.
I have to believe Infiniti does not want that kind of reputation. Sure, they may try to sell you something you may not need, but I doubt their going to sabotage your car just to perform a service.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
i could see an independent shop owner doing stuff like this but at a dealer i dont see why they would mess with peoples cars to get more money from repairs cus the tech aint gonna see a dime from it aside from his usual salary. but would they over exaggerate an issue?..possibly but they usually over estimate an issue cus they want to fix every little thing imo lol

Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
My 04 auto had an oil consumption issue, but it slowly got worse from 60k miles up until my 80k mile mark where i was burning more and more oil. It ended up doing 1 qt every 250 miles. Obviously you don't have that issue, but keep monitoring it like people said. I had to replace my shortblock with one with upgraded piston rings. That's what my OC was caused by.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie here. Need advice