G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Newbie here. Need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Newbie here. Need advice

Hello all,

I have just switched from Passat to G35X.

My car is an 04 G35X Automatic with 76K on it.

Here is so far what I have done;

1) I have changed the oil with Castrol Edge Synt. I believe its among the best.

2) 4 rotors and brake pads. I chose Centric Premiums since they are practically R1 Concepts w/o drills right?

3) One of the wheel bearings with timken. most likely the right one. Any idea how to be sure about it? 2 different mecs say different things.

(2-3 will be applied by tomorrow)

4) Most importantly,

I have no record of any kind of oil change but I know the car was in Brooklyn for a while. Do you think if a dealer (probably the one in Brooklyn) pull up the records and tell me ?

5) What should I do with my tranny oil? I think its just a little bit jerky. I cant actually tell if its OK to jerk just a little? I can't really say anything since I switched from DSG tranny. Let's say when I either R or D when starts, I feel a tiny jerk. Also I can barely feel when the tranny shifts when I'm moving. Is it normal? Should I change my tranny oil ? Again no records of previous oil changes.

6) Diff oil? What should I do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to start with all kind of questions in once. I did a search on the forum but couldn't them all.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Ultraslan-ny
Hello all,

I have just switched from Passat to G35X.

My car is an 04 G35X Automatic with 76K on it.

Here is so far what I have done;

1) I have changed the oil with Castrol Edge Synt. I believe its among the best. My favorite as well.

2) 4 rotors and brake pads. I chose Centric Premiums since they are practically R1 Concepts w/o drills right? R1 uses Centric blanks not the other way around.

3) One of the wheel bearings with timken. most likely the right one. Any idea how to be sure about it? 2 different mecs say different things. Not sure what you are asking here.

(2-3 will be applied by tomorrow)

4) Most importantly,

I have no record of any kind of oil change but I know the car was in Brooklyn for a while. Do you think if a dealer (probably the one in Brooklyn) pull up the records and tell me ? Any Infiniti dealer can pull up service records done at any Infiniti dealership in the country.

5) What should I do with my tranny oil? I think its just a little bit jerky. I cant actually tell if its OK to jerk just a little? I can't really say anything since I switched from DSG tranny. Let's say when I either R or D when starts, I feel a tiny jerk. Also I can barely feel when the tranny shifts when I'm moving. Is it normal? Should I change my tranny oil ? Again no records of previous oil changes. I recommend doing a "drain and fill" every 30K miles. Hopefully you can pull up any service done as said above. The small jerk is normal and our trannys shift very softly so you're OK there. Don't be alarmed if you have a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd, to have more control and fun use the manumatic mode to drive.

6) Diff oil? What should I do about it? I change mine every 60K but some here do it more often.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to start with all kind of questions in once. I did a search on the forum but couldn't them all.
Answers in red, hope they help.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
When I shift D---R or R----D or even from P----D or P----R it always gives me a touchy jerk. I assume this is normal as I've driven other G's with the same issue.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's encouraging to see this - I am a fairly new G35X owner as well, and wondered the same things.
I just needed someone to ask because I'm a huge *****.

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would definitely see if any services were done and recorded in the dealer system. How did you buy a car with no record of oil changes? Anyway, the issue of auto trans fluid is an interesting one. Although a lot of manufacturers say you don't need to change for a long time since they are sealed systems, all chemicals break down. I had to get rid of a car because I listened to that advice and then it was too late to change the fluid. Often when you change it after it has never been done, crap clogs all the solenoids or their equivalent, and your transmission fails! You are probably okay but I would change it with the knowledge that if you have no records, you may be playing russian roulette with the trans.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 PM
well, Brooklyn Infiniti dealer confirmed that the car was never been on the dealership. So that means the car did not stop by any of the dealerships? Even during the warranty period?

I got the car from a used car dealership in Brooklyn even without the key for the rims and users manual !!! I had to break them in order to change my tires.

Also a Nissan Dealer in NJ advised me to change all the fluids...

ATF and Trans case drain and refill

Front and Rear Differential drain and refill

Power Steering flush

Coolant flush.

About the coolant he said if its blue, its the long-life coolant which I might not due yet. Is this correct?

again the car is 76K. You think they all are due ?

Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultraslan-ny
well, Brooklyn Infiniti dealer confirmed that the car was never been on the dealership. So that means the car did not stop by any of the dealerships? Even during the warranty period?

I got the car from a used car dealership in Brooklyn even without the key for the rims and users manual !!! I had to break them in order to change my tires.

Also a Nissan Dealer in NJ advised me to change all the fluids...

ATF and Trans case drain and refill

Front and Rear Differential drain and refill

Power Steering flush

Coolant flush.

About the coolant he said if its blue, its the long-life coolant which I might not due yet. Is this correct?

again the car is 76K. You think they all are due ?
Mine is 2004 also. Bought it new. Joined this forum many moons ago. When doing maintenance, both the year of the car and its mileage have to taken into consideration. Looks like your car has been neglected to a certain degree since it has never been to a dealer for service!!! Everything you mentioned above should have been done!. The original color of coolant was orange and it should be changed several years ago (5 years)! There is no front differential, only rear. I would change the 2 belts also. Check your radiator hose for any soft spots. They are easy to change and you do it while flushing your coolants. By the way, after you replace your tranny fluid, you will feel the much smoother shifting!

Power steering and coolants you can do yourself. The rest should let the dealer do it if you have never done it before. My 0.02

Last edited by KingoftheRoad1; 08-23-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KingoftheRoad1
Mine is 2004 also. Bought it new. Joined this forum many moons ago. When doing maintenance, both the year of the car and its mileage have to taken into consideration. Looks like your car has been neglected to a certain degree since it has never been to a dealer for service!!! Everything you mentioned above should have been done!. The original color of coolant was orange and it should be changed several years ago (5 years)! There is no front differential, only rear. I would change the 2 belts also. Check your radiator hose for any soft spots. They are easy to change and you do it while flushing your coolants. By the way, after you replace your tranny fluid, you will feel the much smoother shifting!

Power steering and coolants you can do yourself. The rest should let the dealer do it if you have never done it before. My 0.02
If he has a G35x there is definitely a front differential. There is also a transfer case that you can change the fluid in. When my car hit 60k I had a mechanic I trust change all the diffs, t-case, and trans fluid. He dropped the trans pan and changed the filter also. I think all that and a oil change came to like $600. There was a noticeable difference changing all the fluids to full synthetics in how well the car rolled. Go ahead and change any fluid that you feel comfortable to do yourself. It will only improve the life of those components.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Camber issue urgent

Hello,

I stopped by sears today for wheel alignment.

Unfortunately they were not able to do it due to the fact that i need camber adjustment first.

LF : +0.9
RF: -3.0

I have no idea what to do. Do you know where can get this fixed beside the stealerships? Is it an adjustment or a replacement? If so approx how much?

Thank you.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Can you give us more info such as what suspension you have, tire wear, etc, and a scan of the alignment sheet?

Old 08-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Everything stock on the car... 04 G35X .... Brand new dws tires, rotors, brakes and one front wheel bearing....

I will try to send you the scan sheet

Old 08-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Well. I'm gonna have to say false alert.

Sears just estimated wrong I guess. After sears I went to Pepboys and they put the car on the machine and it came out much better than what Sears reported.

After alignment its smooth, no sound anything. And on the scan sheet, only left tires are off by .1 degrees from the acceptable...which I can live with it...

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Update: Surprisingly I found out that I do have the stick for tranny and we checked the fluid with a Pepboys mechanic and he said its OK. (actually 3 different people said it was OK previously)

I just had to see myself. The result; it was definitely serviced before and we believe recently. The oil looked and smelled good/clean.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM
How to cover the wires for O2 sensors

Hello all,

Couple days ago, during the heavy rain, my SES light came on and I pulled P0138 and P0158. These belong to O2 sensors and high voltage problems. I erased the codes, they never came on again.

I was curious about the cause of the problem and I lifted the car. Apparently the wires and the connectors for the O2 sensors are literally exposed. Would this be the reason for SES light?

I put some grease on them to prevent the water from getting inside. I'm not sure if this solved the problem, time will tell but I need a permanent solution. Any idea?

I was thinking about taping but the heat from exhaust will definitely melt the tape.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie here. Need advice