G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

'06x Front Suspension Opinions - KYB Struts, Compression Rods, etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
'06x Front Suspension Opinions - KYB Struts, Compression Rods, etc.

OK, here's the deal. My G has 80K on her and the front compression bushings creak like crazy, so I'm planning to replace the complete rod assembly on each side to eliminate down time - it's my DD and I really don't have access to another car. I also want to lower the G just a bit in the front, so I'm planning to swap in a set of OEM coupe springs.

Anyway, if I had another complete assembly ready to swap in at the same time, it would defintely save me a few headaches. So, I was thinking of buying the KYB GR2/Excel-G struts, new OEM upper strut mounts, and assembling them with the coupe springs ahead of time so I could R&R my compression arms and shocks/struts in an afternoon. So my question is - has anyone used the KYB struts on the front of their X, and how well do they ride? Any thoughts/opinions about my plan?

Old 11-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I've got them on my coupe. My OEMs weren't shot, but there was a difference. I can't say it's good or bad. I feel like it's more stable in the corners but came at the cost of less compliant ride (more damping? I dunno).

For the price they are great IMO.

The following users liked this post:
The Fixer (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I thought aftermarket front struts for the X model weren't available other than OEM?

I would like to replace mine eventually and would prob just do the rears for now unless there are now aftermarket options for the front.

I don't want to lower the car...i just want to replace worn out stuff with new stuff

Old 11-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I thought aftermarket front struts for the X model weren't available other than OEM?

I would like to replace mine eventually and would prob just do the rears for now unless there are now aftermarket options for the front.

I don't want to lower the car...i just want to replace worn out stuff with new stuff
KYB does have them listed on their site, P/N 341380 for front left and 341479 for the front right. TireRack has them listed also for the X, as the regular sedan ones have different part numbers. Looks promising, as long as they ride as well as the OEMs.

Mustang5L5 (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Just checked rockauto.com

KYB rear shocks for AWD $34 each (RWD was different p/ns based on sport or non-sport)
KYB front struts for AWD $98 each

Toss in he rockauto 5% discount and it's $250 + shipping there.

Just checked tirerack and they want $101 for the rear shocks, and don't list the front struts. (at least when i checked)

Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Just checked rockauto.com

KYB rear shocks for AWD $34 each (RWD was different p/ns based on sport or non-sport)
KYB front struts for AWD $98 each

Toss in he rockauto 5% discount and it's $250 + shipping there.

Just checked tirerack and they want $101 for the rear shocks, and don't list the front struts. (at least when i checked)
Not bad from RockAuto - I might pull the trigger on it soon. I found a local guy selling coupe front springs, so if I order up new struts, tops, and the compression rods ahead of time I can swap it all in a few hours on a weekend. I still wish there was an X driver or two that had some opinions on how well the KYBs ride compared to the OEM struts. At least the feedback from AuAltima is good on the coupe version.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the KYB struts with OEM coupe springs on the front of my 05 X. It lowered it to have even gap front and rear. The car handles better in the corners, but I don't notice a difference in strut damping. Seems same as stock. You will be happy if you are looking for same as stock feel. I used my stock tops. I have 160,000 km's on the car, and the top strut stops were fine.

The Fixer (11-03-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS
OK, here's the deal. My G has 80K on her and the front compression bushings creak like crazy, so I'm planning to replace the complete rod assembly on each side to eliminate down time - it's my DD and I really don't have access to another car. I also want to lower the G just a bit in the front, so I'm planning to swap in a set of OEM coupe springs.

Anyway, if I had another complete assembly ready to swap in at the same time, it would defintely save me a few headaches. So, I was thinking of buying the KYB GR2/Excel-G struts, new OEM upper strut mounts, and assembling them with the coupe springs ahead of time so I could R&R my compression arms and shocks/struts in an afternoon. So my question is - has anyone used the KYB struts on the front of their X, and how well do they ride? Any thoughts/opinions about my plan?
Note that you do not need to replace the complete compression rod unless it's damaged, The bushings can be replaced alone and save you some dough that you can then put towards sway bar endlinks, which probably also need replaced.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Cpoups
I have the KYB struts with OEM coupe springs on the front of my 05 X. It lowered it to have even gap front and rear. The car handles better in the corners, but I don't notice a difference in strut damping. Seems same as stock. You will be happy if you are looking for same as stock feel. I used my stock tops. I have 160,000 km's on the car, and the top strut stops were fine.
Awesome, glad to hear it! That's exactly the look I had in mind - just get rid of the front gap to even it with the rear.

Originally Posted by socketz67
Note that you do not need to replace the complete compression rod unless it's damaged, The bushings can be replaced alone and save you some dough that you can then put towards sway bar endlinks, which probably also need replaced.
True enough. My problem is down time - I can't have any, and if I can't locate a machine shop with a press to swap the bushings in my original arms I'll be screwed. I figure if I'm saving labor costs by doing it myself I can spend a little extra on parts LOL.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Here are some pics of my car with the coupe springs front and stock rear. https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-...ight=vmr+sedan

Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS
Awesome, glad to hear it! That's exactly the look I had in mind - just get rid of the front gap to even it with the rear.

True enough. My problem is down time - I can't have any, and if I can't locate a machine shop with a press to swap the bushings in my original arms I'll be screwed. I figure if I'm saving labor costs by doing it myself I can spend a little extra on parts LOL.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Cpoups
Here are some pics of my car with the coupe springs front and stock rear. https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-...ight=vmr+sedan
Looks great, thanx for posting the link! You totally made up my mind LOL!

Old 12-16-2012, 08:08 PM
OK, here's an update - I got the coupe springs and new KYB Excel G struts installed this weekend. I got KYB strut tops along with Moog strut boots so I had a complete assembly to build ahead of time. My 9-year old son and I built the first one on Friday after work, then the other on Saturday morning. Once the complete assemblies were ready, we simply had to remove the OEM strut assembly, remove the lower mounting bracket, and swap it over to the new strut. Installation was very smooth, and I'm happy with the ride. And as I hoped, the coupe front springs now make the car sit level - ground to fender lip measurement is now at 27 1/2" all around, give or take a few 1/16ths. Here's a few pics -

Name:  IMAG1304_zps88c0ae0c.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  IMAG1310_zps2e2f86d7.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  IMAG1314_zps8dda5ac5.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  68.5 KB

Name:  IMAG1328_zps97ac4088.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  96.9 KB

Next week I'm on vacation, so if Mother Nature cooperates, we'll install the KYB Excel G rear shocks and new OEM compression rods up front. Fire away if you have any questions!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 PM
egp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trunk lip

can you give me more info on getting the trunk lip? thanks

Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by egp
can you give me more info on getting the trunk lip? thanks
Here's my thread from last year when I bought and installed it. https://g35driver.com/forums/media-s...trunk-lip.html

I'm not sure if the same seller is active, so just confirm with whoever is making them now that it's 1170mm long, and you should be good to go. Hope that helps!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Funny that 07+ are cheaper. I know my bc racing coilovers will fit all those models, so I wonder if the 07+ kyb front struts will fit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '06x Front Suspension Opinions - KYB Struts, Compression Rods, etc.